Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Raptors send Bruno to Europe for a year or two ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Raptors send Bruno to Europe for a year or two ?

I was watching the bulls game today and was watching Nikola Morotic 's game. He is 24 now and was drafted when he was only 20 with 21st pick in the draft. Given the way the D-league has been , is it a better idea to send Bruno to Europe for a year or two, let him learn the basketball fundamentals and then bring him back ?

There is no way raptors could do that - at all. He has an nba contract.

What they need to do is get their own single affiliation dleague team. Period.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      There is no way raptors could do that - at all. He has an nba contract.

What they need to do is get their own single affiliation dleague team. Period.
      What if they don't? If Tim Leiweke was not a sitting duck then he would probably get it done by now.

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
        What if they don't? If Tim Leiweke was not a sitting duck then he would probably get it done by now.
        Masai said they were working on it.

I believe that came from Ryan Wolstat tweet over ASG weekend if memory serves correct.

If they don't???? Hell if I know. It is so needed....especially if Masai a) follows through on his stated beliefs in team building and development of talent within, and b) Dwane "get me more veterans" Casey continues to coach.

Comment

That is terrible. I wonder what MU thought when he decided not to send Bruno directly to Europe after drafting him ?

Did he think that Bruno is much more ready than he is ? Was that an over estimation in part of MU ?

Comment

McRealistic wrote: View Post
            That is terrible. I wonder what MU thought when he decided not to send Bruno directly to Europe after drafting him ?

Did he think that Bruno is much more ready than he is ? Was that an over estimation in part of MU ?
            I get the impression that they felt the bigger hurdles for Bruno would be the drastic change in lifestyle, coming to a new continent/country, learning a new language, and having to learn the NBA game. May as well have their coaches develop his fundamental skills behind-the-scenes while he makes that massive acclimation, rather than sending him over to Europe all alone and beyond their control and influence.

McDaniels is a different story, since he went through the NCAA and just needs more court time to refine the skills the Raptors want him to focus on.

Comment

I was watching the bulls game today and was watching Nikola Morotic 's game. He is 24 now and was drafted when he was only 20 with 21st pick in the draft. Given the way the D-league has been , is it a better idea to send Bruno to Europe for a year or two, let him learn the basketball fundamentals and then bring him back ?
              It wouldn't make a difference. They can send him to Europe, or Asia or South America. They can send him to Michael Jordan's basketball camp. It wouldn't make a difference. The guy has ZERO game. I mean, his fundamentals is so poor it's like watching an NHL player play a basketball game.

Also, you can't compare Mirotic to Bruno. Mirotic was a TOP prospect in Europe for a long time. Bruno? nobody knw who he was before the draft except Masai.
              Last edited by The Great One; Tue Mar 24, 2015, 05:28 PM.
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post

Also, you can't compare Mirotic to Bruno. Mirotic was a TOP prospect in Europe for a long time. Bruno? nobody knw who he was before the draft except Masai.

I guess you have a point. The comparison was made based on the age the two guys were drafted and where in the first round they were drafted.

I guess successful organization and a smart GM knows how to use a #21 pick in the first round and how to develop him. Right now, I don't know what Bruno is and will be ... But I know ONE thing for sure. MU had/has no plans or clue how to develop this kid.

Lets face it, in the age that this kid needs to play, he is sitting on the bench and not even getting minute in garbage time. His D-League time was a joke as well.

Comment

I guess you have a point. The comparison was made based on the age the two guys were drafted and where in the first round they were drafted.

I guess successful organization and a smart GM knows how to use a #21 pick in the first round and how to develop him. Right now, I don't know what Bruno is and will be ... But I know ONE thing for sure. MU had/has no plans or clue how to develop this kid.

Lets face it, in the age that this kid needs to play, he is sitting on the bench and not even getting minute in garbage time. His D-League time was a joke as well.
                  The bolded is about the dumbest thing I've ever read. Even worse than your comments about the Raptors locker room in another thread.

Just because MU hasn't run his plan by you for approval, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. He's an 18 year old kid that is raw, relatively new to basketball, making significant life changes. Did you expect him to be up for rookie of the year this season and most improved player next season? We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes or what expectations MU placed on the kid this season, so making blanket accusations like that is completely unfounded.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                    The bolded is about the dumbest thing I've ever read. Even worse than your comments about the Raptors locker room in another thread.

Just because MU hasn't run his plan by you for approval, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. He's an 18 year old kid that is raw, relatively new to basketball, making significant life changes. Did you expect him to be up for rookie of the year this season and most improved player next season? We have no idea what is going on behind the scenes or what expectations MU placed on the kid this season, so making blanket accusations like that is completely unfounded.
                    First of all Keep it clean if you want to get a reply. There is no reason for that kind of language.

Now, no one expect Bruno to become rookie of the year. No one even expect for the kid to contribute this year. No one even expect for him to see playing in every single game.

MU maybe has/had a plan that he did not share with us but from what we can see, as fans, his plan, what ever it is, did not really help Bruno in his first year in NBA !!!

