No announcement yet.

Ed Davis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And he's not gonna break the bank. Raps need a quality # 4 to take the next step. Davis isn't it obviously but at 25 maybe his game has developed that much. Bigs take much longer to develop than a guard.

Comment

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
      Ed Davis isn't Canadian

#dontquityourdayjob
      He's just trying to live up to his name. lol.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
        Made a mistake, Wolves picked up ABs third year option in December
        For the record, they picked it up in October. Because that's when you have to with rookie scale deals - the option has to be picked up a full season ahead. For every rookie. Same goes for rookie scale extensions - which is why this coming summer we have to get Ross and JV locked in or they become RFA's.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

People keep bringing up Ed Davis for two reasons.

First off: he's good. He's not exactly what the team needs right now, but as an improvement on Hansbrough and possibly, in the medium-term, over Amir, that's not bad at all. He doesn't space the floor at all, but he's a decent pick-n-roll setter and defender and a decent enough shot blocker that, in a conservative, traditional defensive scheme, he and Jonas would be serious trouble for a lot of teams. So he at least seems like an easy answer.

Secondly, there aren't a lot of easy answers insofar as the roster is currently constructed and coached. Kyle and DeMar are both ball-dominant guards and although neither is selfish, this season they haven't really synergized well together. Because DeMar isn't a good three-point shooter, whoever plays small forward has to be a distance threat so that the spacing works - this is most of the reason that Ross plays more minutes than JJ. Jonas is the only player who isn't really replaceable but he doesn't work under Casey's high-risk high-reward defensive scheme.

Basically the reason everybody keeps saying that power forward is our position of need - despite the fact that the Amir/2Pat platoon is basically as good as you can manage short of getting a superstar-level power forward - is because it's the easiest to envision fixing; it CAN be upgraded with very minimal issue, so therefore it should be. But power forward isn't really the problem. The problem is that Kyle and DeMar are excellent players who don't quite mesh together; that we have no easy answer at small forward because the player we need there isn't easily available; that Jonas is a promising young center whose strengths and weaknesses clash with his coach's defensive vision.

Everybody talks up Ed Davis because he's an easy answer and signing him doesn't require any serious sacrifice or major roster overhaul, much the same reason that everybody says "the answer is to fire Dwane Casey" - as if it's entirely Casey's fault that this roster has a definite ceiling, or that our team, as constructed, mostly lacks both basketball IQ and speed (two things that are vitally necessary to playing the Pop-style team ball that's central to most of the dominant teams in the league at present).

The reason everybody talks up Ed Davis is because the alternative is admitting that the team probably needs a fairly dramatic overhaul.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
            People keep bringing up Ed Davis for two reasons.

First off: he's good. He's not exactly what the team needs right now, but as an improvement on Hansbrough and possibly, in the medium-term, over Amir, that's not bad at all. He doesn't space the floor at all, but he's a decent pick-n-roll setter and defender and a decent enough shot blocker that, in a conservative, traditional defensive scheme, he and Jonas would be serious trouble for a lot of teams. So he at least seems like an easy answer.

Secondly, there aren't a lot of easy answers insofar as the roster is currently constructed and coached. Kyle and DeMar are both ball-dominant guards and although neither is selfish, this season they haven't really synergized well together. Because DeMar isn't a good three-point shooter, whoever plays small forward has to be a distance threat so that the spacing works - this is most of the reason that Ross plays more minutes than JJ. Jonas is the only player who isn't really replaceable but he doesn't work under Casey's high-risk high-reward defensive scheme.

Basically the reason everybody keeps saying that power forward is our position of need - despite the fact that the Amir/2Pat platoon is basically as good as you can manage short of getting a superstar-level power forward - is because it's the easiest to envision fixing; it CAN be upgraded with very minimal issue, so therefore it should be. But power forward isn't really the problem. The problem is that Kyle and DeMar are excellent players who don't quite mesh together; that we have no easy answer at small forward because the player we need there isn't easily available; that Jonas is a promising young center whose strengths and weaknesses clash with his coach's defensive vision.

Everybody talks up Ed Davis because he's an easy answer and signing him doesn't require any serious sacrifice or major roster overhaul, much the same reason that everybody says "the answer is to fire Dwane Casey" - as if it's entirely Casey's fault that this roster has a definite ceiling, or that our team, as constructed, mostly lacks both basketball IQ and speed (two things that are vitally necessary to playing the Pop-style team ball that's central to most of the dominant teams in the league at present).

The reason everybody talks up Ed Davis is because the alternative is admitting that the team probably needs a fairly dramatic overhaul.
            Nice post.

But on the bold, I'd say it's mostly about bball IQ rather than speed. The Spurs don't have much speed. They've got decent speed at PG, and it's not like Green or Leonard are slow, but they're hardly standouts compared to most wings. And their bigs are for the most part actually quite slow. So yeah, it's more about IQ, imo. I think speed is assumed because the ball moves so much, and the ball always moves faster than players can. It looks 'fast', but it has nothing to do with player speed.
            Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Apr 1, 2015, 12:13 AM. Reason: shit, forgot to bold

Comment

Colangelo fucked up that draft, Patrick Patterson was picked after Ed and had more skills already. Masai created a re-draft of 2010 after the Rudy trade, making Masai still in boss mode.

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                Um I thought were talking about Ed Davis?
                Sorry I messed up the reply - this was in response to the raptors999 who was saying we should sign Bennett for no other reason than he's Canadian. P.S. I like Ed Davis.

Comment

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                  Ed Davis isn't Canadian

#dontquityourdayjob
                  My bad, I messed up the reply - this was in response to the raptors999 who was saying we should sign Bennett for no other reason than he's Canadian. Also, I like Ed Davis. He's cheap and given minutes I think he could produce.

Comment

boho44 wrote: View Post
                    That's an over statement. I'm not saying come here and take over the starting 4 position but I think he'd contribute better off the bench than Patterson or hansborough
                    Hansbrough, yes. Patterson, I can't see it happening.

Comment

The only way we bring Ed in is this:

1. We let Amir go cause he wants too much money.

2. We are willing to let JJ stay at the 3 slot next year.

3. Patterson becomes the starter.

In other words, a PP/ED combo at PF. Which technically isn't terrible.
                      Axel wrote:
                      Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                      KeonClark wrote:
                      We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                      KeonClark wrote:
                      I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Cody73 wrote: View Post
                        The only way we bring Ed in is this:

1. We let Amir go cause he wants too much money.

2. We are willing to let JJ stay at the 3 slot next year.

3. Patterson becomes the starter.

In other words, a PP/ED combo at PF. Which technically isn't terrible.
                        If I loved mediocrity, this is the way I would go.

Comment

Ed Davis would be a great bench big. 4th-5th big, 2nd or 3rd off the bench. TH's role basically, or Patterson's in the event we got a legit backup C and Patterson started. I think he is very underrated, but adding him is not really gonna fix the team or move the needle much. Nonetheless, I would consider him an upgrade on this roster.

Comment

Working...
                          X