No announcement yet.

2015 Raptors Offseason - Everything rumors, musings and rumblings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We could spend all 25M of cap space and still have max space next offseason.

And I'm not sure they get a better offer. Detroit just gave up 6M of U guaranteed contracts for Ilyasova. Last year we have up 6M for an injured Lou and a prospect (which was robbery).

2 picks means we can take a PG and a PF, so if Grant falls to 20 we could get him and Wood. So wed have

Lowry/Grant
    Demar/?
    ?/JJ/Bruno
    ?/PPat/Wood
    JV/Bebe

25M +3.2M exception to sign 2 starters, one combo guard off the bench and possibly a back up center.

Comment

• Liberal wrote: View Post
      No Ross, just Vasquez.

Now, is Haywoods cap hit (A) $2M this year and $10M next year? Or is it around $5-6M (B)? It changes things, because if its A than Vasquez is too much and Cavs would have to add to make salaries work for them at draft night; if its B than Vasquez by himself would be enough to get the job done. But are the Cavs interested in Swaggy G
      Haywood's cap hit is $0 for this year because it is over and $0 for next if waived by August 1st.

Basically the trade would be cap space of GV and TR (about $10M) + the 24th pick.

I don't think the 24th pick is worth GV and TR and the cap space is a virtual unknown that might be worth very little to nothing.

Comment

• I think GV and JJ would work salary-wise but there's not a lot else the Raps could send their way. Unless you want to get crazy and trade DD but I don't think any number of picks in the 20's would be enough in return. The pick alone isn't worth giving up Ross for, and if you have no guarantee of being able to use the extra cap space on a couple good players it would be a pretty big risk.

If you look at it like you're trading GV & Ross for the ability to sign Harris (maaaaybe Middleton, likely not) and a secondary target like Danny Green, or C. Joseph, (or bring back Lou) and then also draft a guard (like R. Vaughn, D Wright or RJ Hunter at 24) along with a PF or RHJ at 20. Lots of options to consider.
        Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

• You basically get a better Salmons expiring. It doesn't matter so much what you will or won't sign, odds are that you would still turn that cap space into some asset. Maybe you could even turn this into a 3 team trade where someone else gets Haywood's non-guaranteed while you take on a guaranteed contract and another pick from another team.

Worst case scenario, you cut Haywood and sign some role player for 10 mil for 1 year who I bet would be better than Ross.

For example,
          1. Ross and Greivis for Haywood + 24. Cut Haywood.
          2. Cap space for David Lee + 30 + maybe some 2nds (agreed upon on draft day, executed in July)

In the end, Ross and Greivis and some 5 mil of cap space become David Lee and multiple picks / rookies. And the team still has close to 10 mil of cap space to pursue an upgrade to Ross or re-sign Lou Williams.

The way I see it, Vasquez + Ross for Haywood and a pick would be a great deal. But I think the Cavs are looking for some more significant player.
          Last edited by BobLoblaw; Sat Jun 20, 2015, 12:51 PM.

Comment

• It really depends what MU wants to do ... does he want a rebuild or does he want to compete ?

If it is a rebuild, can he move up the draft by using the 20 + 24 and get a player that can actually be something in future?

If it is rebuild, then MU should really try to gather assets for this draft, even if they are small, and package them to get higher picks.

Unfortunately, for all the criticism that DD and Casey are getting these days, fans are sitting quiet on MU even thought he decided to retain Casey.

#SummerofMU

Comment

• I thought Hayward was guaranteed...

Now I see it as a move to get a pick and use both #20 and #24 to move up... if we move u high enough, Dekker could be there.
              Axel wrote:
              Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
              KeonClark wrote:
              We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
              KeonClark wrote:
              I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• no vasquez, just ross and someone else!!

Ross for pick iss... steal for us!!

I bet cavs can get better deal than ross though

but ross will definitely play better and play less minutes in cleveland so maybe they might find it worthy

Comment

• I'd do Vasquez for that in a second. I'm not sure the Cavs would though.

Ross as well? Nah.

