Instead of targets, think of market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instead of targets, think of market

A lot of talk here lately about "who we should pursue" or "who we should trade for." But trades especially don't work that way. Not everybody wants or needs Kyle Lowry, for example, or DeMar or Jonas or Ross or whoever - some teams have their starting PG already. Some teams have wing depth. Some teams have their centre. Et cetera.

So, in order: teams that might be interested for each of our players on the roster that we have rights to next year.(So no trades for Lou Will or Amir.) I won't bother exploring trades for Bruno or Bebe; they're prospects, so they're not really going to fill positions of need. Their value is generic.

Kyle Lowry: Starter-quality PG

Teams that, this summer, will not have a true starting PG/have PG as their greatest need: Milwaukee, Utah, Dallas, Philadelphia, New York, Sacramento
    Teams that have a decent starting PG but who could conceivably upgrade by trading for Kyle: Denver, Houston, Detroit, Indiana

DeMar DeRozan: Starter-quality SG/wing (lacks three-point shooting)

Teams this summer that do not have a true starting SG or have SG as their greatest need: Brooklyn, Denver, Dallas (if Monta Ellis leaves), Philadelphia, New York
    Teams that have a decent starting SG but who could upgrade by trading for DeMar: Indiana, Detroit, the Clippers, the Lakers, New Orleans, Orlando, Sacramento, Portland

Jonas Valanciunas: Starter-quality C who needs work on defense, passing

Teams this summer that do not have a true starting C or have C as their greatest need: Boston, the Lakers, Milwaukee, New York
    Teams that might want Jonas as a project: Atlanta, OKC, Portland (esp. if they lose Lopez)

Terrence Ross: Bench wing, still has potential to be a starter but closing fast

Teams that could use additional shooting on the bench: the Clippers, the Lakers, Boston, Charlotte, Minnesota, New Orleans, Brooklyn, Denver
    Teams that might try to turn Ross into a starter: Orlando, the Lakers, New York

Patrick Patterson: Quality bench stretch four

Teams that could use a quality shooting big off the bench: Charlotte, Phoenix, Boston, Brooklyn, pretty much the entire league really

Greivis Vasquez: Streaky-shooting point guard, formerly a pass-first floor general, no defense

Teams that could use Greivis as a second-unit facilitator: the Clippers, Charlotte, Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee, Portland, Orlando

James Johnson: Athletic bruiser wing, quality defender, lack of shot/emotional stability makes him a bench player

Teams that could use muscle off the bench: the Clippers, Washington, Portland, New Orleans

I think you could put Lakers down for every position, especially Lowry since LA is less likely to go for a long rebuild.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I think the Sixers could use a Lowry or DeRozan.

Would they trade their 1st rd pick though for Lowry or DeRozan? doubt it. But you never know.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
        I think the Sixers could use a Lowry or DeRozan.

Would they trade their 1st rd pick though for Lowry or DeRozan? doubt it. But you never know.
        Sixers are not in win now mode. So why would they trade for established players?
        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
          Sixers are not in win now mode. So why would they trade for established players?
          They've been tanking for years now. You would think they would want to win now. Do they really need another young player on their roster?
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

They've been tanking for years now. You would think they would want to win now. Do they really need another young player on their roster?
            Yeah, but none of their prospects are good enough to take them to the next step yet.

When you tank, it's your young guns who pull you out of the cellar. It wouldn't be smart for Philly to abandon that plan early.

Comment

Hinkie said they're tanking till they find that impact player like a LeBron or Anthony Davis
              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                Hinkie said they're tanking till they find that impact player like a LeBron or Anthony Davis
                That makes perfect sense. That's the whole purpose of tanking.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  That makes perfect sense. That's the whole purpose of tanking.
                  That, and to keep Sam Hinkie employed for a long, long time. lol.

edit: Oh, and nice OP, magoon.
                  Last edited by golden; Mon Apr 27, 2015, 03:08 PM.

Comment

I would trade Lowry for Nerlens noel, in a minute.

Comment

Noel looks like a game changer. He transforms Philly's Defense when he's on the floor.
                      Quite impress with him, especially on the 2nd half.

Big tasty wrote: View Post
                      I would trade Lowry for Nerlens noel, in a minute.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                        I think you could put Lakers down for every position, especially Lowry since LA is less likely to go for a long rebuild.
                        Jordan Clarkson has made PG their least necessary position.

He was stellar last 6 weeks of season

Insert asterisk I know

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                          Jordan Clarkson has made PG their least necessary position.

He was stellar last 6 weeks of season
                          You're just trying to up Clarksons trade value. *cough*Dynasty*cough* Haha

Great thread magoon. Definitely some things to think about. I'm sure Masai has an entire room dedicated to laying out all of his options... would love to see what looks like...

Comment

WHAT? A trade thread that is trying to be realistic? This will never work! haha...

Comment

Working...
                            X