Compression Gear a placebo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compression Gear a placebo?

Not specifically Raptors related, but there are a few Raptors who wear this stuff.

According to this article, compression clothing really doesn't do anything to improve performance. Any improvements are explained by the placebo effect.

To test the claims, Stickford gave 16 endurance runners a pair of calf compression sleeves. Then she strapped on masks and monitors to measure the runners' gait and oxygen intake. The same routine was done without the calf sleeves as well, and "we found nothing," Stickford says. No difference.

"When we looked at the averages of our group of runners, all the measures of running gait were exactly the same with and without compression," Stickford says. "And the measures of efficiency were exactly the same."
    http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2015...or-performance

That being said, even if the players think they have an advantage, compression gear could be useful if the placebo effect leads to improved performance.

It's funny when you see a player without any of that stuff these days, they look so old school.

Every time I see Pau Gasol or Dunleavy shown on TV I feel like I'm watching a NBA TV classic game from the early 90's.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
      It's funny when you see a player without any of that stuff these days, they look so old school.

Every time I see Pau Gasol or Dunleavy shown on TV I feel like I'm watching a NBA TV classic game from the early 90's.
      And his shorts are 2" above his knee. A definite no-no.

Comment

While they may not have an effect on in-game performance, I would argue (purely with anecdotal evidence) that they have a injury-prevention "pre-hab" effect. I personally have noticed that when wearing knee sleeves my knees tend to warm-up quicker, and stay warm all throughout playing. If I have a 3-4 hoop session and don't wear them, there is a noticeable difference with how stiff my knees feel as I'm limping to my car to drive home. I don't know if there is any ACTUAL evidence to back this theory up though.

Comment

92TillInfinity wrote: View Post
          While they may not have an effect on in-game performance, I would argue (purely with anecdotal evidence) that they have a injury-prevention "pre-hab" effect. I personally have noticed that when wearing knee sleeves my knees tend to warm-up quicker, and stay warm all throughout playing. If I have a 3-4 hoop session and don't wear them, there is a noticeable difference with how stiff my knees feel as I'm limping to my car to drive home. I don't know if there is any ACTUAL evidence to back this theory up though.
          Good point. The article mentions that there could be benefits in post-workouts, mainly by reducing swelling caused by the increased blood flow.

Comment

I always thought all that stuff was effective as a Gatorade is in delaying fatigue.
            "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

I always use compression on my knees for the relief it gives after my workouts. They help to improve recovery if used properly in my opinion.

I know it keeps swelling down and allows for better blood flow, which in turn allows for quicker healing. Like 92 mentioned it also helps keep them warm, which is super useful for when I have to sit 3-4 minutes on the bench and they want to start locking up. The compression can also help to prevent muscle damage and stabilize joints. I've heard that the compression can help control the amount of acids in your muscles as well but I've never seen any proof of that and it would make more sense if we assumed the improved blood flow actually helped with that.

I've also heard people claim they wear shooting sleeves because it gives better control over their muscles, but I always thought that sounded like snake oil myself.

Comment

I love compression gear! I mean, I look cool in this shit and I have no stupid bruises and scratches on my legs. Also, it limits my feet swelling after playing football ( soccer ). So fuck the research, I'm in love with compression gear.

Also, my friends are using compression gear w/ knee support for their old knees. Believe me, it helps!

Comment

Fuck compression gear. When you wear knee pads, wrist bands, and/or elbow pads:

You look a lot more like this guy:

Waaaaaaay more awesome!
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

To hell with all your studies and facts...its all about LCF (Look Cool Factor)

Comment

GinobilisBaldSpot wrote: View Post
                      To hell with all your studies and facts...its all about LCF (Look Cool Factor)
                      This is what Dwight has said about why he wears the arm sleeve.

I also had heard that, like others mentioned, the sleeves are mostly about increased blood flow and keeping the muscles warm, reducing injury risk, tightness, and cramping. I don't know that anyone really thinks they elevate performance?
                      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                        This is what Dwight has said about why he wears the arm sleeve.

I also had heard that, like others mentioned, the sleeves are mostly about increased blood flow and keeping the muscles warm, reducing injury risk, tightness, and cramping. I don't know that anyone really thinks they elevate performance?
                        From what I heard most shooters stopped wearing the arm sleeves because it lowered shooting ability but big men wear the padded one to help with post defense wear and tear on the arms.

Comment

Hey guys, remember when NBA players weren't pansies? I miss those days....

Comment

Almost the entire team wears them.

JJ
                            DeMar
                            Ross
                            JV
                            Lowry
                            Amir
                            2pat
                            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Hey guys, remember when NBA players weren't pansies? I miss those days....

I saw this, and I thought of the foul TH got last night on his box out.

Comment

Working...
                              X