Is Masai Ujiri Too Risk Averse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McRealistic wrote: View Post
    Trust me, They are not that stupid. Kobe deal was not a good decision but they had their reasons. The fan base in LA is ready and willing to wait another year. This draft pick is huge for them and they will not waste it on a guy like DD who is going to be a FA next year Noway that will happen.
    Forget DD then, I agree it's not terribly likely he'd be their target. I could still see LA trading the pick for an established player so that they get better soon, rather than years down the road. If the pick is top 3, they probably keep it, but if they get the 5th pick, they might be inclined to trade it. I think it will be a very active offseason all around the NBA. Lots of opportunity for Masai to screw people over in trades.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
      Forget DD then, I agree it's not terribly likely he'd be their target. I could still see LA trading the pick for an established player so that they get better soon, rather than years down the road. If the pick is top 3, they probably keep it, but if they get the 5th pick, they might be inclined to trade it. I think it will be a very active offseason all around the NBA. Lots of opportunity for Masai to screw people over in trades.
      I agree. They would totally trade the pick for an established player but DD is not that guy. I have said this before many times. DD as is right now, is a 3rd best player in a NBA championship ... Lakers is looking for a guy which can be a #1 or #2 ...

Comment

I agree. They would totally trade the pick for an established player but DD is not that guy. I have said this before many times. DD as is right now, is a 3rd best player in a NBA championship ... Lakers is looking for a guy which can be a #1 or #2 ...
        I wonder with the cap about to jump if Love will take his player option, or if he'll try to move teams and sign a one year deal somewhere else to set up himself up for the massive max deal when the cap jumps the following year. Or will he just sign a max deal this offseason?

I feel like we're going to see a ton of 1 year deals, or deals with opt outs after year 1 this offseason. Gonna be hard to sign guys long term without overpaying relative to this years cap since they know they could get so much more in 2016 offseason.

Comment

^^^ I feel the same way. This is why I did not think MU did such an amazing job signing G.V. when people said, well, He over paid but the deal is just 2 years !! I thought it was probably G.V agent that was asking for a short deal knowing that 2016 will be the year that players will get paid.

Comment

^^^ I feel the same way. This is why I did not think MU did such an amazing job signing G.V. when people said, well, He over paid but the deal is just 2 years !! I thought it was probably G.V agent that was asking for a short deal knowing that 2016 will be the year that players will get paid.
            GV got the going rate for backup PG's. Isiah Thomas got basically the same per year but for 4 years, so be glad we only have him for 2. GV has done a good job of carrying the load while Lowry is out. I like him, he'd be a lot more effective if our stupid coach didn't play him at SG, and occasionally SF with his wonderful Lowry, Lou, GV lineup.
            I highly doubt GV gets more than he's making now in 2016, but who knows.

Comment

Reading this thread I get a sense that a lot is being made of past moves for MU, which is really the only way to look at a guys worth, but the scenario's are always vastly different. Ujiri came to Toronto with hype. The NBA, the media, they do hype, thats their job so I think that from a business perspective people are left to create their opinions from a few moves made under vastly different conditions, and whatever media hype thats released to control public perception.

I mean really, Ujiri has been an average GM. He's made some good moves, some bad ones and for the most part has remained in decent standing by playing it rather conservatively. That, and ONLY that is what separates him from Bryan Colangelo. BC made a tonne of great moves, but usually only after he made a risky move that didn't pan out. As a fan, more accurately, a fan in Toronto, I personally kinda like the latter as I don't believe what these guys try to sell in the media. Winning ain't fixing shit for Toronto, nobody will sign in this city, unless its one of the up and coming Canadian players. Say whatever you wish, history will be my guide here, and its pretty airtight.

We like to tear down coaches and GM's. It's what we do, and its our right. But sometimes its maybe a bit more insightful to start from a position that allows for ALL men and women who make it to these positions to be given the respect that they have earned. They are all smart Basketball people, and at the GM position, they are usually pretty great businessmen. So maybe personality traits are what allows them to sink or swim in specific transactions, with the optics of each deciding their fate in the public eye as the media will influence on many occasions how ownership will react to winning or losing seasons.

So for the guy that calls Ujiri "risk adverse" ya maybe. He's a smart guy, he likes to avoid gambles I guess, but that fact alone might also keep him from hitting the odd homer on a flyer. But here's the thing, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't in this entire scenario.... because Bruno Cobaclo is a MASSIVE swing for the fences, and its not doing well so far, and if you think this won't be fodder agianst a GM when it becomes fashionable you're crazy.

I like Masai Ujiri. His demeanour, his background and his toughness are all appealing to me. He's fairly polished in the media, but the guy is also from many accounts, very tough with players when he needs to be. I like it. Does this make him a superstar GM? Nope. But it at leats makes him likable to me in a climate where IMO, there isnt' as much deviation from the median with GM's or coaches. So take what ya get and be happy because he could be much worse.

The game itself is played on the floor, and the myriad or factors tht affect players once they are there are a whole other story. You're mixing business, entertainment, social standing and ego with sports. Perhaps theis is where the conversation should start. Maybe a GM is adverse gambling....but can he hold a Pro Basketball team together with all these other factors pulling it apart? There's the real trick.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                Reading this thread I get a sense that a lot is being made of past moves for MU, which is really the only way to look at a guys worth, but the scenario's are always vastly different....
                He got rid of Gay, and created a bench for Toronto. He got rid of Bargnani when no one on this board believed it was possible without taking a massively bad contract back. Those two moves by themselves puts him in the upper echelon of Raptors GM's.

Then he used this season to actually evaluate his roster and his coach. I would say he now knows what he has to do, whereas, before the all-star break, and even before the trade deadline, the exact moves to make were not cut and dried.

That's my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                X