Demar - pre-merge post - looking at Usage% and the impact

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

raptors999 wrote: View Post
    IMHO it isn't really a system issue. Most coaches would see that Demar is taking bad shots and try to get him to take better ones. Often players aren't even aware that they are being pushed into bad shots by defenses. Also reluctant three point shooters need to be forced to stop settling. It isnt even guys going hero-ball and are grateful for the good coaching.
    Here's the rub: our coaching staff thinks they ARE good shots. For real.

Comment

By the way.....

Axel, we've had our back and forths.....but i have to say that i respect you a TON for taking the time to put the charts together and start this thread. Regardless of where we stand on the Demar debate.....Well done sir! Respect.

Comment

special1 wrote: View Post
        But doesn't this post prove that he was elite last year?? Am i missing something?
        DD last year was across the board either at the elite average or better than it. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Comment

But doesn't this post prove that he was elite last year?? Am i missing something?
          I think most posters you call (not trying to point this out disrespectfully) DeRozan skeptics would agree that DeMar can be above average if used correctly.

Comment

Just providing the facts. All the facts and some were requesting last year as a comp.

By the way.....

Axel, we've had our back and forths.....but i have to say that i respect you a TON for taking the time to put the charts together and start this thread. Regardless of where we stand on the Demar debate.....Well done sir! Respect.
            We definitely have not agreed on much on this forum over the years. Thanks
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
              I actually think DD can be great under another coach/system. I can't recall any offensive system in recent memory as distorted as this year's Raps offense. Imagine prioritizing no passing and getting fouled as sustainable options?

IMO, DD only lacks a reliable 3-pt shot to be consistently in the >110 ORTG / >25 USG% category. It's a shame that he spends his off-season working mostly on #handle4life dribbling exercises. As a SG approaching free agency in this NBA analytics era, he (and his agent) must know that the 3-pt shooters are the ones getting paid.

BTW - thx for doing the last year/this year comparison. Adds more fuel to the fire! lol.
              Because DD won't ever add the trey (it's been long enough to call that hasn't it?), I don't feel he'll ever be great. Highly functional to very good is the range imo.

I'd be curious to hear what DD and his agent think his value is, but so would Masai

Glad to add fuel. Didn't want to present anything but the facts, so was willing to take requests on this one (especially since I could reuse the tables for the most part).

PS - tables suck to create. Mods should do something about that.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                PS - tables suck to create. Mods should do something about that.
                You'll have to raise this in the questions/suggestions/feedback forum, to get the big bosses on it.

What about creating tables in whatever software you use, then exporting/saving as a graphic file, which could then be posted here as an image? It wouldn't be ideal for allowing others to get in and muck around, but it might help with the presentation at least, as a Band-Aid fix.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  You'll have to raise this in the questions/suggestions/feedback forum, to get the big bosses on it.

What about creating tables in whatever software you use, then exporting/saving as a graphic file, which could then be posted here as an image? It wouldn't be ideal for allowing others to get in and muck around, but it might help with the presentation at least, as a Band-Aid fix.
                  I dunno. An awful lot of big words in there.

Comment

Because DD won't ever add the trey (it's been long enough to call that hasn't it?)
                    How long is "long enough"? Paul Millsap (7 seasons), Rasheed Wallace (6), John Stockton (6), Michael Jordan (6), Kevin Johnson (9), have all taken multiple seasons to develop a consistent 3 point shot.

Comment

Nice post Axel. The offence this year is so bad to watch, and it has clearly hurt DeMar.

If DeMar could consistently put up the offensive numbers he did last year, while continuing to improve defensively (he's below average this year, a bit better than last year and a big step up from years past), he could be a valuable player. If he could improve on his offensive numbers last year (including his offensive impact numbers, which were barely above average) and get slightly above average defensively, he might even be worth what we'll have to pay him next summer.

I remain of the opinion that he should be shopped to see if there's a great deal out there for him (if other GM's value him as much as many posters here do, we could be in business). If there isn't a great deal out there, no harm in bringing him back under a new coach to see if he can be that guy in a better system.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Actually those show to me that peak DD was an average elite scorer at average elite efficiency, but at below elite average in other areas (Assists, etc)

This year he is has returned to normal to an average SG (ie outside the top 15)

He's nothing to write home about, and certainly not someone worth building a team around.

Oh, and the way the team plays right now caters to what his skill set requires. If you want to keep watching this madness, carry on. I'll go find a fridge

Comment

Great post Axel, love the work you put into it. Would you mind also adding a table comparing his March averages to at least himself if not the Elite and High Usage % avgs? Just for the heck of it if you have the time, he has been beyond great last month, just wondering how great, even though its a small sample size and is almost clearly him just going hot for a longer little while.

Comment

mike, prague wrote: View Post
                            Great post Axel, love the work you put into it. Would you mind also adding a table comparing his March averages to at least himself if not the Elite and High Usage % avgs? Just for the heck of it if you have the time, he has been beyond great last month, just wondering how great, even though its a small sample size and is almost clearly him just going hot for a longer little while.
                            FGA TRB APG SPG BPG TOV PPG FG% eFG% FT% TS%
                            Elite Avg 17.1 3.89 4.33 1.36 0.37 2.73 21.21 0.430 0.477 0.830 0.538
                            DD in March 18.2 6.0 4.1 0.73 0.13 2.2 23.9 0.438 ---- 0.885 0.546
                            High Usage % 14.27 3.75 3.75 1.2 0.2 2.3 17.43 0.43 0.483 0.815 0.538
                            Last edited by Axel; Wed Apr 8, 2015, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Random note I just noticed, the TS% is the same for the '39 Avg', the elite avg and the high avg at 0.538. DD is 0.506 on the season (well below) but in March is over at 0.546.

Seems odd that the elite SG and the 39 avg would have the same TS%.

Comment

FGA TRB APG SPG BPG TOV PPG FG% eFG% FT% TS%
                                Elite Avg 17.1 3.89 4.33 1.36 0.37 2.73 21.21 0.430 0.477 0.830 0.538
                                DD in March 18.2 6.0 4.1 0.73 0.13 2.2 23.9 0.438 ---- 0.885 0.546
                                High Usage % 14.27 3.75 3.75 1.2 0.2 2.3 17.43 0.43 0.483 0.815 0.538
                                Just wanted to add some notes to this.

In March, DD's Usage% is 29.2. His ORtg is at 111 but his DRtg is 114. DD is also taking (and hitting) more 3 pointers this month than usual. He is also playing a season high 38 mpg.

Comment

Working...
                                X