Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Needs to make the Garnett Move Immediately.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WJF wrote: View Post
    I would turn my back on the team till KG was off the team. He is a punk, there would be plenty of other options that would be people and equal if not better contributors.

Fuck KG!

Comment

Garnett would be cool to have. My only worry is that Casey has an over-reliance on vets... what if he ends up overusing KG? I mean, they have history too in Minnesota.
      OG is our king

Comment

I would turn my back on the team till KG was off the team. He is a punk, there would be plenty of other options that would be people and equal if not better contributors.

Fuck KG!
        Sometimes you need a punk, because Toronto's getting punked by the refs in a lot of high-profile games.

I'm not crazy about getting KG, but Toronto needs something to help them in that department. I know people like to say the team should just have to find a way to win even despite some things, but sometimes that's just not possible. And losing one or two playoff games basically because of officiating can be all it takes to swing a whole series.

Comment

KG is a tough as nails vet that would get in the heads of guys like Bosh, Love, Noah, Horford etc.. would definitely help them get to the 2nd round.

The downside is that we'd have to give up a pick. And KG is the definition of a rental. He's retiring after this year. Is it worth a 2nd/3rd round appearance and lose a draft pick? I don't think KG can get you the belt... not at his age.

A trade is simple.. the key is we have to give back at least as much as he's making to avoid getting into tax. So Fields+Hayes contracts do it. I'd love to swap GV with Jarret Jack if possible, but don't think Brooklyn would.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            Garnett's age and expiring deal will make it hard for BKL to get good offers, and hard for many teams to make good offers. No way they'd really want to add similar money to him long-term. They'd want to still have most or all of the $12M owed him expire at the end of the season.

This helps a team like Toronto, that can match that money without giving up a core piece. Most good teams can't say that. And teams will be unlikely to give up good assets for KG at this point. Maybe a pick, or a young player, but not multiple assets like KG would've earned them in the past.
            Let's put it this way: What are you willing to give up for KG for a 4 month rental of a bench player. Probably not very much, right? Bebe? Certainly not Bruno. Your first round pick?

On the other hand, why would Brooklyn take anything less than that? They are still alive this season, so it's not like KG has no value to them. A playoff team is a playoff team, real or not. They can be talked out of Johnson and Williams because being a playoff team is probably not more valuable than saving the millions they will over the next couple of years. But they can't save money with KG, so what's the point for them of making their team worse for a second round pick? They have no future right now and no path to a future. Their best bet is to live in the present, save money wherever they can, and do their best to be a 6 or seven seed and get lucky with a first round injury to the better teams.
            That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

Fuck KG!
              How is he a punk? He's a consummate professional. Is intense. Doesn't need to score to be productive. a leader who steps it up in the playoffs. I echo other's sentiments here. I hadn't really considered it before, but it would seem like a superb short term move. We need help at the 4. He'd provide a strong Rotation with Amir and 2pat all providing different looks on O and D.

Comment

Other Scott wrote: View Post
                Let's put it this way: What are you willing to give up for KG for a 4 month rental of a bench player. Probably not very much, right? Bebe? Certainly not Bruno. Your first round pick?

On the other hand, why would Brooklyn take anything less than that? They are still alive this season, so it's not like KG has no value to them. A playoff team is a playoff team, real or not. They can be talked out of Johnson and Williams because being a playoff team is probably not more valuable than saving the millions they will over the next couple of years. But they can't save money with KG, so what's the point for them of making their team worse for a second round pick? They have no future right now and no path to a future. Their best bet is to live in the present, save money wherever they can, and do their best to be a 6 or seven seed and get lucky with a first round injury to the better teams.
                It would mostly come down to KG I think. If he wants a trade, they'll probably accommodate him. Part of the point is treating players a certain way so that players/agents see the team in a positive light.

And then the thing is no team will be willing to give up very much. So Toronto could have as good a chance as anyone given our stock of expiring garbage.

I agree it's an unlikely situation on the whole. Probably doesn't help that Brooklyn has no incentive to tank in any way because their pick this year will probably go to Atlanta (has the right to swap)....not to mention they're trading/swapping pretty much every pick they'll have for the rest of time.

Comment

I posted almost this exact same idea three weeks ago, and I still think it'd be a good move.

KG is a shell of his former self on the court but he can still produce for you, albeit in much shorter stretches. Where his real value would lie for the Raptors though would be as a defensive maestro, especially in the playoffs, while also helping JV learn first hand how to do some of the same things going forward.

