Casey has fixed the defense

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axel wrote: View Post
    Take out the underlined though, and that is a conversation we can have. Who mysteriously disappears from the rotation? Who is given the greenest of lights and longest of leashes? These are things we can see.
    Wut

It's not mysterious. It's practise, what happens in practise usually determines what they do in games. There's a reason steamer isn't given the green light to shoot 20 fg a game. It's the reason you never see some guys play. You can't base conclusions like that and state it as fact without knowing the full story.

There's a reason some people play while others don't.
    I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Not dilusional, going off of the facts presented.

JJ is the best defender based on EVERY defensive statistic available.

JJ's defence isn't the problem or even a problem. If he was over-helping and leaving his man open, he wouldn't be doubling the next best player in DBPM, and have a team leading DRtg (not including Bebe for obvious sample reasons). If his over-helping was allow his man to score, there would be some statistical evidence showing that consequence.
      Yes he's the best defender on a super shit defensive team, but he can be sooooo much better. Why not expose the greater defence in him? Why keep him mediocre when he can be ssoooo much better with just a little discipline

This dude has the physical tools to actually stop the lebrons of the league.

Comment

We're going off topic, but what are you seeing in the minutes distribution that looks off? That he plays the core and future of the team more than he does two rookies which aren't close to NBA players or guys that are on their way out of the NBA?

To get back to the topic I viewed the comments about JJ over helping and that need for that habit to be fixed because just like on ofense, defense is a system. If someone isn't doing their job the way the system requires it then all the other parts of the system become vulnerable as well. It's why coaches preach trust to players. You have to trust your team mate will be where they should be and stick to your role in that system. If the perimeter guard gets blown by you have to trust the next guy that is supposed to rotate, does. You can't jump the the reactions which the system has in place to every move the offense makes until it's your turn to do so. That isn't to say Casey is saying JJ is the only problem with the defense or is the culprit creating defensive issues, but this article is zoning in on comments he's made specific to JJ only.

Comment

Bandit wrote: View Post
          You can't be saying you think the issue with our defense is over helping... Let's not pretend this is about what JJ does right or wrong here because that doesn't really matter when he is the best defender on the team. I would over-help too if I was out there with our perimeter defenders and knowing how I would have to scramble. I would rather they shoot a wide open three than hit the wide open layup
          I see it as two separate issues.

Over-helping can be a huge problem for such a scrambling defense, if it throws the rotations all out of whack. In that case, he should absolutely be disciplined in order for the problem to be resolved.

I completely agree that DC has different standards for different players, which could be hugely divisive for the locker room. I also think it's weird how DC picks and chooses what issues to resolve and which players to take issue with, especially while the chuckers play horrible defense that leads to the breakdowns and rotation problems in the first place. The perimeter defense should be the priority problem to be resolved, and they guards/wings should be held accountable.

Comment

Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
            Wut

It's not mysterious. It's practise, what happens in practise usually determines what they do in games. There's a reason steamer isn't given the green light to shoot 20 fg a game. It's the reason you never see some guys play. You can't base conclusions like that and state it as fact without knowing the full story.

What's the reason then?

There is no evidence that JJ is doing anything on defence that hurts the team.

Only 3 members of our rotation are above 0 for DBPM (Defensive Box-Score Plus/Minus) and the worst offenders are Lou -3.1, GV -2.3, Ross -1.8, DD -1.4. JJ is a team leading +2.4 (Chuck Hayes is next at +1.2).

JJ is 3rd on the team in DWS at 1.5, despite playing 1000 fewer minutes than Lowry 1.7 (JV leads with 2.1).

JJ is 3rd on the team in DREB% behind Bebe and JV only.

JJ has team leading BLK% of 4.3 (even higher than Bruno with his ridiculous small sample size), a team best BLKper36 and is only 0.1 behind JV for BLKpergame for team lead.

So why is he not playing more than GV?
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Wut

Yes but here's the thing, the people who are playing seem to be allowed to do whatever they want without fail. If the ones playing are the few who have met casey's criteria and can do that then we have a problem, once again, with casey.

When GV pulls up another transition three, when Lou is 1/9, When DD makes a double team contested fadeaway with JV open under the basket, When Amir can barely stand on his own feet, When Lowry attacks the basket against a 7 footer out of a timeout for the game tying basket; what is the point? That's the stuff we can take away from "practice" then?

So maybe no one does what Casey wants? Why doesn't he give them shit on national television? Pop does it, Carslisle does it, Thibs does it... If no one meets his standards, he should make a point and bench them all. Play Hayes, Fields, Bruno, Bebe, Steamer/ whoever you want the whole game.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                We're going off topic, but what are you seeing in the minutes distribution that looks off? That he plays the core and future of the team more than he does two rookies which aren't close to NBA players or guys that are on their way out of the NBA?
                JJ is our best defender, yet is 9th in MPG. You don't see anything wrong with that?

