Off-Season NEEDS Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tDotted wrote: View Post
    Trades during the season affect chemistry vastly more than trades during the offseason.
    Not if it is the right trade ...

Comment

McRealistic wrote: View Post
      What I find funny is that everyone now comes out with 2 pages of what we need this off season in terms of players while just 1.5 month ago, before the trade deadline , no one wanted to touch this team out of fear of disturbing the "team Chemistry" , even the expiring contract of Hayes !!!

The sad part of it all is that the story will repeat itself next year and just after few wins, anyone who slightly criticizes MU or the team will be labeled a troll.
      I thought we needed to trade ross for an upgrade but at the same time at the deadline we were 36-17 coming off a 9-2 run...the need wasn't as urgent. right after the deadline after the ATL win was when we went 1-9 and shit hit the fan..

Comment

Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
        I have no clue if he'd be a good coach and no one else does, and if they say they do they're lying. I'm inferring he'd be good off the fact that he was a clear high IQ player that was great at making his team better. Realistically, I don't know if he could run schemes well on either end of the floor.

KL-12
        DD-9.5
        PP-6.27
        JJ-2.5
        JV-4.66
        Bebe-1.84
        Bruno-1.52
        Beverley(let's pretend 6)
        Jones-2.04

That puts us at 46.33M in salaries. Soft cap is 67M is it not?

Assuming we could convince Beverley to take less that market price, not sure how my scenario doesn't work other than the Hans/Lou signings.
        Cap holds for roster slots plus our first round pick. About 1.5M for the pick, 500k for 3 roster spots, eats up 3M of cap space you can't use.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Demar needs to stay here as a foundation, along with jv. Other than that you move whatever you need to trying to get a legit first option.
          Nobody else fits a future role that can't be easily plugged later, and is therefore expendable.
          It's easy to see demar/ valanciunas being the future 2/3 best players, so trade Lowry, Ross, Amir, Lou, GV, Patterson, picks and whatever else it takes to find that guy.
          If they see it at the top of the draft this year give the Knicks, lakers or whoever, whatever they want from our team to get it done

Comment

I like some of the other off season ideas brought up here I'll just offer another idea for discussion.

Obviously plan the start of the plan is to fire Casey and get a guy who values player development. I don't think that the coach needs a lot of NBA head coaching experience.

Move 1: Trade DD + PPat to Charlotte for Vonleh + Stevenson + Roberts + second rounder (not vital but would be nice). Take someone who can shoot with that 2nd rounder (Tyler Harvey if available)

Trade GV for anything.

Sign Brandon Bass and Carroll and draft Lucas

Lowry/Lucas/Roberts
            Ross/Lance/Harvey
            Carroll/(some order of JJ and Bruno)
            Vonleh/Bass
            JV/Amir

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
              Cap holds for roster slots plus our first round pick. About 1.5M for the pick, 500k for 3 roster spots, eats up 3M of cap space you can't use.
              Ahh forgot about roster slots. But doesn't the pick not count until we sign him? So couldn't we sign a free agent and then sign our first round pick even if we don't have the room?

Comment

I just don't have enough BBall IQ to suggest trades, but clearly you need a new coach. I don't think Casey has come near to getting what is available out of the roster he currently has.

And, as has been suggested, many of the existing players would look a lot better in offensive and defensive systems that suited their abilities. DD has shown the ability to get to the rim and to be very effective from 16 feet out and in. Lowry has shown the ability to get to the line, hit the three and to facilitate. JV and Amir have top five shooting percentages. Patterson can hit the three. JJ is elite in his drive success rate. Lou has a landslide pick for 6th Man of the Year. But any system that simply goes around to three players before one of two players dribbles for 10 seconds and then hoists up a shot is not going to cut it.

I also agree that you cannot have so many bad perimeter defenders, so those positions need at least one upgrade.

I think you need a defensively strong PF who can hit the three at something close to 35%, ideally someone all-star, or close to it, capable. You need a backup center. And as mentioned above, a backup defensively minded guard who can facilitate, and spend some time at PG.

You don't need Steisma, Ross (given up on him...doesn't have the mind set) or Landry. Obviously some of the others might have to go to make these simple suggestions work, but I will leave that up to Masai. I don't think next year is the year you swing for the fences, because you still don't know what you have, thanks to Casey's poor coaching and in game rotation management.

