Potential Coaching Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    Am I the only one who says F No to Thibs?

He is a terrible coach at developing young talent...and I want the Raps to follow the Spurs model where they build through the draft
    Mirotoc, McDermott, Fredette, Snell all got some burn under Thibs. He plays younger players more than DC and at least has them defending. An inability to sink open shots isn't on the coach

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
      Mirotoc, McDermott, Fredette, Snell all got some burn under Thibs. He plays younger players more than DC and at least has them defending. An inability to sink open shots isn't on the coach
      Only when there are injuries.

Snell has been buried under that bench for years..

Fredette never was any good

Mirotic and McDermott have only gotten PT due to injuries to Taj and not having a SF.

Comment

Mirotic and McDermott have only gotten PT due to injuries to Taj and not having a SF.
        Chicago is a perenial deep playoff team (diff from the Raptors). They are a more mature team and so the timeline for their rooks are somewhat different. Thibs emphasis re his young/and all players is on defense ...they play D or they sit and I am fine with that. I believe his practices determine their pt...which is also fine by me. Re Mirotic, I think he has superseded Gibson in terms of productivity and Taj may have to take a back seat again. Butler wasnt mentioned as well but I understand he is a special player. All to say...Thibs tends to get a rough rap because he is a no nonsense gruff type personality but that he is a good coach? yep....cant get it all I suppose

Comment

Am I the only one who says F No to Thibs?

He is a terrible coach at developing young talent...and I want the Raps to follow the Spurs model where they build through the draft
          OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post

How is he terrible at development? He's had a mandate to win a championship since he took the job, and he's still managed to find time for young players when he can, even if it is associated to injuries.

Butler's done pretty well under him, and he was considered a low-ceiling draft pick. Mirotic is thriving, but it's not Thibs fault they have a crowded frontcourt (which has pushed McDermott out, along with the fact that he himself has had injury issues), and it's hard to juggle rotations.

As for Snell, it's his 2nd season (so I don't know how he could be buried on the bench for years), and he's still managed to give him any minutes he can find for him. He appeared in 77 games last year, and is on pace to probably hit around 70 again this season. His stats have at least slightly gone up, and he was also not projected as more than a role player.

Seems to me Thibs is doing pretty well with the young pieces they have. We're also not exactly talking blue chip prospects here.

He's obviously not going to completely commit to playing youth over vets when, again, the expectation is winning a ring. However he still finds minutes for his young players, and they generally tend to improve under him as he at least tries to put them in position to be successful.

Also pretty important that no young players (that have proven they have some NBA skill) have flopped and lost confidence under him. Guys are ready to play. They contribute when they play, and again, they've been more likely to improve than regress.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
            Chicago is a perenial deep playoff team (diff from the Raptors). They are a more mature team and so the timeline for their rooks are somewhat different. Thibs emphasis re his young/and all players is on defense ...they play D or they sit and I am fine with that. I believe his practices determine their pt...which is also fine by me. Re Mirotic, I think he has superseded Gibson in terms of productivity and Taj may have to take a back seat again. Butler wasnt mentioned as well but I understand he is a special player. All to say...Thibs tends to get a rough rap because he is a no nonsense gruff type personality but that he is a good coach? yep....cant get it all I suppose
            Butler should be mentioned because nobody on the planet thought he'd be a special (ie all star) player when he was drafted.

Comment

• DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
              ummm im on the Spurs coaching staff so I know how good his assistants are? (syke) Is that the answer you were looking for? Seriously though if you follow a team pretty closely and read about the coach, i think you can have an opinion.
              Ok. Give me a name. An assistant coach or a college coach or whatever that you think would be a good fit here. Tell me why he's a good coach. What is his strength as a coach. Tell me why he could be a good fit here. Give me your OWN opinion of the coach.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                Butler should be mentioned because nobody on the planet thought he'd be a special (ie all star) player when he was drafted.
                Agreed. Noah (DPOY) and Rose (MVP) also exceeded their ceilings. The only complaint people have about Thibs is that he burns out his guys in the regular season and even practice.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                  Agreed. Noah (DPOY) and Rose (MVP) also exceeded their ceilings. The only complaint people have about Thibs is that he burns out his guys in the regular season and even practice.
                  And I still find that complaint pretty overstated as well. He's not really had very deep rosters. Mostly he played Deng a lot, but they had a bad wing rotation most years he's been the coach.

Comment

• Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau had high praise for Lowry. After listing Lowry's positive attributes such as his shooting, finishing and competitive nature, Thibodeau called the Raptors star "one of the elite point guards in our league."

http://espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=400579317
                    Thibs is preparing for his next job.

Comment

• Can't wait to complain about JV getting too many minutes
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• I am fine with the following coaches:

1. Thibs. Elite defensive coach. Large playoff experience, has the respect of his players. Even tho hes tough on his young players, his track record has shown he has developed good talent. Jimmy Butler (30th pick) has turned into a max contract player in his system

2. Fred Hoidberg - could be a Brad Stevens type of hire

3. Steve Nash - Could easily be a Steve Kerr or Jason Kidd type of hire. Nash is Canadian too, so theres reason to believe he would return back home. He's a 2x MVP player who has extremely high IQ and the respect of his fellow players

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                          Can't wait to complain about JV getting too many minutes
                          I got 99 complaints but JV getting too many minutes ain't 1.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            How is he terrible at development? He's had a mandate to win a championship since he took the job, and he's still managed to find time for young players when he can, even if it is associated to injuries.

Butler's done pretty well under him, and he was considered a low-ceiling draft pick. Mirotic is thriving, but it's not Thibs fault they have a crowded frontcourt (which has pushed McDermott out, along with the fact that he himself has had injury issues), and it's hard to juggle rotations.

As for Snell, it's his 2nd season (so I don't know how he could be buried on the bench for years), and he's still managed to give him any minutes he can find for him. He appeared in 77 games last year, and is on pace to probably hit around 70 again this season. His stats have at least slightly gone up, and he was also not projected as more than a role player.

Seems to me Thibs is doing pretty well with the young pieces they have. We're also not exactly talking blue chip prospects here.

He's obviously not going to completely commit to playing youth over vets when, again, the expectation is winning a ring. However he still finds minutes for his young players, and they generally tend to improve under him as he at least tries to put them in position to be successful.

Also pretty important that no young players (that have proven they have some NBA skill) have flopped and lost confidence under him. Guys are ready to play. They contribute when they play, and again, they've been more likely to improve than regress.
                            My bad with Snell. Was thinking of Lamb for some stupid reason....derp (Scott Brooks actually sucks though)

I think I may be skewed by the Boozer/Gibson ordeal but I guess he isn't as bad as my original opinion there.

We need a really strong offensive coordinator to put along side Thibs, and he has to be willing to listen to them, unlike Casey. I think I would prefer to have a more balanced head coach who was about 60/40 offense/defense.

Comment

• Still would really like to see Nash on the coaching staff. Even if not as head coach, definitely as assistant. He has too smart of a basketball mind to not utilize.

Throw Tyronne Lue money at him and I'm sure he'd be okay with being an assistant.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                                I got 99 complaints but JV getting too many minutes ain't 1.
                                same here, except for when it's 12 minutes straight haha

Comment

Working...
                                X