2013 San Antonio Spurs slide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 San Antonio Spurs slide

After listening to the lou williams interview on Tim and Sid today something he said got me thinking. Can true contenders have slides like the raptors just had? By no means am I implying that the raptors are anywhere near the likes of the spurs but wanted to get the panels thoughts on the following;

In 2013 the Spurs lost 7 of 13 including a spread of 5 losses in 7 games.
    http://www.landofbasketball.com/resu...2014_spurs.htm

raptor_dave<> wrote: View Post
    After listening to the lou williams interview on Tim and Sid today something he said got me thinking. Can true contenders have slides like the raptors just had? By no means am I implying that the raptors are anywhere near the likes of the spurs but wanted to get the panels thoughts on the following;

In 2013 the Spurs lost 7 of 13 including a spread of 5 losses in 7 games.
    http://www.landofbasketball.com/resu...2014_spurs.htm
    Absolutely.....especially with veteran teams who are waiting for the games to really matter.

Difference is Raptors don't know what it takes to win.

Secondly the Spurs play a disciplined, team oriented game.

If Raps were playing good basketball earlier this year, id not be so concerned.

I take no comfort in a gameplan that needs referees whistles to be successfully executed.

Comment

My thoughts on San Antonio is that they've played this season with lots of key guys missing games. Parker, Leonard, Mills and Splitter have all missed 14+ games each. At first glance it looks like they're struggling, but how many teams would 24-16 missing 3 starters and their backup PG (and 2 of those guys are arguably their 2 best players) for nearly half their games?

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        My thoughts on San Antonio is that they've played this season with lots of key guys missing games. Parker, Leonard, Mills and Splitter have all missed 14+ games each. At first glance it looks like they're struggling, but how many teams would 24-16* missing 3 starters and their backup PG (and 2 of those guys are arguably their 2 best players) for nearly half their games?
        *and in the west!

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          My thoughts on San Antonio is that they've played this season with lots of key guys missing games. Parker, Leonard, Mills and Splitter have all missed 14+ games each. At first glance it looks like they're struggling, but how many teams would 24-16 missing 3 starters and their backup PG (and 2 of those guys are arguably their 2 best players) for nearly half their games?
          Not to mention they are in the WEST!

edit: McHappy beat me to it
          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

True, Raptors can not be compared to SA.
            Raptors as sad as it makes me , are not contenders this year. Still need pieces and I don't believe they will be added this season.

But if what's being asked is can a team with high aspirations go on losing streaks/slumps?
            Well.. Yeah, especially if you rely on the hot hand / ISO ball.
            2006-07 NBA Coach of the Year

Comment

Kahwi Leonard is out for more than 2 months. The MVP of 2014 finals is not a fluke, he is going to replace Ginobili. This guy is like a Hybrid Monster of the strong traits of Ginobili and Bruce-Bowen combined. Losing Kahwi for a season will cost them a Championship for sure, but the system might get them barely to the Western Conference Final.

Raps are being scouted on very hard now by many teams, we are not a surprise to all the teams. They know KLOE's tendencies, Amir's Ankles, TROSS' retardedness, and GV's stone feet.
              Last edited by tonious35; Thu Jan 15, 2015, 09:32 PM.

Comment

I don't think the Raptors are title contenders but yes, great teams go through rough stretches all the time.

Chicago has lost 4 of 5, including L's to the Jazz and Magic at home… with a couple of big blown leads sprinkled in too. They've been in the bottom 5 of the league for offensive and defensive efficiency during that 5 game period too.

Only in Raptorland do we treat a bad week like it's an unequivocal disaster that should result in the coach being fired however. The team is capable of playing much better but a rough patch doesn't necessarily mean the sky is falling.
                Last edited by Fully; Thu Jan 15, 2015, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Also I believe that Pops said that December's schedule was the toughest 1 month schedule he's ever seen. Plus I think of their losses in this stretch were in OT (or something like that).

BUUUUUT yes good teams can slump. There's nothing wrong with the idea that the raps starting winning at a +.600 clip once Derozan is integrated back into the line up.

Look at the Pacers last year, they were otherworldly in 2013 and were atrocious in 2014, but still made the conference finals!
                  "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
                  X