Potential Coaching Candidates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Yep. Whereas the gravitas a star has can quickly wear off if he doesn't understand how to relate to his players and help them be more successful.
    Are you saying Kobe's teammates don't like him anymore?
    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
      Are you saying Kobe's teammates don't like him anymore?
      hahahaha

Did they ever "like" him?

Comment

What about Patrick Ewing??? Hes always wanted to be a h.c. but never got the chance so why not give him the shot??? He great at player development and was a defensive force so he might switch our defense to a more traditional one where jv would excel and guard would fight over screens. Also bring s big himself he'd probably run more offense through the post (inside out instead of the brick factory store currently in place).

Also Brent Barry. This guy does a killer job as an analyst (great basketball IQ) and has played for championship teams and championship coaches. Could be an interesting choice

Comment

j_val_for_mayor wrote: View Post
          What about Patrick Ewing??? Hes always wanted to be a h.c. but never got the chance so why not give him the shot??? He great at player development and was a defensive force so he might switch our defense to a more traditional one where jv would excel and guard would fight over screens. Also bring s big himself he'd probably run more offense through the post (inside out instead of the brick factory store currently in place).

Also Brent Barry. This guy does a killer job as an analyst (great basketball IQ) and has played for championship teams and championship coaches. Could be an interesting choice
          So many teams have passed on Ewing that you almost assume something must be wrong with him. I completely forgot about him to be honest. He'd definitely institute a more JV focused offence.

Never considered Barry before but he is clearly an intelligent basketball mind. Follows the Steve Kerr logic in many ways.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

j_val_for_mayor wrote: View Post

Hard to know. Just read a couple articles on him and it seems at least that he's humble and hungry as a coach. Doesn't seem to be resting on his reputation and playing accolades.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
              So many teams have passed on Ewing that you almost assume something must be wrong with him. I completely forgot about him to be honest. He'd definitely institute a more JV focused offence.

Never considered Barry before but he is clearly an intelligent basketball mind. Follows the Steve Kerr logic in many ways.
              He's actually only had 2 head coaching interviews, so it depends what you mean by so many teams passing on him. Hard to know if that's because he doesn't seem qualified, or if there's some bias because he's a former big man and star. I have no clue if he'd be good, but he has coached awhile now, and is the top assistant (associate head coach) in Charlotte.

Comment

The Minny thing gives him some credence, he left because of Kahn. Clearly he was smarter than the higher ups in the franchise, but I guess that bar is pretty low.
                Did he? I wasn't aware of that was the reason. Do you have a source?

Cool if speculation on your part. You're probably right - lol

Comment

I wouldn't mind them giving Ewing a interview, I think he would instill better defense and include our bigs more.

Comment

I think a lot has to do with egos as well. Bit/role players can learn more from having to fit in and maximize a limited skill/talent level. However they also have lesser egos, and understand what it's like to not be the star, and what it takes for a team to be successful in terms of guys coming together and buying in. I think they have a big advantage in dealing with personalities/egos whereas former stars struggle to relate to the different guys on their roster. They seem to have a "why can't these guys do it like I used to/am telling them to?" problem.
                    I've actually had this talk with quite a few of my close friends. I tend to be of the belief that a star who had a scorers mentality, or who carried a team will struggle as a coach simply for the fact that they see the game through a different set of eyes. A role player, or a star who excelled at making others better (Jason kidd) are the players who appreciated things that never showed up on a stat sheet, who appreciate team play on a different level. They're used to watching a game and thinking what do i need to do and how do i need to react to help out my star. I think guys like Steve Nash, D Wade, Garnett are stars who could make that transition as they are and have always been willing to look at the game differently to win. Carmelo, Kobe, Pierce, MJ are guys who have the perspective that would prevent them from excelling as a coach.

Comment

He's actually only had 2 head coaching interviews, so it depends what you mean by so many teams passing on him. Hard to know if that's because he doesn't seem qualified, or if there's some bias because he's a former big man and star. I have no clue if he'd be good, but he has coached awhile now, and is the top assistant (associate head coach) in Charlotte.
                      I remember seeing something about how we openly said he was interested in a few positions and then didn't even get an interview.

I don't know how good of a coach he is/would be, but from comments I've seen it sounds like he feels he is being looked over, so the question is that a healthy chip on his shoulder or a bad chip?

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                        Did he? I wasn't aware of that was the reason. Do you have a source?

Cool if speculation on your part. You're probably right - lol
                        Saw something somewhere. Will hunt for source.

Comment

Saw something somewhere. Will hunt for source.
                          That would be good - thanks.

I'd be surprised if something was publicly stated on the topic, to be honest.

The reason why I ask is, if I recall correct, Hoiberg had to retire before his time due to a heart issue and was almost immediately given a front office job.

Even if he disagreed with how things ran, you'd think there would be some sort of loyalty for the opportunity given his circumstances.

He might be like the guy in Portland who wanted to coach rather than manage.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                            That would be good - thanks.

I'd be surprised if something was publicly stated on the topic, to be honest.

The reason why I ask is, if I recall correct, Hoiberg had to retire before his time due to a heart issue and was almost immediately given a front office job.

Even if he disagreed with how things ran, you'd think there would be some sort of loyalty for the opportunity given his circumstances.

He might be like the guy in Portland who wanted to coach rather than manage.
                            It was more of a passing comment in an article than anything specific but ill track it down.

Hoiberg retired due to a heart condition then joined the front office before Kahn was on board (McHale still had control when Hoiberg joined). One reason or another, Hoiberg left shortly after Kahn arrived.

Comment

Rodman has recent coaching experience in North Korea.

Comment

I would think Ron Adams should be on that list. He's been loved everywhere he goes, and he's been coaching under Thibs, (Brad) Stevens, Kerr, and Karl. Considered defensively good and a hands-on teacher. I wonder if he simply doesn't want to be a head coach.

JVG should probably be at least interviewed by Masai, not that I'd like him necessarily. But he should be interviewed.

Jim Boylen's also mentoring under Pops, hasn't HC'd either. He's been under Vogel as well.

Tyronn Lue is basically always mentioned as a top assistant coach.

Nate McMillan comes to mind as well. Alex Jensen's always been well liked, and is an AC under Quin Snyder in Utah. (Snyder seems to be a decent coach so far, if not a good one).

Otherwise, I like Hoiberg as well. Like the sound of Vanterpool as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X