Brooklyn won't give him away. The trade I suggested was the Raptors 2015 1st rounder/Hansbrough/Fields for Garnett and the Nets 2nd rounder. Raptors pick looks like it will land at 24th or later right now, where the expected value on a pick in that range is basically a career bench warmer. Plus you pick up the Nets 2nd rounder and depending on how the rest of their season goes, it may not end up being that far from the back end of the first round.

Comment

The chance to earn playoff experience, to have a player like KG and the respect and credibility he has / brings (with nba fans and refs), another leader in the dressing room, a former nba champion... that is worth an asset going the other way.

Learning how to win in the playoffs is important. And this team going to a conference finals will make the franchise more appealing to free agents and will help it get more respect around the league (so maybe one day we won't routinely get jobbed by the refs). That is worth something.

And I'll take his D against Noah or Gasol all day long.

This team has a chance to win the east, this year (but I don't like their chances unless they beef up at the 4). I don't think you can pass up an opportunity like that even if it means giving up an asset for a rental.

Comment

what happened to "KG SUCKS!"

I chanted it in the playoffs and I stand by it!

Comment

I love KG, the guy is the definition of a winner.

Here's why I don't think it makes sense:
                        1. Brooklyn has no incentive unless we overpay.
                        2. We can do better if we are going to use assets to overpay.
                        3. Val would never play the fourth again.

I would prefer we use every asset at our disposal to target a true team-changer that would move the needle, someone like Thad Young.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                          I love KG, the guy is the definition of a winner.

Here's why I don't think it makes sense:
                          1. Brooklyn has no incentive unless we overpay.
                          2. We can do better if we are going to use assets to overpay.
                          3. Val would never play the fourth again.

I would prefer we use every asset at our disposal to target a true team-changer that would move the needle, someone like Thad Young.
                          I've seen a lot of love for Thad Young...I'm still a little confused as to how people see him as a good fit and/or someone who moves the needle. I don't think he really adds anything to this team.

Comment

Reboc wrote: View Post
                            what happened to "KG SUCKS!"

I chanted it in the playoffs and I stand by it!
                            I with you.
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              I've seen a lot of love for Thad Young...I'm still a little confused as to how people see him as a good fit and/or someone who moves the needle. I don't think he really adds anything to this team.
                              Thad Young is not an all-star but he's still a very good player. He can play the 4 and the 3.. is good defensively and is a decent rebounder.

The benefit of trading for someone like Thad Young is that the Raptors will have the ability to resign Amir, Lou and Thad using their Bird rights (assuming Thad uses his player option). If the Raptors instead decide to use the cap space on a free agent they lose Lou and Amir. Punting the cap space to 2016 doesn't help much due to Ross and JV's cap holds/extensions.

I'd prefer to use Ross + some depth, and any future draft picks to get a star via a trade, then to hope a free agent wants to come here. Relying on free agency is difficult, even for a team that's pseudo-contending like the Raptors are.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                                Thad Young is not an all-star but he's still a very good player. He can play the 4 and the 3.. is good defensively and is a decent rebounder.

The benefit of trading for someone like Thad Young is that the Raptors will have the ability to resign Amir, Lou and Thad using their Bird rights (assuming Thad uses his player option). If the Raptors instead decide to use the cap space on a free agent they lose Lou and Amir. Punting the cap space to 2016 doesn't help much due to Ross and JV's cap holds/extensions.

I'd prefer to use Ross + some depth, and any future draft picks to get a star via a trade, then to hope a free agent wants to come here. Relying on free agency is difficult, even for a team that's pseudo-contending like the Raptors are.
                                Where does Young fit though? What missing talent does he add to this team?

He's a worse option at PF than the guys we have platooning it now. And he's never been a very good fit at SF. Not a good shooter (or particularly efficient scorer for a forward in general)...not a good banger/rebounder...doesn't bolster the interior D...Not really an upgrade in any way on the perimeter (not a great shooter, and what does he bring defensively that JJ doesn't do as good/better?)...

So again, what does he really add that makes him a good fit that moves the needle? I feel like our D and rebounding would get worse, and he's not a good enough offensive player in any way to offset it. He also needs to get touches in the post, while also not being a great off the ball option because of his mediocre shooting.

Just don't see the point of going after an expensive asset who adds pretty much nothing to the roster. It screams "making a move for the sake of it" to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X