No announcement yet.

Patrick Patterson Problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe it wouldn't hurt if the team allowed him to operate from the mid range mostly again. His 3 point shooting hasn't exactly been consistent through his career anyway. He needs to go back to doing what he did before I think. Once his confidence comes back he can start stepping outside again.
    OG is our king

Comment

whats the problem here? hes still averaging .368 on the season from downtown. nothing to scoff at. or is anyone expecting him to shoot 40-50% consistently the whole season?

those numbers look like regular season deviations to me, considering this year he has taken the most 3 point shots ever (nearly 3 times as much as last year)

and theres only been SIX games in april, so thats hardly even a relevant comparison to the other months.
      Last edited by iblastoff; Mon Apr 13, 2015, 11:12 PM.

Comment

consmap wrote: View Post
        Maybe it wouldn't hurt if the team allowed him to operate from the mid range mostly again. His 3 point shooting hasn't exactly been consistent through his career anyway. He needs to go back to doing what he did before I think. Once his confidence comes back he can start stepping outside again.
        this sounds like terrible advice. why the hell would a long 2 EVER be better than a 3, especially for someone who can actually hit it at a respectable rate.

and how would anyone get their confidence back by NOT shooting.

ask any player in the league. any slumps they go through, they will shoot through it. not stop.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
          this sounds like terrible advice. why the hell would a long 2 EVER be better than a 3, especially for someone who can actually hit it at a respectable rate.

and how would anyone get their confidence back by NOT shooting.

ask any player in the league. any slumps they go through, they will shoot through it. not stop.
          I think there's a difference between a long 2, and a shot that's around free throw range.

Maybe I should have mentioned that I didn't want him to stop taking 3s completely. I just wouldn't mind seeing him spot up from that 15-18 ft range that he's shown to be good from more often. Whenever he takes those mid range shots now it's usually after he gets run off the 3 pt line and has to take a few dribbles inside.

Anyway, those 3s will eventually drop. Just don't want him to be reliant on them.
          OG is our king

Comment

Patrick Patterson is the new Primo Pasta. He's been missing lots of open looks. He also gets outmuscled and outrebounded by true bigs. Hopefully, he'll snap out of it, cuz he's gonna be needed in the playoffs.

Comment

He gets outmuscled when he plays against centers when Casey wants to go small ball. Not his fault.

Overall he is still a high basketball IQ player and is awesome at passing. We do need to run more pick N pop plays with the kid though.

Comment

2KJ wrote: View Post
                Patrick Patterson is the new Primo Pasta.
                Not a in any way a valid comparison in my opinion.
                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

My thoughts exactly. Instead of his first few attempts be from long range, start inside, build some confidence, and then start moving outwards.

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                    He gets outmuscled when he plays against centers when Casey wants to go small ball. Not his fault.

Overall he is still a high basketball IQ player and is awesome at passing. We do need to run more pick N pop plays with the kid though.
                    For real. His passes from the top of the key to the low-post are almost always on the money. I think 2Pat is just in a funk. Hopefully he shakes it off.

Comment

Another case of talent mis-management. Pat has a very good mid-range game. He should be used more in the P&R.
                      No wait,... we DON'T DO P&R, we just ask for screens and them dribble some more.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                        he's scrubalicious is all, youre accurate, he aint a secret anymore. Nor is GV
                        i wouldn't call him a SCRUB per se but yeah, basically

i'm a project pat fan but honestly to me he's more of a second big off the bench type dude
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

and GV just sucks
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

PPat would thrive in the pick and pop game that Atlanta runs. We actually ran that a bunch last year and I loved knowing it was going in whenever he got a clean look. But this year, as you guys pointed out, we just use him as a spot up 3pt shooter.

Comment

Other teams know that they just have to run him off the line and he'll struggle because driving isn't really in his game at the moment (although he had a nice one recently).

This is compounded by the fact that he's nothing but a spot-up shooter to Casey. Which is ridiculous seeing as he's kind of the prototypical pick/pop big who could give opposing bigs fits. but we never run anything smart, so i'm not surprised.

Put him on the list of guys who we need to see play under a real coach before we make a final judgement.
                              Last edited by KHD; Tue Apr 14, 2015, 01:50 PM.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
                                Other teams know that they just have to run him off the line and he'll struggle because driving isn't really in his game at the moment (although he had a nice one recently).

This is compounded by the fact that he's nothing but a spot-up shooter to Casey. Which is ridiculous seeing as he's kind of the prototypical pick/pop big who could give opposing bigs fits. but we never run anything smart, so i'm not surprised.

Put him on the list of guys who we need to see play under a real coach before we make a final judgement.
                                Patterson & Vasquez running a P&R/pick-and-pop like Malone & Stockton used to could be gold for our 2nd unit. Maybe next year?!

Comment

Working...
                                X