No announcement yet.

#FireCasey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm really pleased about the recent change in style of play, i.e., (1) Everybody playing defence, (2) Demar moving the ball..... for an entire game.

I just hope it's sustainable with DD for now, and more importantly, when Lowry gets back. At times, Lowry and DD tend to lose trust in their teammates and go into buddy ball / hero mode, which also sabotages their perimeter defense. I've been saying all along that as soon as Kyle and DeMar start to play defense, the rest of the team will follow. Thanks PJ for delivering that message.

If the team can sustain ball movement as a regular part of the offense, I believe that the shooters will get into a rhythm with consistent touches, be alert and make shots more consistently. It's just common sense. It will take some pressure off Lowry and DD to create and they will be able to win games with their defense, like DeMar is showing. This team has a lot of weapons.

Comment

• Jrice9 wrote: View Post
      The complicated part of this is that I was responding to a different person originally so fair enough if you don't want to go further.
      I also don't want to go over Casey's entire history of poor accountability. It goes way beyond not holding Demar accountable.

Suffice it to say that if you couldn't see this would be an obvious issue with him right away, I don't know what to tell you. The defensive coach, who supposedly wants guys to earn their time, benched Kyle Lowry for Jose because Jose ran the p'n'r better....even though Jose is a worse player on both ends than Lowry. It almost cost us Lowry in the long run (Masai saved that), and made no sense from any perspective of accountability. Almost worse was when Ross was benched in his rookie year for Anderson, who was slumping even worse than Ross but got way more minutes over like a 2-month stretch..."hey Terry, you have to learn to earn your minutes, so sit and watch this vet who's playing worse than you in every way to see how it's done".

The guy clearly has no understanding of how to hold his players accountable.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Jrice9 wrote: View Post
        The complicated part of this is that I was responding to a different person originally so fair enough if you don't want to go further.
        Fair enough. Don't want to be a dick - written about it ad nauseum (as have plenty of folks) - and doubt if at least a few people in here want to see me repeat myself

Was just responding to the one specific element you mentioned re Demar. But if you're in to some light reading, the last 50 pages or so will provide a flavour... he heh

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          I also don't want to go over Casey's entire history of poor accountability. It goes way beyond not holding Demar accountable.

Suffice it to say that if you couldn't see this would be an obvious issue with him right away, I don't know what to tell you. The defensive coach, who supposedly wants guys to earn their time, benched Kyle Lowry for Jose because Jose ran the p'n'r better....even though Jose is a worse player on both ends than Lowry. It almost cost us Lowry in the long run (Masai saved that), and made no sense from any perspective of accountability. Almost worse was when Ross was benched in his rookie year for Anderson, who was slumping even worse than Ross but got way more minutes over like a 2-month stretch..."hey Terry, you have to learn to earn your minutes, so sit and watch this vet who's playing worse than you in every way to see how it's done".

The guy clearly has no understanding of how to hold his players accountable.

You can't win 300+ games over your career without holding a player accountable. Only a handful of coaches that have reach that mark.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
            I'm really pleased about the recent change in style of play, i.e., (1) Everybody playing defence, (2) Demar moving the ball..... for an entire game.

I just hope it's sustainable with DD for now, and more importantly, when Lowry gets back. At times, Lowry and DD tend to lose trust in their teammates and go into buddy ball / hero mode, which also sabotages their perimeter defense. I've been saying all along that as soon as Kyle and DeMar start to play defense, the rest of the team will follow. Thanks PJ for delivering that message.

If the team can sustain ball movement as a regular part of the offense, I believe that the shooters will get into a rhythm with consistent touches, be alert and make shots more consistently. It's just common sense. It will take some pressure off Lowry and DD to create and they will be able to win games with their defense, like DeMar is showing. This team has a lot of weapons.
            That's just it. That's what's infuriating. They're capable of good basketball. Very good basketball. They play that way and lose I'll live with it. But when they revert to iso ball it is maddening. And the result is inevitable. Poor basketball isn't just poor aesthetically it inevitably leads to poor results. Not in every game, but on average.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
              You can't win 300+ games over your career without holding a player accountable. Only a handful of coaches that have reach that mark.

Oh he holds some players accountable... JV he has on an extremely tight leash. Sometimes fairly sometimes unfairly imnsho. Accountability isn't consistently applied. And that won't always sit well with teammates / the team. And for this team to win anything against the competition they have, they need to gel perfectly to essentially strike lightening in a bottle. Can't have passengers on defence impacting game play or team morale.

Comment

• http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...tors/92835626/

Why DeMar DeRozan's defense is key to Raptors

"I told him this summer: He told on himself with the U.S. team, I said, 'How come you can go play for Mike Krzyzewski and play defense but you come here and we have to hide you defensively?'" Casey said. "When he makes the muscle he can get down and guard and defend. That's the growth of DeMar DeRozan, is him saying, 'Let me guard that guy?' And taking it on as a challenge."

Comment

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...tors/92835626/

Why DeMar DeRozan's defense is key to Raptors
                  Casey talks a good game, but then why did it take most of a season and the addition of a new voice to the locker room to get any semblance of defensive effort from demar?

He's just another motivational coach who can't motivate.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                    Casey talks a good game, but then why did it take most of a season and the addition of a new voice to the locker room to get any semblance of defensive effort from demar?

