Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #FireCasey

Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
    The Cavs firing Blatt was more to do with chemistry issues with him rather than his skills as a coach, the players just didn't like him. Apart from the very rare comment there's no evidence our players dislike Casey though.
    Surely player likability isn't the only criteria at play here though. Justification comes in many forms.

I would be shocked to see Casey fired this season but I hope it comes in the summer. We are limping into the playoffs, so our summer might be pretty early.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• If Casey is fired, give me your top 3 candidates? Who's even out there that you'd want?

Nick Nurse stepping up? He's been on the staff for a while, how do we know a lot of this isn't his working/influence?

Ollie? That could be a risk.

JVG? He's too opinionated for Masai

Phil Jackson? Hahahahahahahahahahahabahahaha
      Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
      Because its 2015

Comment

• Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
        If Casey is fired, give me your top 3 candidates? Who's even out there that you'd want?

Nick Nurse stepping up? He's been on the staff for a while, how do we know a lot of this isn't his working/influence?

Anyone would be a risk, really, but I'd expect Masai to go after one of the Spurs assistant coaches. Ettore Messina is the popular name, but I wouldn't be shocked if Masai went after Ime Udoka.

That said, I doubt Casey gets fired anytime soon.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• The Value of Coaching Tenure in the NBA

A few snippets from an interesting article on coaching tenure vs. results. Supports the notion that Casey could be here for a long, long time......

The Value of Coaching Tenure in the NBA
          http://chance.amstat.org/2016/11/coaching-tenure/

The Questions
          To date, Popovich has amassed an extraordinary 1,089-485 regular season record over 20 years with the Spurs. During that time, he has also been fortunate to have a stable roster filled with future Hall of Fame players.

However, to understand how the length of his tenure affected his performance as a coach, one must evaluate each of his seasons individually. Only with distinct season-by-season data can performance trends be identified and studied. Doing so requires analysis of three key areas:

1. Player Talent—Has Popovich’s success been driven more by his talented player pool than by his coaching ability?

2. Roster Continuity—If Popovich’s players had been unexceptional individually, would their stability as a unit have allowed them to thrive even in the absence of a stable coaching situation?

3. Coaching Tenure—Has Popovich’s coaching itself improved over the course of his tenure, so that, over time, the Spurs have been able to achieve more with less?

Long-tenured head coaches are defined in this analysis as having coached for at least five consecutive years with a single team. Each NBA season has 82 games and each game results in a win or a loss (no ties).

The Answer
          An analysis of all NBA head coaches since the ABA/NBA merger in 1976 reveals that longer-tenured head coaches have won approximately six more regular season games each year than the 41-win league average. About two-thirds of this differential (~4 wins) is unrelated to coaching performance and, instead, the result of longer-tenured head coaches historically being endowed with superior talent and more stable rosters. But one-third of this differential (~2 wins)—often the difference between a playoff berth and a regular season exit—is a result of head coaching performance.

Conclusion
          The evidence is clear: Long-tenured head coaches have historically outperformed their shorter-tenured counterparts. This analysis has shown that player performance, team performance, and coaching performance all improve as a coach’s tenure grows with a team.

Yet, coaching tenure has changed little over the past 40 years. Average tenure has consistently hovered around three to four years, while the tendency for mid-season firings (the so-called “trigger finger”) has been relatively stable.

The smartest general managers will seek to find the right coaches and let them stay put. History has shown that even the most revered head coaches require a few years to settle in, but once they do, look out—despite only coaching 22% of all NBA seasons, long-tenured head coaches have accounted for 28% of all playoff appearances and 35% of all NBA championships.

Comment

• I think one of our biggest problems is pat playing like absolute trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
              I think one of our biggest problems is pat playing like absolute trash.

Yeah.. he's the most affected by Lowry's absence.

Comment

He's still been solid defensively, but a) he's been hurt by the minutes he's had to spend at C, where his lacklustre rebounding really gets highlighted and b) he, along with many other shooters, has simply not been able to buy a bucket since the break. Patterson, Carroll, Tucker, DeRozan, Powell, Van Vleet and Joseph have all been bad to horrendous from 3 since the break. Pat is actually the best of them at 33%, the rest are all below 28% in that time.

Our two best three point shooters since the break: Ibaka (43% - 18/42) and Wright (40% - 4/10). That's right, Delon Wright.

Team picked a heck of a time to not be able to hit wide open shots.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Strangely, Pat is still shooting a very good .375 3P% in March, but his overall FG% this month is .333. It must be those awkward dribble drives from the perimeter that he's grown found of this season. I dunno.

Comment

Do we know if he's actually healthy?
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• S.R. wrote: View Post
                      Do we know if he's actually healthy?
                      I don't think he's been healthy all year

Comment

• Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
                        If Casey is fired, give me your top 3 candidates? Who's even out there that you'd want?

The obvious one would be Messina. The other names I'd throw out there would be Sam Cassell from the Doc Rivers coaching tree and Adrian Griffin from the Tom Thibodeau coaching tree. Downside is that they are all first time head coaches in the NBA. Not sure what retreads are available but there's probably some names of interest.

For me, I have absolutely no interest in a college coach other than maybe Calipari but I can't imagine he'd want the Toronto situation, which could be a no-win for him given expectations and, plus, he wouldn't have full control here. Still think the Knicks would be the ideal situation for him after they get rid of Jackson....

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                          The obvious one would be Messina. The other names I'd throw out there would be Sam Cassell from the Doc Rivers coaching tree and Adrian Griffin from the Tom Thibodeau coaching tree. Downside is that they are all first time head coaches in the NBA. Not sure what retreads are available but there's probably some names of interest.

For me, I have absolutely no interest in a college coach other than maybe Calipari but I can't imagine he'd want the Toronto situation, which could be a no-win for him given expectations and, plus, he wouldn't have full control here. Still think the Knicks would be the ideal situation for him after they get rid of Jackson....
                          +1. Messina is considered the successor to Pop when he retires, most likely when his contract runs out in 2019, I think. So, you probably have to pitch to poach Messina this off-season. Agreed, a big no to a college coach. Risky fit for a veteran team.

Messina - Woj interview
                          http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/s...a-10934984.php

Coaching change seems highly unlikely, no matter how the Raps season ends. Masai will opt for stability and continuity with Casey, while also re-signing Lowry & Ibaka. Any failure will be excused by Lowry's wrist that never fully healed in time for the playoffs and Lowry's questionable ASG decisions will be the scapegoated in the media. I can see the articles already.

Comment

• I don't mind a college coach.. maybe try to steal Jay Wright from Villanova? Maybe selling him on coaching Lowry again would be enough to get him to the NBA?

Comment

• Messina will be hard to pry. Udoka would be a good get

Comment

• Jangles wrote: View Post
                                Kyle injury, Carroll injury, Pat injury, integrating PJ and integrating Serge. The excuses will fly and Masai will stand pat.
                                Fuck I hope not. That would be a huge mistake by Masai. I don't know how Dwayne has kept his job this long. I really don't. That is the only part of the (fine) job Masai has done that I question. It's like a 10 liking a short, fat, bald, hairy backed dude with a bad personality and a small penis. And then on further inspection you realize he's broke too. Just... palms up.

Comment

Working...
                                X