No announcement yet.

The Final 8 Regular Season Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been looking at the conference standings from last year and this year, and the first thing that jumps out is how much drastically worse the East is this year. Last year, the 7 seed had an above .500 record (Charlotte, 43-39). Only the 8 seed had sub .500 record (Atlanta, 38-44), and they ended up being a pretty damn good 8 seed, just started rough due to injuries and learning a new system

This year, only 5 teams in the East are above .500, with Milwaukee having a chance to get back to/over .500 before the seasons over.

So Casey got an improved squad (added Lou and JJ), more experienced young guys (JV, Ross), an entire offseason to cement his system with these guys, an entire season with the same team (no trades), and the oft lauded "continuity" in that we brought back all the key players from last season. The conference is significantly worse, and yet we might not even get back to the same win total.

I'm not sure if it can be any clearer that Casey already peaked with this team and it's time to move on.

Comment

^ Theres that, but the main thing for me is his cough. This man has had a cough for 4 straight years. Jesus, go see a doctor Dwane.

Comment

I think folks here think the Raptor roster has more talent than it does.
        This is what they are.
        The coach is doing fine.
        The players are being who they are.

Thats it.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
          I think folks here think the Raptor roster has more talent than it does.
          This is what they are.
          The coach is doing fine.
          The players are being who they are.

Thats it.
          The roster has more talent than last year, and this East is worse than last year. Not sure how showing zero improvement in win total is doing fine.
          We need a talent upgrade at coach and in players, one is just a lot easier to do than the other.

Comment

Holy shit. Listen up man, show me how this team is considerably better talent wise. Don't you dare point at Lou Williams, he's proven a marginal upgrade from whatever was there last year.

Clearly a few guys bought in, chemistry was off the charts and this team rode the wave last year as a text book over achiever. Most of us, myself included got caught up too, so much so we bitched like mad when the pundits said as much and predicted 4th-6th as a reasonable place for the team to finish.

Well they were right.

Thats what they were, and what they are.

If people can't wrap their heads around that too bad.... its the truth though.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
              Holy shit. Listen up man, show me how this team is considerably better talent wise. Don't you dare point at Lou Williams, he's proven a marginal upgrade from whatever was there last year.

Clearly a few guys bought in, chemistry was off the charts and this team rode the wave last year as a text book over achiever. Most of us, myself included got caught up too, so much so we bitched like mad when the pundits said as much and predicted 4th-6th as a reasonable place for the team to finish.

Well they were right.

Thats what they were, and what they are.

If people can't wrap their heads around that too bad.... its the truth though.
              Lou Williams is not a marginal upgrade over Salmons, he is a massive upgrade. I feel like you have Salmons amnesia. Did you forget he played 22 minutes per game for the Raps last year?

John Salmons PER with Raptors, 7.6. That's half of an average NBA player, i.e. abysmal.
              Lou Williams PER with Raptors, 19.9. That's way above average.

There is also James Johnson, who is better than Salmons and Fields at everything.

There is also JV and Ross having another year of growth and experience.

Please explain to me how the talent isn't better this year.

4th-6th is a huge difference. You have a sub .500 team in 6th, and a 45 win team in 4th. "The pundits said we'd finish somewhere between 1st and 15th, and they were right." That's nearly as meaningful a statement.

Back you opinions up with something, anything. Your two posts have mentioned one player total, with zero analysis of anything, even that one player.

Just with continuity and Casey having all offseason to get everyone up to speed, we should have improved. Throw in some talent upgrades and a significantly worse Eastern conference, and our lack of improvement year over year is inexcusable.
              Last edited by Primer; Mon Apr 6, 2015, 06:03 PM.

Comment

And that's only crediting last year's team with 48 wins - remember, they managed 48 wins while being handicapped by a 6-12 start with Gay.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                  And that's only crediting last year's team with 48 wins - remember, they managed 48 wins while being handicapped by a 6-12 start with Gay.
                  After the trade, Raps were 42-22. That's a .656 win %. Which is roughly equivalent to 54 wins over 82 games (Blazers, Heat and Rockets last season).

Comment

Working...
                  X