We are just not that good.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are just not that good.

After losing 5 of last 6 going one for January so far it seems evident that Raptors are just not that good. Things have seemed to unraveled quickly. I really have not liked KL's body language for the Phoenix and Detroit games. There are also some indications of a divide in the locker room which is of great concern . I find it hard to believe that DD's absence can by itself account for all of this. Time will tell but at this point it will not surprise me to see us get bounced in first round yet again.

The raptors are the easiest playoff team to dissect in the NBA. It may be that I spend all my basketball energy on the Raptors, but none the less our flaws are so evident, and most of it is due to coaching. This defensive system does not seem to work for the players that are on this team.

But on the other hand, CaseyLover's like to bring up last years defensive commitment which seemed to be decent, and this year prior to DeRozans injury.. So to be fair... We can't assess this team without DD.

It's like judging the Cavs without lebron... Yes.. Strangely dd makes that much of a diff.
    2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

The expectations need to be settled down. This team was never supposed to be a contender. They are still a good team. They beat the teams they are supposed to mostly (only bad losses I believe were against Charlotte, LAL and now Detroit but Detroit is hot). The concern really should be are they a treadmill team? Can they go from being in the middle of the pack to one of the top tier teams in the league?

Draft picks are funny because a guy in the 20's can become the best player out of the draft class. Probability will be low but its still probable. Raptors have some decent trade chips. They have all their draft picks, plus an additional one in 2016. They have expiring contracts to be players in free agency or bird rights to Amir/Lou to be resigned and traded in 2017/2018 for additional pieces, etc. So changes can be made.. and a big time talent can still come here. This team is not doomed.

The key for me has always been to see if JV and TR get better and if they can get passed the first round. JV is better in my opinion. TR is not, and I think he is what he is. So that's a bummer. Although I do think he'll get better when DD is back. As for getting passed the first round I think that will depend on matchups. Hopefully they get a team like Milwaukee or Indiana over Cleveland or Miami. But we'll know what our team is really like when DeMar is back which should hopefully be sooner than later.

Basically the sky has not fallen yet.

Comment

Yup, we probably need to re-adjust our expectations. Instead of looking at ourselves as the top team in the conference who's losing ground in the standings, we should look at ourselves as the Atlantic Division champs. Our team is (more or less) the exact same team as last year.

With this roster, the goal is to win a playoff series.

Comment

Comment

That hot start was the best and worst thing that could've happened.
            Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Well, it is better to be going through this slump in mid January, rather than mid April. Let's see how the teams responds to adversity. It'll help management decide which players are indeed part of the 'core' going forward.

Comment

I would also like to say there's no need to panic. This fanbase is too eager to win. Raptors didn't commit themselves to anything shortterm and are still in process of building.
                Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Well, it is better to be going through this slump in mid January, rather than mid April. Let's see how the teams responds to adversity. It'll help management decide which players are indeed part of the 'core' going forward.
                  Keep the players fire the coach then re-evaluate. Teams will be fourth regardless of anything anyway

Comment

I never thought that we were that good. Every year there's a couple of teams that start very hot, and then cool down. And I think many people could tell the whole time that if we were in the West, we'd be a fringe playoff team.
                    "Stop eating your sushi."
                    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

What is that good?

What were your expectations?

If you were thinking ECF or Finals - disappointment abounds.

If you were thinking 2nd round exit - still possible.

If you were thinking 1st round exit - you just might be right.

The Raptors team as a whole - coaches and players - just don't seem to have a very high basketball IQ.

I'm finding it really difficult because the style of play they are playing goes against all my basketball beliefs and principles.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                        What is that good?

What were your expectations?

If you were thinking ECF or Finals - disappointment abounds.

If you were thinking 2nd round exit - still possible.

If you were thinking 1st round exit - you just might be right.

The Raptors team as a whole - coaches and players - just don't seem to have a very high basketball IQ.

I'm finding it really difficult because the style of play they are playing goes against all my basketball beliefs and principles.
                        This, again, was one of my takeaways from being at the Celtic game. When the defence isn't set, and has to adjust on the fly - in transition, or off a turnover, or a serious rotation breakdown - the instincts for who should pick up who are beyond bad.
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                          This, again, was one of my takeaways from being at the Celtic game. When the defence isn't set, and has to adjust on the fly - in transition, or off a turnover, or a serious rotation breakdown - the instincts for who should pick up who are beyond bad.
                          It's pure chaos at that point. 5 guys running around trying to find someone to cover.

Comment

I feel like the changes we made in the summer have not helped. Picking up Lou seems to have made GV want to shoot more. JJ looks like he's a better player than Ross. And what has Steamer done? Nothing. He's a literal log on the bench.

Demar getting injured sucked, and now people see our flaws. What can we do?
                            Axel wrote:
                            Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                            KeonClark wrote:
                            We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                            KeonClark wrote:
                            I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

This is what i think, but im no basketball offense guru. Is it just me, or we simply use a high pick and roll EVERYTIME.. i mean thats all we do, one of the bigs sets a screen and they just play off of that. With that I feel as though our offensive sets are not diverse and really simple. Our offense is so predictable, as time goes on within the game, the defense plays zone to counter it.

Comment

Working...
                              X