Raptors Coaching Really Makes Me Wonder Sometimes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors Coaching Really Makes Me Wonder Sometimes

This isn't a thread to vent or go off on Jay and company, but come'on ....seriously now. This should of been something you practiced at the start of this season and throughout the previous seasons too seeing how "boxing out" has been non-existent in Toronto for as long as I can remember.

Johnson responded to Friday’s start with a solid game, contributing 18 points and 13 rebounds in a season-high 35 minutes. He’ll be crucial to Toronto’s success today against a Bulls team that leads the NBA in rebounding. In Joakim Noah and Taj Gibson, the Bulls also have two young, athletic front court starters who are active on the glass.

“We all have to pitch in and rebound like a group. We practised (Saturday) on boxing out. We really have to come in as a team and rebound,” Johnson said.
    Source - Click here

I'm curious where he states that they haven't practiced boxing out earlier.

And, quite frankly, isn't boxing out something you should have learned BEFORE you made it to the NBA?
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

TIm W. wrote: View Post
      I'm curious where he states that they haven't practiced boxing out earlier.

And, quite frankly, isn't boxing out something you should have learned BEFORE you made it to the NBA?
      There are basics with respect to boxing out and there is boxing out relative to the type of defense that the team is using.

I doubt that BC15 is referring to basic boxing out. I think what he is talking about is how the Raptors plan to handle their box out assignments based upon the defensive coverage that they will be employing today
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

I totally want to be a fly-on-the-wall for every practice the Raptors go through in the regular season. Does Marc Iovaroni, Jay Triano, little midget dude, Alvin Williams (by default he is safe), Alex English, and Hughes really garner the attention and respect of the players? A handful of Raptors players' accountability is in question every game and that is pretty unacceptable for an NBA franchise.

For Charlotte, with their current player roster, imagine if Larry Brown was not the coach? Those players would throw any other coach under the bus, or the coach would run away at the sight of Stephen Jackson.

We all WANT to have leaders or bosses we can relate to when working with them. What we really NEED are are leaders and bosses that can be able to not just inspire you to work harder and smarter, but can at times scare you into working harder and smarter.

Comment

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
          There are basics with respect to boxing out and there is boxing out relative to the type of defense that the team is using.

I doubt that BC15 is referring to basic boxing out. I think what he is talking about is how the Raptors plan to handle their box out assignments based upon the defensive coverage that they will be employing today
          I think there's at least one Raptor that needs to learn the basics of boxing out. Not naming any names...
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

The fact that this NBA team took special care to practice something fundamental to the game of basketball is the elephant in the room. Not the severity or level of its implementation.

Comment

I think the fact that they needed to dedicate an entire practice to something that's so fundamental and something that should be a natural instinct on this level is troubling in itself. Dedicating an entire practice to boxing out is like an NHL coach dedicating an entire practice to defensemen giving the goalie a clean look at the shooter. It's just something you're suppose to know and do without thinking at the pro level. How does one land $50M contracts without knowing when/how to box a guy out. When you're learning its about presence of mind and when it's learned it should be natural. I think for the Raptors is all about effort. These guys know how and when to box out, come on now... MLSE needs to buy 15 mirrors and install them in the dressing room.
              Last edited by Apollo; Mon Apr 12, 2010, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X