Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
    Not sure if losing Lowry isn't the same thing as "losing the room"
    Good point. Doesn't really matter how Yak feels about the situation. The Raps go as Lowry goes.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
      Good point. Doesn't really matter how Yak feels about the situation. The Raps go as Lowry goes.
      This.

Losing Lowry means losing the team.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
        I would be fine with Stack as interim.

Honest question - how do you guys get an informed handle on potential coaching candidates? Most of the names tossed around, I don't watch these guys' teams at all. I have no idea if they're good coaches or a good fit for this team. I might like how they're described by a quick Google search, but that's about it.
        Good question.
        NCAA guys or former NBA head coaches are straight forward. NBA assistants I have some vague idea. Foreign guys nothing beyond Google.
        Masai is gonna Masai anyway so it's just tossing names around.

Comment

• My preference would be an ex-NBA'er. Not Stackhouse.. but someone like Shane Battier.

Need a guy that Lowry would listen to. Battier played with Lowry so that could be a plus.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
            My preference would be an ex-NBA'er. Not Stackhouse.. but someone like Shane Battier.

Need a guy that Lowry would listen to. Battier played with Lowry so that could be a plus.
            Do we want to experiment with a guy who's never coached before? In a rebuilding phase, sure. But not sure that would be the best approach for the Raptors' current situation.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
              Do we want to experiment with a guy who's never coached before? In a rebuilding phase, sure. But not sure that would be the best approach for the Raptors' current situation.
              An interim this late in the season would have to be Stack or one of the ac's.
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• Lowry as player-coach is the obvious move. Kalamian would be his administrative assistant.

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                  I would be fine with Stack as interim.

Honest question - how do you guys get an informed handle on potential coaching candidates? Most of the names tossed around, I don't watch these guys' teams at all. I have no idea if they're good coaches or a good fit for this team. I might like how they're described by a quick Google search, but that's about it.
                  Depends on the guy. Im especially familiar with Obradovic from Euroleague. I saw a lot of his Panathinaikos teams games over a bunch of years. The way he designs his offence is one of the systems Pop drew inspiration from when he was shifting the Spurs offence in the mid-late 00s. It's a joy to watch.

I saw less of Messina, and even less of Blatt. So I definitely have bias in this. But i definitely prefer Obradovic. His consistent success is very appealing. Every situation he joins tends to reach new heights.

And don't necessarily think he should be the target, but if they are looking at non-NBA/American candidates, he'd be the first one I want them to contact.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
                    This is exactly my thoughts on FireCasey:

Yeah, that's one way of looking at it. Another is that he perhaps shouldn't have been brought back after his contract expired. This organization has been extremely loyal to him. He's had an excellent opportunity to be an NBA head coach again.

But he is simply not good enough if we want to aim higher. Why shouldn't we aim for the best coach money can buy? We look like we're going to spend well over the cap and in to the luxury tax on players, why wouldn't you have the best possible coach guiding them? Why wouldn't we give ourselves every advantage possible?

For me Masai can do very little wrong, he's an awesome exceptional GM, but I do blame him for being too loyal to Casey or for not seeing Casey's flaws.

Vogel would have been a big upgrade at the end of last year.

Comment

• 6 Pages of #FireCasey yesterday and not a single post today? All it took was one win

Comment

6 Pages of #FireCasey yesterday and not a single post today? All it took was one win
                        #FireCasey

Comment

6 Pages of #FireCasey yesterday and not a single post today? All it took was one win
                          Hell no. People are just waiting for the storm.... as this is the calming period. All-Star Weekend.
                          Axel wrote:
                          Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                          KeonClark wrote:
                          We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                          KeonClark wrote:
                          I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• https://twitter.com/ringer/status/832283028806311937
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Damn.

The complexity of the sideline, after-timeout play has evolved as eras have passed, but Toronto remains stuck in its paleolithic ways. Too many times, aimless plays end in isolation heaves, as though Casey and the team is bound to the idea that the fight-or-flight mechanisms that guide our survival instincts are enough to generate points under duress. The play call is obvious, and numbers bear out what the eyes have witnessed over the last three years: Since 2013–14, the Raptors’ assist rate in crunch time has remained one of the four worst in the league. The ball simply does not move, and it’s only gotten worse in this year’s downward spiral: Only the Russell Westbrook–dominated Thunder and the puppy-dog Suns have an assist percentage worse than the 32 the Raptors boast. In Toronto’s previous three seasons, the figure had never dipped below an already-low 37.2.

Lowry expressed his frustration after the Pistons loss, and the subtext was so dense you’d need a chainsaw to cut through it. “Keep [getting put in] the same situations over and over and not being successful, something gotta give, something gotta change,” Lowry said. “I have an idea, but I’ma keep my mouth shut, keep it professional.” It was in response to a more general question about their late-game execution against Detroit, but it’s been a long-running problem: Since 2013–14, the Raptors have played 129 games in which they found themselves behind by five or fewer points with no more than five minutes remaining, and they’ve won only 42 of them.

Lowry’s comments can be seen as an indictment of Casey’s lack of imagination under pressure, but here’s the secret to after-timeout wizardry: It isn’t the result of spontaneous engineering. It’s the product of practice, preparation, and trust-building, of identifying a play the team knows by heart and knowing your players have the muscle memory to pull it off under pressure. Brad Stevens has a dense ATO-play catalog, but he also drills his guys like a college team. Casey’s late-game management is indicative of a much broader issue with both imagination and preparation. An iso strips all of that away, leaving only trust, and the league is too good to operate on blind faith on a nightly basis.

An indictment of Casey’s late-game management is an indictment of Casey’s coaching as a whole.
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• An indictment of Casey’s late-game management is an indictment of Casey’s coaching as a whole.
                                Logic should be a mandatory course in school.....

Comment

Working...
                                X