Game #37: Detroit Pistons 114 - Toronto Raptors 111

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game #37: Detroit Pistons 114 - Toronto Raptors 111

Toronto 25-11, 2nd place in the Eastern Conference, 5-5 in their last 10 games

Detroit 13-24, 11th place in the Eastern Conference, 8-2 in their last 10 games

Toronto, with one eye on the return of all-star DeMar DeRozan, will try to continue righting the ship after a brutal voyage to the West Coast. James Johnson took DeRozan's place on Saturday, starting at small forward, and performed admirably. The defence improved against a well-coached, but depleted Boston squad, but there are other concerns, such as the low shooting percentage for Lou Williams (37.9%), Terrence Ross (36.6%), and Greivis Vasquez (38.8%) in the last ten games. Fortunately, all the rotation bigs are shooting over 50%, as they should be, with the exception of Patrick Patterson (46%). Tyler Hansbrough, Monocle Man, is 100% from three, but that is not enough to compensate.

Detroit, with the familiar, portly figure of Stan van Gundy on the sidelines, has finally started to come around, a third of the way through the season. Waiving Josh Smith on 22 December had the desired effect. Their starting bigs, Andre Drummond and Greg Monroe, are tough matchups for Toronto. Jonas Valanciunas needs to be at the top of his game, and the Raptors' power-forwards-by-committee need to all show up.

"It's fun, man," Jonas Jerebko told the Pistons' official website. "It's fun back at The Palace. I've seen it a few times, but it's fun seeing it two days in a row. The city is really coming behind us. We're trying to show them a good product that's easy to sell. I think it's pretty fun to watch us play right now."

Is it weird that I'm sort of rooting for Detroit? Not for this game, but in general this season. I'd much rather see them squeeze into the 8th seed over either Brooklyn or Miami.

Edit: Plus I've got Monroe on my fantasy team

Comment

8-1 since waiving Smith.

Only loss to the hawks - 106-103

After starting 5-23, Pistons now 13-24 and just 3 games out of 8th in pathetic east.

Game is no joke.

Comment

DP = double penetration. They're basically the Hornets with more depth upfront. There's little reason to believe that this will be easy. On the contrary. Potentially, we could get snakebitten.

Comment

Glad to see this thread up this early. Hate waiting till 3pm to comment
          This game is going to be really tough. And unfortunately we are going to depend on some sort of hero play. We need Lou or JV or Lowry to have an epic night shooting over 50% with 20+ PTS.

Hopefully someone will come through.

Gotta admit, a loss would be devistating.
          2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

Oh and with new found confidence, does anyone think Pistons might be holding a grudge after Raptors fans invaded the Palace earlier this season?

This is going to be a good game me thinks.

Comment

Jack is back. No worries. Guaranteed win.

Comment

I was on a piston's site just after they waived Josh Smith. One post wondered if they were going to become this year's Raptors and suddenly become a good team after trading/giving away their "best" player. I smiled because isn't that overlooking the fact that we didn't give away our player? We got an entire bench for him that helped turn our season around. Silly Piston fans. Ain't I done been smart?

Comment

I'm going to be courtside tonight!!!
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

who do the pistons play at pf? do they have monroe and drummond on at the same time? I worry about this game, it feels a bit like their strengths all align with our weaknesses strong rebounding front court, quick guard, and there's no more josh smith throwing away posessions to make it easier for us. hope valanciunas shows up real well, and one of gv ross williams hits a decent percentage.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                      I'm going to be courtside tonight!!!

Comment

hhahaah I have one of those shirts still...it...shrunk....
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                          hhahaah I have one of those shirts still...it...shrunk....
                          I will toss one down to you from the upper bowl tonight

Comment

Casey needs to use 2Pats to draw Drummond or Monroe out. Most likely won't and it'll be Amir + JV, JV gets benched Hayes comes in with 2Pats and Amir at C. If Detroit pounds it inside it'll be a close game. Without JV Drummond and Monroe will own the glass.

Comment

JV needs to have a huge game.

Also 2Pat needs to play to stretch the floor. Don't think Monroe would be comfortable on the perimeter.
                              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Working...
                              X