Rank the Raptors Rotation Players in Terms of Defence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rank the Raptors Rotation Players in Terms of Defence

Thread is exactly what the title is. I'm curious who this forum thinks is good on defence for this team. Include tiers if you want.

I'm for firing Casey but I think we are largely terrible so its not entirely his fault

Mine:

Well Above Average:
    None

Slightly Above Average:
    James Johnson (his gambles lower the grade too much to make him well above average)

Above Average at Times but Inconsistent:
    Amir

Average:
    DeMar (in reality he's between this one and level below but he's actually one of our better switchers, isn't a dumb fouler for the most part and has improved.)

Slightly Below Average:
    Hansborough

Mostly Below Average with Flashes:
    Lowry, Patterson

Below Average:
    JV, Ross,

Awful:
    Lou Williams

Literally a turnstile:
    Greivis

Its hard to have a good defence with this

I'd have a hard time ranking these guys relative to others in the league because it's so hard to tell how much is system, but I think the order you have them ranked against each other is pretty accurate. I'd probably move JV up a peg, and Hansbrough down a peg. Maybe Lowry up a peg, too. I'd also move Greivis down a further peg if I could. It's really surprising but true that DeRozan has emerged as better than most of the team as a defender.

Comment

Considering the number of pump fakes every single player bites on no one should be above average. You'd think seeing Lowry, Lou and DeRozan pumpfake every possession would make you accustomed to other players doing it but nope.

Comment

Amir is an absolute beast on D when he is healthy. So underrated. He is well above average when healthy, I'd say average overall this season but very inconsistent. No one else on the team is good at all. JJ can block some shots occasionally, but he isn't a lock down defender or great team defender. His D is somewhat overrated on these forums IMO.

Comment

I'd say JV and Ross should both be under that 'Mostly Below Average With Flashes' category. Lowry has been below average all season.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
            Amir is an absolute beast on D when he is healthy. So underrated. He is well above average when healthy, I'd say average overall this season but very inconsistent. No one else on the team is good at all. JJ can block some shots occasionally, but he isn't a lock down defender or great team defender. His D is somewhat overrated on these forums IMO.
            I agree but we barely saw that with Amir this year and imo its the biggest reason the defence went to hell.

I don't think JJ is a stopper but I do think unlike almost everybody on this team he pushes a defence in the right direction. He's too big a gambler but at his best he can shut guys down.

But the thing I thought about when writing the OP was how unlikely it is we can get a good defecse with the total personnel we have. Like Casey's scheme seems antiquated with the way the NBA is going but I'm not convinced any scheme creates a non poor defence with this team.

Comment

Jrice9 wrote: View Post
              I agree but we barely saw that with Amir this year and imo its the biggest reason the defence went to hell.

I don't think JJ is a stopper but I do think unlike almost everybody on this team he pushes a defence in the right direction. He's too big a gambler but at his best he can shut guys down.

But the thing I thought about when writing the OP was how unlikely it is we can get a good defecse with the total personnel we have. Like Casey's scheme seems antiquated with the way the NBA is going but I'm not convinced any scheme creates a non poor defence with this team.
              Well, Amir and Lowry have both declined defensively relative to last season. Lou instead of Salmons is also a step back defensively. But Lou's offence more than made up for that drop off. But when your two best defenders in your starting unit drop off like they did, then your defence is bound to suffer. We just couldn't handle the constant guard penetration without Amir to help like he used to. I think the potential is there to be a good defensive team running Casey's system if the team is healthy and focused. Casey's system is just too dependent on the PF running all over the floor...hedging on screens, recovering to their man, rotating out to challenge shooters and somehow trying to box out and rebound. It's too demanding for a guy with wonky ankles, especially when your PG decides defence isn't that important anymore.

Comment

Very good thread. I agree other than Amir and DD the rest of the team has been below average.

Comment

Within this system, everything looks terrible. So hard to judge. The bigs are not being out in a position to succeed (due to the blow bys on the perimeter). The guards are not either, due to the system asking them to concede every screen.

But I agree that most players at least look below average.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                    Within this system, everything looks terrible. So hard to judge. The bigs are not being out in a position to succeed (due to the blow bys on the perimeter). The guards are not either, due to the system asking them to concede every screen.

But I agree that most players at least look below average.
                    I often watch games finding myself asking, how can a system make every single player look like terrible defenders? It seems illogical, but Casey

Comment

Working...
                    X