Comment

Based on the trajectory of last season, it was reasonable that Masai's response was to resign everyone and simply tinker a little. Its easy for us to say "The obvious thing to do was..." or "I feel we should have...". Its never as simple as we make it out to be. Unless you've been inside of management/personnel in pro sports you could not know. Now going forward, whether this team makes an improbable comeback or goes out in 4 straight, expect significant change as it has become obvious now, that a continued upward trajectory with this team as it is comprised (including evaluation coaching) is unlikely. But based on the turnaround last year it was very fair for the GM to give it another shot this season. My concern with the HC is, we have started out each game this series with the lead. As soon as Washington has figured out our strategy on O and D, and adjust, we have not had a response of our own. The other concern, is the lack of response/fight back when the Wiz started their runs. Its like we don't have the will to stop it. Part of that MUST come from the staff, however it also displays a significant character flaw in our personnel. They sit and take it. When Wall blocked (fouled) at one end and went down and went over Amir on the other, he stood over Amir almost like Jordan over Ewing in the early 90's highlight we so often see. Amir turned around and walked away, and no one else responded either. No one got in Wall's face, or shoved him, or provided a dominant hard foul next time down the court. This team does not possess the mental toughness it needs in these moments. That has NOTHING to do with the coach, and it purely personnel based. Washington is bigger, stronger and tougher than us. That is not Dwane Casey's issue. He plays the guys he has. Changes are coming. They are needed, but this is all part of the process. No need to jump off buildings. The process never goes as quickly as we would like.

Comment

McRealistic wrote: View Post
                    With a massive Cap increase in 2016, the talk of future flexibility is meaningless.

The reality is that the fans believed in this team and after wasting 2 years and one of the best draft years and 2 early exit from the play offs, now they want to go back to step one which is rebuild.

That being said, I think the first step before offering all these one sided trades ( in favour of Toronto), we need to hire a experience coach with wining records and this time around, really and without bias, evaluate what we have under the right system and coaching.
                    Has their been confirmation of this? Could very well be true, but I haven't heard anything regarding MU looking to blow this team up.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                      I just don't have enough BBall IQ to suggest trades, but clearly you need a new coach. I don't think Casey has come near to getting what is available out of the roster he currently has.

And, as has been suggested, many of the existing players would look a lot better in offensive and defensive systems that suited their abilities. DD has shown the ability to get to the rim and to be very effective from 16 feet out and in. Lowry has shown the ability to get to the line, hit the three and to facilitate. JV and Amir have top five shooting percentages. Patterson can hit the three. JJ is elite in his drive success rate. Lou has a landslide pick for 6th Man of the Year. But any system that simply goes around to three players before one of two players dribbles for 10 seconds and then hoists up a shot is not going to cut it.

I also agree that you cannot have so many bad perimeter defenders, so those positions need at least one upgrade.

I think you need a defensively strong PF who can hit the three at something close to 35%, ideally someone all-star, or close to it, capable. You need a backup center. And as mentioned above, a backup defensively minded guard who can facilitate, and spend some time at PG.

You don't need Steisma, Ross (given up on him...doesn't have the mind set) or Landry. Obviously some of the others might have to go to make these simple suggestions work, but I will leave that up to Masai. I don't think next year is the year you swing for the fences, because you still don't know what you have, thanks to Casey's poor coaching and in game rotation management.
                      As bad as they have been since the start of the year, they stil finished with a record number of wins for this franchise, and looking at the roster I dunno if this is a team that anyone can say should be donminant, even in the East. I'm trying to make a fair assesment as to what it would be to "get more out of this roster". Maybe a thread in itself, but what in yours and other posters' opinions would you have like to see the team realistically do better this season?

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                        Has their been confirmation of this? Could very well be true, but I haven't heard anything regarding MU looking to blow this team up.
                        I think he's referring to what the fans want.

Comment

• Stop calling for Masai's head based of your random assumption that he won't fire casey.
                          peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
                          we may need a GM too if that's what it takes to get rid of Casey.
                          Why do you keep callin
                          You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• Wouldn't mind taking a look at Wes Matthews if he can play at the same level after tearing his achilles

Comment

• Given that a lot of us think a coaching change is required and some of us have the wild fantasy - however unlikely - of landing Kevin Durant, why not fire Casey and hire the newly available Scott Brooks? He's the only NBA coach KD has ever known. Just a thought.

Comment

• pdjjw wrote: View Post
                                Given that a lot of us think a coaching change is required and some of us have the wild fantasy - however unlikely - of landing Kevin Durant, why not fire Casey and hire the newly available Scott Brooks? He's the only NBA coach KD has ever known. Just a thought.
                                god no.

Comment

Working...
                                X