#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Isaiah Thomas, Kyrie Irving, kevin Love are some of the worst defenders around lol

Orlando is a non starting point they're just bad
    Both Boston and Cleveland were better the year before. Those worse defenders in the league were on those teams as well.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
      I agree with your overall point. Casey doesn't deserve much, if any of the credit for the defensive turnaround. A defensive wizard he is not. But you can go back a few pages in this thread and hear that the reason that the team was average or below on defence was his fault, despite having average or below average personnel. That's kind of what I find illogical - personnel doesn't matter when the defence slides; that is Casey's fault. When the defence gets better, Casey gets no credit... it's all personnel.
      I think Casey is a decent defensive coach. I don't have any problems with him there (consistent application of defensive accountability aside). I think we have to give him that. And I do hope with the personnel he now has that he can show us what he can do. My problem with Casey is purely on the offensive side of the ball.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        That is due to the lack of creativity from Casey, or the inability to draw upon the natural strengths of the player... or his stubbornness. Probably all of the above.

Whether it's Powell or Ross before him, Casey forces them to play DeRozan's game with the bench unit, as DD-lite. It's no different from how Casey has forced Joseph, and Vasquez before him, to change their game to become Lowry-lite.

It's no longer worth getting annoyed with, as long as Casey is the coach.
        When other teams star players sits do those teams completely change their system to fit the remaining players? Making such drastic changes mid game are really difficult to adjust to. So yeah Whether it's Norm or Cojo, I think you would want to stick to the same system as much as possible when DD or Lowry sits. I mean these guys are basketball players, not brain surgeons.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
          When other teams star players sits do those teams completely change their system to fit the remaining players? Making such drastic changes mid game are really difficult to adjust to. So yeah Whether it's Norm or Cojo, I think you would want to stick to the same system as much as possible when DD or Lowry sits. I mean these guys are basketball players, not brain surgeons.
          No, but it does change. You think Curry and Livingston play the same way? You use your players and play them to their strengths, not play the exact same way even if they don't work. Casey's offense is the same with the starters or bench, its always dribble drive and create something for yourself or others.

Comment

• big boi wrote: View Post
            I think Casey is a decent defensive coach. I don't have any problems with him there (consistent application of defensive accountability aside). I think we have to give him that. And I do hope with the personnel he now has that he can show us what he can do. My problem with Casey is purely on the offensive side of the ball.
            Well FWIW, the Raptors are top 5 in the league in ORTG. So make of that what you will. Last year they were top 5 as well.

Comment

• Face it, Casey has adapted well and weathering the storm like a boss.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                No, but it does change. You think Curry and Livingston play the same way? You use your players and play them to their strengths, not play the exact same way even if they don't work. Casey's offense is the same with the starters or bench, its always dribble drive and create something for yourself or others.
                Yeah, but they aren't throwing the ball into the post to Bogut..er Speights...who the hell is the centre on that team? Point is they run the same system despite if Curry is in the line up or not. When DeMar or Lowry sits they won't be going exclusively to JV in the post like this was the Orlando Shaq or Howard days. They will stick to the same system. This shouldn't surprise anyone as all teams do the same thing.

Comment

• For those dismissing stack as being an nba head coach soon..he wants it, and soon

https://theringer.com/nba-d-league-c...32a#.1k0x0zbo9
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

For those dismissing stack as being an nba head coach soon..he wants it, and soon

Great read.

Comment

For those dismissing stack as being an nba head coach soon..he wants it, and soon

Man I really wish we would just let him take Casey's spot next year.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                        Yeah, but they aren't throwing the ball into the post to Bogut..er Speights...who the hell is the centre on that team? Point is they run the same system despite if Curry is in the line up or not. When DeMar or Lowry sits they won't be going exclusively to JV in the post like this was the Orlando Shaq or Howard days. They will stick to the same system. This shouldn't surprise anyone as all teams do the same thing.
                        The problem is JV sometimes gets no touches at all. No one expects a major overhaul, but a couple of touches isn't something thats difficult to implement.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                          Face it, Casey has adapted well and weathering the storm like a boss.
                          I saw some post earlier (can't find it now) complaining about how the Raps are an injury to Lowry away from being average. Yet, with Lowry out, the Raps are something like 10-5. The Celtics, and current NBA genius Brad Stevens, are 2-4 without Thomas and 7-7 without Horford. The Lebrons are, shockingly, 0-5 without Lebron. Even the vaunted Warriors needed close to 3 weeks to get it together after Durant went down.