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

First of all, I don't understand why JJ is being publicly scapegoated, when the Raps are notoriously great at keeping things in house.

Secondly, if JJ is overhelping, then how about equally focussing on the root cause requiring that help situation.

This just smells really bad.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                    First of all, I don't understand why JJ is being publicly scapegoated, when the Raps are notoriously great at keeping things in house.

Secondly, if JJ is overhelping, then how about equally focussing on the root cause requiring that help situation.

This just smells really bad.
                    This is a coach trying to cover his own ass and blame JJ as the scapegoat but everyone who's watched the raptors this season knows JJ is not the problem on defense not even close!
                    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                      I see it as two separate issues.

Over-helping can be a huge problem for such a scrambling defense, if it throws the rotations all out of whack. In that case, he should absolutely be disciplined in order for the problem to be resolved.

I completely agree that DC has different standards for different players, which could be hugely divisive for the locker room. I also think it's weird how DC picks and chooses what issues to resolve and which players to take issue with, especially while the chuckers play horrible defense that leads to the breakdowns and rotation problems in the first place. The perimeter defense should be the priority problem to be resolved, and they guards/wings should be held accountable.
                      Yes I suppose in some ways it could. As per Axel's post though I believe it is quite obvious that it isn't.

As per Yaba's post about how much better he could be: you don't bench someone who's already the best on your team because you think he can be better. You play him and tell him he can better, aka positive reinforcement, and try to help him.

Comment

Yes but here's the thing, the people who are playing seem to be allowed to do whatever they want without fail. If the ones playing are the few who have met casey's criteria and can do that then we have a problem, once again, with casey.

When GV pulls up another transition three, when Lou is 1/9, When DD makes a double team contested fadeaway with JV open under the basket, When Amir can barely stand on his own feet, When Lowry attacks the basket against a 7 footer out of a timeout for the game tying basket; what is the point? That's the stuff we can take away from "practice" then?

So maybe no one does what Casey wants? Why doesn't he give them shit on national television? Pop does it, Carslisle does it, Thibs does it... If no one meets his standards, he should make a point and bench them all. Play Hayes, Fields, Bruno, Bebe, Steamer/ whoever you want the whole game.
                        Fun Fact Add-On
                        GV attempts more treys per36 than Kevin Durant.

Comment

What's the reason then?

There is no evidence that JJ is doing anything on defence that hurts the team.

Only 3 members of our rotation are above 0 for DBPM (Defensive Box-Score Plus/Minus) and the worst offenders are Lou -3.1, GV -2.3, Ross -1.8, DD -1.4. JJ is a team leading +2.4 (Chuck Hayes is next at +1.2).

JJ is 3rd on the team in DWS at 1.5, despite playing 1000 fewer minutes than Lowry 1.7 (JV leads with 2.1).

JJ is 3rd on the team in DREB% behind Bebe and JV only.

JJ has team leading BLK% of 4.3 (even higher than Bruno with his ridiculous small sample size), a team best BLKper36 and is only 0.1 behind JV for BLKpergame for team lead.

So why is he not playing more than GV?
                          Dude I'm not arguing with you weather JJ is a good defender or not. He's the best on the team. What I'm saying is he can play better. The only reason he's on the team is for defence ! I'm glad he's doing his one job !

But, he can still be better, I've noticed it and I don't know if you haven't, but sometimes he's not doing his one job to the best of his abilities. he sometimes switches on every screen, over helps leading to a dump off or open three. Gv isn't in the team for defence, he has a role of just shooting.

And the reson gv plays more minutes is because he's one of the only 2 pgs on the team smh. Of coUrse one of them is always gonna be in the floor...
                          Last edited by yabadabayolo; Mon Mar 30, 2015, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Yea but those guys roles is to chuck. It was given to them before the season started. But here what you need to understand, Casey is a dumbass. His offence relies on one of gv, Lou, dd, or lowry to play god like in order to do well.

That's exactly what he wants them to do. Because yknow, their shots they normally make :'(

Comment

Yea but those guys roles is to chuck. It was given to them before the season started. But here what you need to understand, Casey is a dumbass. His offence relies on one of gv, Lou, dd, or lowry to play god like in order to do well.
                              Finally something we can agree on.

Comment

Dude I'm not arguing with you weather JJ is a good defender or not. He's the best on the team. What I'm saying is he can play better. The only reason he's on the team is for defence ! I'm glad he's doing his one job !

But, he can still be better, I've noticed it and I don't know if you haven't, but sometimes he's not doing his one job to the best of his abilities. he sometimes switches on every screen, over helps leading to a dump off or open three. Gv isn't in the team for defence, he has a role of just shooting.

And the reson gv plays more minutes is because he's one of the only 2 pgs on the team smh. Of coUrse one of me is always gonna be in the floor...
                                Again, why bench him though? On the premise your best can be better?

That's literally the same idea as benching Lebron James and saying : "Well I think he can be better so until he is I'm not going to play him"

Comment

Working...
                                X