Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So who's available and who should we target?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TRex wrote: View Post
    That's true. But i can't see Masai blowing this thing up. Specially with the all-star game coming up.
    That's my fear. That Masai makes decisions based on the optics of the allstar game, rather than what's best for the franchise.

Besides, I'm not sure where this idea of needing a competitive team during an allstar hosting year came from. Fans will attend allstar weekend regardless of the Raptors' performance.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
      I know it sounds treadmill.. but I'd go after Jimmy Butler. He's only 25 but most importantly he's known for his defense. Pay the max to get him of course.. but hope he wants to stay in the East.

Trade DD for him so that Chicago says yes. Not sure why he'd want to come to this team though. Unless we can nab Thibs as well.
      It's like what I said about Kawhi. Both guys are going to command big dollars, and neither wants to leave the team. As it stands, butler is just as important as rose for the bulls. It's a pipe dream to get either guy in a raps uniform.

Comment

Pong wrote: View Post
        It's like what I said about Kawhi. Both guys are going to command big dollars, and neither wants to leave the team. As it stands, butler is just as important as rose for the bulls. It's a pipe dream to get either guy in a raps uniform.
        Chicago's owner is really cheap. To keep Butler at the max I believe means they have to pay luxury tax.. something they have never ever done before.

Comment

I know it sounds treadmill.. but I'd go after Jimmy Butler. He's only 25 but most importantly he's known for his defense. Pay the max to get him of course.. but hope he wants to stay in the East.

Trade DD for him so that Chicago says yes. Not sure why he'd want to come to this team though. Unless we can nab Thibs as well.
          Chicago wouldn't even answer the phone
          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Chicago's owner is really cheap. To keep Butler at the max I believe means they have to pay luxury tax.. something they have never ever done before.
            So say Chicago for whatever crazy reason decides not to match for Butler, then we'd be competing with a bunch of other teams to land him. I just don't see how the Raps will come up on top considering we'd likely be the last on his list.

One guy i also forgot to mention is Henderson. He'd make for a good veteran bench scorer.

Comment

See if the Lakers would be interested in some trade involving Lowry for Randle. Maybe Lowry and a pick for Randle and Hill if salaries need to match. Lowry might help them "rebuild" quickly if that's what they want. Randle reminds me of ZBo, and I love ZBo, so that's something I'd explore. I'd also look to trade GV. His defense is just too atrocious. He need to be hidden behind really good defenders. Not sure who would be interested. Dallas needs a PG and if they retain Chandler, maybe he wouldn't be so much a liability. GV for Harris and Aminu maybe? Aminu gives you great wing defence and Harris for vet PG presence, although Harris' contract is lengthy. One bench player for 2.

Sign Beverly, throw the max at Draymond Green.

JV/Hill/Bebe
              Randle/Patterson
              Green/Aminu/Bruno
              DD/Ross
              Beverly/Harris

Get a coach that values big men and inside/outside play. Continue to develop DD's playmaking abilities, while allowing JV and Randle to get their touches inside. That's a fairly young roster with room to grow and develop, that should be pretty good defensively with Green and Beverly and Aminu off the bench. Very flexible too IMO, with lots of interesting lineup combo's. IF DD looks incapable of shouldering the wing burden while allowing the big men to grow, trade him at the deadline for picks and go even younger.

Not sure if any of this is even possible within the confines of the CBA. What is Beverly worth anyways? What will JV's extension be? What is Draymond worth, and who will we be competing with?

It's easier for me to point out what I don't want than it is to come up with a plan to move forward, and what I don't want is DMC, West, LouWill, GV, and to trade the NYK/DEN pick.

I'd be interested in the following players if the plan is to remain competitive with at least some of our current roster:

Beverly, Carrol, Middleton, Draymond, Millsap, T. Thompson, Gibson and Brandon Wright. I do not want to mortgage the future for these guys, although like I said I may be willing to throw the max at Draymond. Thompson, IMO, would be deadly off the bench, but not at the high price he is likely to demand. Wright may be a nice little under the radar pick up.

In my scenario, we lose both our PG's and pick up the most annoying defensive PG in the game and a vet off the bench. Overall, I would say we would be weak in that position and an upgrade would have to follow at some point. I would like to target a Dragic or someone like that instead, but we ain't getting him. Not sure if there are better or more realistic targets. We may also be weak in 3pt shooting, so that's something that may need to be addressed. and of course there is the option of moving Demar instead of Lowryr, which may result in less holes to fill. I, like others here, question whether it's a good idea to roll with both of these guys going forward, and personally, I'd rather see Lowry moved over Derozan.

Anyways, have fun tearing that apart.

Comment

imo i fee like we just need a new coach a couple of vets a better sf,pf and backup centre and we should be good. No need to blow this thing up we've been through enough tanking in the past 20 years plus even though this group of guys got swept we were still good enough to win 49 games. With these changes we can win 50 plus games and make it to the 2nd round easily maybe even get to ecf

Comment

What do you guys think it would take to get Mirotic from the Bulls? He'd be a great starting PF

Comment

Rustyy wrote: View Post
                    What do you guys think it would take to get Mirotic from the Bulls? He'd be a great starting PF
                    He's on a rookie contract if I'm not mistaken (I very well could be, I often am wrong!) . Rising star. Can't see the Bulls letting him go too cheaply. Pushing out Taj Gibson for a spot.

Comment

There will be changes, but not the changes most of you think there will be. I think you are going to see a some grit guys brought into the fold (wouldn't be surprised to see Amir, Hayes and Hansborough all brought back on much cheaper salaries and on 1 year deals) , but guys who have short contracts, acquired by either trade or by way of free agency. I think Masai 's goal was always to go into next off season with a ton of cap space. I think I read somewhere that this team could have close to or in excess of 40 million in cap space next off season.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                        Keep DeRozan and Valanciunas as the core pieces

Trade Lowry for a high draft pick

Sign complementary pieces
                        Who would be our starting PG?

Comment

Rustyy wrote: View Post
                          Mirotic has stated he only would play for the Bulls as a condition for him coming over from Europe.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                            Mirotic has stated he only would play for the Bulls as a condition for him coming over from Europe.
                            He's here now and under contract. Bulls can deal him now

Comment

TT is hitting his prime and is Canadian born. Throw the max at him. We got the cap space and fills a huge need.
                              I don't see how he is not in a Raptors uniform next yr.

Comment

Blowing cap space on Tristan Thompson? No thanks. We're in the business of winning games, notsomuch fostering Canadian talent

Comment

Working...
                                X