Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post

Keep it up coach.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    You spelt tucker and Ibaka wrong
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
      I think WMCJ is one of the most thoughtful posters on these boards. If he didn't post the forum would be poorer for it.
      Agreed

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
        You spelt tucker and Ibaka wrong
        Succeeding in coach's scheme. What happens when you actually get the coach his type of personnel.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Keep it up coach.

After 4 years, yes, this (the record) is really all that matters. You guys can nitpick rotations and individual player development and roles and systems all you want. As long as they keep winning, Casey is not going anywhere nor should he be. The only thing he hasn't done yet in Toronto is win a championship.

I think he deserves quite a bit more credit than he's getting from a bunch of armchair coaches (of which I am one).
          Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Succeeding in coach's scheme. What happens when you actually get the coach his type of personnel.

Oh so we went from terrible defensively to amazing defensively literally overnight after 2 all defense acquisitions. I guess casey was just at the breakfast table eating corn flakes and went "aha! I've got it! The defense is fixed today with my scheme!"

Comment

Oh so we went from terrible defensively to amazing defensively literally overnight after 2 all defense acquisitions. I guess casey was just at the breakfast table eating corn flakes and went "aha! I've got it! The defense is fixed today with my scheme!"
              It actually is that easy. You add two defensive stalwarts to a good defensive scheme with a bunch of other guys who know the scheme but aren't maybe such good communicators on the floor, etc. and yes, a team defense can turn around that quickly and that dramatically.
              Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Well you can go the other way too.

Maybe the defensive scheme/coaching was fine but the fact that they had very few good defenders killed them. We went from having 0 good defensive bigs for the last 2 months pre all star (Patt was hurt, Bebe was fine but clearly has deficienceis) to having 3 with Patt, Ibaka and Tucker at the 4.

Also, Orlando and Phoenix weren't exactly lighting it up defensively even with Tucker and Ibaka this season

EDIT: To make my point clear, its not all 1 or the other. Your right that new personnel has helped Casey but that is partially because the previous personnel was weak (Ross is weaker than Norm or Delon too on that end) and also that Casey has coached well in putting the new guys in positions to suceed. These crunch time lineups that are killing it defensively are his creation.

Comment

We were ranked 18th in D before the trade and are like 11th now. Where we were last year. This is nothing new for Casey. You get him + defenders you will get good D.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Jrice9 wrote: View Post
                    So Casey benched his all star in the 4th quarter of a playoff game and yet that doesn't disprove that he doesn't hold players accountable. What would?
                    Bench him consistently for not playing defence. Starting years ago. That's in the past. Spilt milk.

Moving forward: Challenge him to always get down in a stance. Every time like Norm does. Challenge him to spend one summer focusing entirely on improving his defensive game (okay he can shoot some corner 3's too). If we're building a defence first team, that mentality, the whole team needs to play defence. Bench Demar consistently if he doesn't buy in.

I did like him publically challenging Demar vis a vis his Team USA defence which apparently was good / passable.

I just don't think the Indiana series was a particularly good example. Just like I wouldn't say it would be a good example of Dwayne having trust in and developing JV. He had to do something. He was all out of options with his guard / iso focused offence. And Demar couldn't defend anyone. Demar stunk. Absolutely stunk. Demar vs PG was a loser every day of the week and twice on Sunday. But Demar had a clip to empty. And he couldn't defend. Oh and JV was a stud. Probably why Casey is still in the job and Demar got paid what he did to stay.

Comment

We were ranked 18th in D before the trade and are like 11th now. Where we were last year. This is nothing new for Casey. You get him + defenders you will get good D.

What a genius. You get anyone good defenders and you'll get good D. Jesus

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        The similarities?
                        - this team is still a Lowry injury away from being average
                        - this team still lives and dies on the shooting % of 1 or 2 players
                        - this team still lives and dies on the bail out 3pt shooting % of a couple players
                        - this team still can't be bothered to establish an inside game (not exclusively talking about JV)
                        - this team still can't be bothered to develop alternative scoring options during the regular season, should they be required in the playoffs
                        This is pretty much applicable for all high level teams not named the Warriors, isn't it? And some of your talking points would even apply to them.

Comment

Tell me what happening in Orlando, Cleveland and Boston just for some examples.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

I agree with your overall point. Casey doesn't deserve much, if any of the credit for the defensive turnaround. A defensive wizard he is not. But you can go back a few pages in this thread and hear that the reason that the team was average or below on defence was his fault, despite having average or below average personnel. That's kind of what I find illogical - personnel doesn't matter when the defence slides; that is Casey's fault. When the defence gets better, Casey gets no credit... it's all personnel.

Comment

Tell me what happening in Orlando, Cleveland and Boston just for some examples.

Isaiah Thomas, Kyrie Irving, kevin Love are some of the worst defenders around lol

Orlando is a non starting point they're just bad

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
                                I agree with your overall point. Casey doesn't deserve much, if any of the credit for the defensive turnaround. A defensive wizard he is not. But you can go back a few pages in this thread and hear that the reason that the team was average or below on defence was his fault, despite having average or below average personnel. That's kind of what I find illogical - personnel doesn't matter when the defence slides; that is Casey's fault. When the defence gets better, Casey gets no credit... it's all personnel.
                                Oh I do agree you can't have it both ways. I've read your posts and you seem to be fair and balanced for the most part, unlike they who shall not be named on BOTH sides of the endless fire casey argument, it's either never his fault or always his fault, which is why this thread never goes anywhere

Comment

Working...
                                X