He's just another motivational coach who can't motivate.
                    Accountability plays a part here. DD before the last 2 games was not a good defender, sometimes even horrible, but Casey never held him accountable, so why bother playing defense if you're not going to get benched or have your minutes taken away. Tucker called Derozan out on it (in a good way) and Derozan is starting to put some effort in defensively.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                      Accountability plays a part here. DD before the last 2 games was not a good defender, sometimes even horrible, but Casey never held him accountable, so why bother playing defense if you're not going to get benched or have your minutes taken away. Tucker called Derozan out on it (in a good way) and Derozan is starting to put some effort in defensively.
                      And while its good to have vocal leaders in the locker room, you shouldn't have to depend on a role player who may only be on the team a few months to hold one of your stars accountable. If anything you would rather the opposite and have stars who lead by example and make sure everyone else is held accountable, including them being able to accept a benching so it's clear accountability is somewhat equal and the coach doesn't play favourites.

Comment

• Tbh this thread is tiresome. Love or hate casey, it's the 2nd day of spring, we're pushing hard to chase Washington, playing a bulls team tonight we haven't beaten in years, we have new acquisitions looking great, Lowry hopefully a couple weeks from returning, there's so much to talk about, and half the board is hung up on firing Casey and buzzwords like "accountability".

He's not getting fired anytime soon. Personally I too would prefer a new coach but id rather go really far and keep this coach, if the alternative is flaming out and going "i told ya so", no thanks. It's become like an unhealthy obsession, we just had a GREAT win and a huge game tonight and this rages on.
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• I hope we go far too. I'd be happy to be told "I told you so" from a few people on here. I don't think anyone is rooting for the team to fail - I'm certainly not. People have been frustrated.

This team CAN play well under Casey. Will it be enough? I'm not sure. But I'll take our chances with them playing good basketball, Lowry healthy and energized and a team commitment to defence with no passengers... sign me up for that. Cuz that team goes to the ECF, which is where we should be, and that team has a chance.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            Tbh this thread is tiresome. Love or hate casey, it's the 2nd day of spring, we're pushing hard to chase Washington, playing a bulls team tonight we haven't beaten in years, we have new acquisitions looking great, Lowry hopefully a couple weeks from returning, there's so much to talk about, and half the board is hung up on firing Casey and buzzwords like "accountability".

He's not getting fired anytime soon. Personally I too would prefer a new coach but id rather go really far and keep this coach, if the alternative is flaming out and going "i told ya so", no thanks. It's become like an unhealthy obsession, we just had a GREAT win and a huge game tonight and this rages on.
                            That's what happens when you hate on a coach that keeps winning. Here I thought the main objective for a coach was to win. I guess in RR it's holding Debo accountable. It's not like DD has never been benched before or anything.

IT the worse defensive guard in the league has yet to be held accountable for his defence. How many times has Kyrie been benched for bad D? The double standard for Casey on here is ridiculous and hilarious at the same time.

Last edited by Chr1s1anL; Tue Mar 21, 2017, 02:58 PM.
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                              Tbh this thread is tiresome. Love or hate casey, it's the 2nd day of spring, we're pushing hard to chase Washington, playing a bulls team tonight we haven't beaten in years, we have new acquisitions looking great, Lowry hopefully a couple weeks from returning, there's so much to talk about, and half the board is hung up on firing Casey and buzzwords like "accountability".

This whole board is an unhealthy obsession to the rest of the normal world. lol. Nothing wrong with this discussion either. It's a classic "Process vs. Results" debate. we've had many times. Wins are great, but if we're not playing a style that is going to give us the best chance to win in the playoffs, then.... meh. But we're seeing signs of encouragement the last 2 games, with respect to ball movement and defense.

Even better, I just listened to a DeRozan clip on the FAN, where he said something very close to this: ".... scoring is cool, but if we want to win the playoffs, we have to play defense. All of us. 1 through 5. Nobody is exempt......". This is new. This is progress. The PJ effect.

Small sample size, sure, but whether it's PJ or Casey causing these things to happen, I don't really care. I just hope it's sustainable when Lowry gets back and into the playoffs. If the changes have been mainly due to Masai bringing in better and higher character players, then yeah I guess you could question whether or not you could just plug a coach like Mike Woodson into the mix and get the same results. And if Masai should be aiming for better than a Woodson/Casey, since we need every possible advantage to beat Lebron. Or perhaps Casey will be our Cito Gaston - I really hope so.
                              Last edited by golden; Tue Mar 21, 2017, 04:18 PM.

Comment

This whole board is an unhealthy obsession to the rest of the normal world. lol. Nothing wrong with this discussion either. It's a classic "Process vs. Results" debate. we've had many times. Wins are great, but if we're not playing a style that is going to give us the best chance to win in the playoffs, then.... meh. But we're seeing signs of encouragement the last 2 games, with respect to ball movement and defense.

Even better, I just listened to a DeRozan clip on the FAN, where he said something very close to this: ".... scoring is cool, but we if we want to win the playoffs, we have to play defense. All of us. 1 through 5. Nobody is exempt......". This is new. This is progress. The PJ effect.

Small sample size, sure, but whether it's PJ or Casey causing these things to happen, I don't really care. I just hope it's sustainable when Lowry gets back and into the playoffs. If the changes have been mainly due to Masai bringing in better and higher character players, then yeah I guess you could question whether or not you could just plug a coach like Mike Woodson into the mix and get the same results. And if Masai should be aiming for better than a Woodson/Casey, since we need every possible advantage to beat Lebron. Or perhaps Casey will be our Cito Gaston - I really hope so.
                                I still think Casey is like our Mark Jackson; we may be a Steve Kerr away from competing in the Finals.

Comment

Working...
                                X