No announcement yet.

[National Post] Dwane Casey on his team’s success, getting DeMar DeRozan back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonna call BS on the "our guys aren't great passers" excuse for the excessive ISO overload. If you look at guys like Lou, Demar, GV, Ross, JV etc... they are all at career lows for assist rate. They CAN pass it more and have done so before. Lou is unbelievably at half his career assist ratio and per 36. Demar dropped almost as bad since last season. Only Lowry is slightly up, since his usage has spiked to a career high. Lack of assists has nothing to do with the "capability of the personnel". Why the heck would a coach even want to put perceptions of limitations on his players on the first place, especially limitations that are statistically false? I don't get it, other than Casey just reacting defensively to a potential valid criticism of the offense?

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
      Gonna call BS on the "our guys aren't great passers" excuse for the excessive ISO overload. If you look at guys like Lou, Demar, GV, Ross, JV etc... they are all at career lows for assist rate. They CAN pass it more and have done so before. Lou is unbelievably at half his career assist ratio and per 36. Demar dropped almost as bad since last season. Only Lowry is slightly up, since his usage has spiked to a career high. Lack of assists has nothing to do with the "capability of the personnel". Why the heck would a coach even want to put perceptions of limitations on his players on the first place, especially limitations that are statistically false? I don't get it, other than Casey just reacting defensively to a potential valid criticism of the offense?
      I agree. Amir Johnson is a great passer out of the high post. James Johnson, as we all know, is a more than capable passer. Ross and Patterson have shown the ability to pass, and are probably two of the better players on the Raps in terms of quickly swinging the ball to the next option, however are used primarily as finishers. Val I think can be a very capable, but just never used.

It's a weird situation. On one hand, we are incredibly efficient and are producing...but on the other hand, I feel as if our current success is coming primarily from the first or second options of the offense, and late in games we are seeing teams tighten up (like they would in a playoff game), and the team is forced into poor offensive sets where we need an ISO to score because the play has broke down.

In the playoffs, we may struggle to score because we have not had enough reps running past the second option.

Comment

It's hard to say if this offensive scheme will struggle in the playoffs. It's easy to shut down one iso play when you see it coming, but the Raptors screen very well and can create a lot of space by having shooters on each side of the court. Even if the defense collapses in.. Lowry is really good at finding an open man. DD I thought was getting better at least before his injury. The best thing I like about the Raptors offense is that they just don't know how to quit.. even when down they fight tooth and nail for every possession.

The goal would be to get to the 2nd round anyway.. and they'll be playing either Miami, Milwaukee, Brooklyn or Cleveland (assuming they continue to struggle). I don't think any of those teams will be difficult to score on.. perhaps Milwaukee but that team is so young.

It was interesting to hear the comment about DeMar knowing the defensive schemes. GV was in the starting line, and he knew the schemes as well.. or at least better then James Johnson would. So I'm not totally buying into that excuse. I think JJ is just a better defender then DD over all.. so it will be interesting to see if DD actually helps the defense or if it will just remain the same as its been. The schedule will be easier again when DD is back so it won't really be that easy to tell the difference, at least not for awhile.

Comment

Nice article. It's almost like it's been written as a reply to all of his critics. He's addressed many of the common issues which fans with the outside looking in perspective have against Casey. Not that it will quiet all of them, but it's nice that he was able to provide a response.

I found the part about being able to live with fewer assists and the part about finding a balance between a better offense and not as good defense really interesting. This is the second time I've read an article which alludes to how closely Casey and coaches work with the stats guys. He is totally willing to change his style of coaching in order to acheive the optimal results for the team. I love this guy!

Comment

Working...
          X