Tell us this: what have you seen from Bruno from Sept till now, that shows that MU's plan for him, improved him and made him a better player? The Answer is NOTHING.

You don't always need to know what is going on behind the scenes. You just need to open your eyes and pay attention on what is going on.

You can see that he was sent to D-league and that was a disaster.
                    You can see that the kid does not even get into the game in garbage time.
                    You can see that when, once in blue moon, he is in the game, he can not do anything and shows no improvement since the summer league.

Improvements are step by step and no one expect a miracle from Bruno.

But simply just claiming that MU has some secret , behind the closed door and is developing Bruno away from the eyes of everyone, all the reporters and fans, is just a figment of an imagination with no proof or substance to back it up.

So far all the evidence are suggesting that MU's plans for developing Bruno has failed because the kid is sitting on a bench and playing competitive basketball for 5 minutes in a MONTH.
                    Last edited by McRealistic; Tue Mar 24, 2015, 06:40 PM.

Comment

First of all Keep it clean if you want to get a reply. There is no reason for that kind of language.

Now, no one expect Bruno to become rookie of the year. No one even expect for the kid to contribute this year. No one even expect for him to see playing in every single game.

MU maybe has/had a plan that he did not share with us but from what we can see, as fans, his plan, what ever it is, did not really help Bruno in his first year in NBA !!!

Tell us this: what have you seen from Bruno from Sept till now, that shows that MU's plan for him, improved him and made him a better player? The Answer is NOTHING.

You don't always need to know what is going on behind the scenes. You just need to open your eyes and pay attention on what is going on.

You can see that when, once in blue moon, he is in the game, he can not do anything and shows no improvement since the summer league.

But simply just claiming that MU has some secret , behind the closed door and is developing Bruno away from the eyes of everyone, all the reporters and fans, is just a figment of an imagination with no proof or substance to back it up.

So far all the evidence are suggesting that MU's plans for developing Bruno has failed because the kid is sitting on a bench and playing competitive basketball for 5 minutes in a MONTH.
                      For me the bold should be the operative thinking re Bruno's first year.

There is no question that his pick was a reach but we need to trust the judgement made for at least another 1-2 yrs.

As you know once he was signed to his contract (ist rnders are guaranteed with $ based on position drafted) the only option for him to play elsewhere (as others have pointed out) is the D League. RE not signing him and getting a Euro team to sign him is not as easy as it seems. MU has to find a team to do so (I dont think he can pay on that contract) and more importantly Bruno has to agree (he is under terms of the NBA already in a guaranteed situation. I am unsure if the Raptors can even insert itself in such negotiations. Typically its always the player who opts to play elsewhere even if drafted in the first rnd and most often it is on an existing contract.

It is what it is now and hopefully the Raps acquire a D league team so it has some say in Bruno's usage. Right now they cannot dictate. We are also not privy to Bruno's mental state. It must be pretty lonely and discouraging for him considering he is only 18/19 and away from home.

Edit: One other thought: How many of the picks in the first round in last year's draft have not had a very good start to their career either? Both Ennis and Harris reputedly Masai's targets taken before he could have had inauspicious starts....and they were home grown ncaa hotshots.
                      Last edited by Bendit; Tue Mar 24, 2015, 08:06 PM.

Comment

I think for Bruno year 1 is as much about life skills as it is about playing time. You send a kid like that to a strange country with no guidance he can learn all kinds of bad habits. He needs mentors close to him and relationships. I think that's part of why he wasn't sent to the D league earlier.

I think it's way to early to say MU's development plan failed. Bruno is 3 years younger than jerian grant and many other seniors entering the draft this year. He has time. He's working and practicing with NBA assistant coaches and trainers every day.

I agree completely though that I would like to see Casey throwing a couple minutes at Bruno and Bebe.
                        Last edited by Rudy Bargnani; Tue Mar 24, 2015, 08:31 PM.

Comment

McRealistic is being unrealistic about how quickly Bruno should be developing. Watch any NCAA freshmen, you don't see them grow great leaps throughout the season, they're typically playing at/near the same level as the start of the season. The big improvements are typically made during the summer. Bruno is the equivalent of a high school player drafted on potential, not because he's ready to play in the NBA.

Also, Bruno's learning a new damn language! Can you imagine going to Brazil and being taught pro basketball in Portuguese (I'm assuming you don't speak Portuguese)? It would probably take a while for you get to the hang of the language before you could really be coached effectively.

I'm not saying Bruno was a good draft pick, I don't think that can be said for another 2-3 years. That's the commitment we made when we drafted him, so you just need to be patient. He could end up pretty damn awesome and be a Raptor for a very long time.

Comment

No, Raptors should instead fire Casey
                            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

kid was a gamble.
                              drafts are gambles anyhow.

but really, it seems like a wasted pick when i se him play. he simply looks like a guy who was tall, and could run, and might possibly be able to learn to play basketbll someday.

Thats all fine. Just seems a bit insulting to guys left on the draft board, who have been playing the game since they were 4 years old.

This is the new NBA though, and honestly, I don't blame anyone..... gambles can also pay off huge, Bruno might be good in 5 years who knows. right now though, jesus he's bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X