So, despite the fact that the systems are terrible, the coach inflexible and resolute in his refusal to make any changes or adjustments or hold anyone accountable for anything, the team still manages to hold its own without its top guy. There are times to hammer the coach (always are) but doing it during a 10-5 stretch, including 8 road games on the road and 15 games in about 28 days - all without their best player - perhaps isn't the best time to make your case....

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                            I saw some post earlier (can't find it now) complaining about how the Raps are an injury to Lowry away from being average. Yet, with Lowry out, the Raps are something like 10-5. The Celtics, and current NBA genius Brad Stevens, are 2-4 without Thomas and 7-7 without Horford. The Lebrons are, shockingly, 0-5 without Lebron. Even the vaunted Warriors needed close to 3 weeks to get it together after Durant went down.

So, despite the fact that the systems are terrible, the coach inflexible and resolute in his refusal to make any changes or adjustments or hold anyone accountable for anything, the team still manages to hold its own without its top guy. There are times to hammer the coach (always are) but doing it during a 10-5 stretch, including 8 road games on the road and 15 games in about 28 days - all without their best player - perhaps isn't the best time to make your case....
                            Context though. I'll be the first to say I'm pleased as punch with the job Casey's done over this Lowry-less stretch. He's exceeding my ".640 without Lowry" criteria, so props to Case. But the timing of Lowry's injury with the infusion of Ibaka and Tucker as our 2nd and 3rd most important players, is nothing short of exquisite. And to a lesser degree getting Delon back, who is finally healthy. Not sure any of those other teams had that kind of depth incoming when their top dog went out, so the comparison isn't that solid.

If anything, it illustrates how deep our roster is, in comparison to Boston and Cleveland anyway. Building deep rosters without uber elite talent is what Masai also did in Denver.
                            Last edited by golden; Fri Mar 24, 2017, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
                              Well FWIW, the Raptors are top 5 in the league in ORTG. So make of that what you will. Last year they were top 5 as well.
                              Yeah, and I suppose this is where we get back to where we started. I would tend to attribute our offensive success to gifted scorers on the team rather than any offensive plan by Casey. What Casey has done for sure, is give KL and DD the keys to the offence and the freedom to be unconscionable in the amount of shots they take / force. It's definitely been good for KL and definitely for DD.

But what happens when it doesn't work? Is there a plan b or a plan c? Many of us have asked for a plan b to be developed during the season rather than waiting until the playoffs. Involving JV in the offence more. As a 3rd option. And not waiting until the playoffs and better permiter defending to throw the hot potato JV's way.

Now we have a better team. Defensively and offensively. I want to see an offence that prioritises ball (and player) movement. At least as a plan b. We have Ibaka, we have PJ. I would like KL and DD to play within the context of a ball moving offence. Rather than Casey running them in to the teeth of the opposing defence, surprising nobody, time and time again and of course in crunch time.

KL and DD are good enough to beat up on the average teams in the NBA. But in 7 game series, teams having the chance to adapt, against better competition I believe ball movement and hitting the open man will work better. And we can do it. I've seen it. It's great to watch. And it's effective and efficient.

And many of us think we should have developed this plan b throughout the season if not 3 seasons ago.

Maybe this thread has devolved. Maybe both sides are so entrenched and eager to demonize each other's opinions, call each other haters or homers. I'd like to think it's more nuanced than that. Perhaps the thread title should be changed to all things Casey. Tho I believe we could benefit from an upgrade, perhaps there is a case that the title alone is provocative to those on the other side of the argument.

Comment

• Context though. I'll be the first to say I'm pleased as punch with the job Casey's done over this Lowry-less stretch. He's exceeding my ".640 without Lowry" criteria, so props to Case. But the timing of Lowry's injury with the infusion of Ibaka and Tucker as our 2nd and 3rd most important players, is nothing short of exquisite. And to a lesser degree getting Delon back, who is finally healthy. Not sure any of those other teams had that kind of depth incoming when their top dog went out, so the comparison isn't that solid.

If anything, it illustrates how deep our roster is, in comparison to Boston and Cleveland anyway. Building deep rosters without uber elite talent is what Masai also did in Denver.
                                An enormous credit to the players is first and foremost. Derozan has been great and they've received contributions from any number of players. Ibaka and Tucker have provided huge boosts on both ends and guys like Poeltl, Wright and Powell have had terrific games along the way. Even Patterson and Carroll have had their moments despite the woeful shooting.

Comment

Working...
                                X