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                    Wouldn't read much into it yet. No surprised that Bucks want to sign Middleton early in free agency to try to prevent a bidding war. Unless there's a quote from Middleton's camp saying that they aren't interested in testing the market or will accept less to stay in Milwaukee, this doesn't really say much. Look at how deep in a totally irrelevant article the original quote is buried in. If you've really got a source and story, you don't bury it that deep.

http://journaltimes.com/sports/baske...a16b31197.html

Not saying he doesn't resign, I think it's by far the most likely outcome he stays in Milwaukee, but this blurb means nothing.
                    My take as well. Has Milwaukee come out and said they're ready to give Middleton the max as soon as free agency begins then I'd say he's staying there for sure. This implies to me they're going to low ball him and he'll look around for a max deal.

Comment

• I have and odd question here:

Did Casey ever use GV, Ross and JJ together this year at all?
                      Axel wrote:
                      Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                      KeonClark wrote:
                      We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                      KeonClark wrote:

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
                        I have and odd question here:

Did Casey ever use GV, Ross and JJ together this year at all?
                        Yep, 92 minutes for those three together. I don't know if those were meaningful minutes or garbage time. Statistically it looks like those units were effective offensively, but atrocious defensively. 2pat was the "center" in those lineups 1/3rd of the time, so not surprising.

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                          Yep, 92 minutes for those three together. I don't know if those were meaningful minutes or garbage time. Statistically it looks like those units were effective offensively, but atrocious defensively. 2pat was the "center" in those lineups 1/3rd of the time, so not surprising.
                          Hmm..

Maybe most's dream bench unit (GV-TR-JJ-??-LN) isn't such a good idea then.
                          Axel wrote:
                          KeonClark wrote:
                          KeonClark wrote:

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
                            Hmm..

Maybe most's dream bench unit (GV-TR-JJ-??-LN) isn't such a good idea then.
                            Maybe if LN is effective, it could work? But rookies are rarely positive on defense, even if they get a lot of blocks.

It's a small sample size, so stats can't be trusted too much. It's hard to judge without going back and watching those minutes.

Besides, those lineups were very different. There are small ball lineups: 2pat, Amir or Hansbrough at center, JJ at power forward, Greivis at point, and Ross + DD or Lou+Ross on the wing. And there are also more traditional lineups with Jonas + a real power forward.

Edit:
                            Looking more into these GV-Ross-JJ lineups, surprisingly, the real small ball 3-ball units with 2pat at center were quite effective defensively and very effective offensively (1.23 points per possession scored, 1.03 allowed).

The more traditional units with Jonas at center were good on offense, but atrocious on defense, overall a negative.

Small ball with Amir at center didn't function on offense, also overall a negative.

But now we got into super small sample sizes, just around a couple quarters for each of these groups, so that's really just a for fun exercise. We'd have to go back and see those games, to know what worked and why.
                            Last edited by BobLoblaw; Sat Jun 20, 2015, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                              Maybe if LN is effective, it could work? But rookies are rarely positive on defense, even if they get a lot of blocks.

It's a small sample size, so stats can't be trusted too much. It's hard to judge without going back and watching those minutes.

Besides, those lineups were very different. There are small ball lineups: 2pat, Amir or Hansbrough at center, JJ at power forward, Greivis at point, and Ross + DD or Lou+Ross on the wing. And there are also more traditional lineups with Jonas + a real power forward.

Edit:
                              Looking more into these GV-Ross-JJ lineups, surprisingly, the real small ball 3-ball units with 2pat at center were quite effective defensively and very effective offensively (1.23 points per possession scored, 1.03 allowed).

The more traditional units with Jonas at center were good on offense, but atrocious on defense, overall a negative.

Small ball with Amir at center didn't function on offense, also overall a negative.

But now we got into super small sample sizes, just around a couple quarters for each of these groups, so that's really just a for fun exercise. We'd have to go back and see those games, to know what worked and why.
                              Hmmmm...

I guess it's time to look at some film.
                              Axel wrote:
                              KeonClark wrote:
                              KeonClark wrote:

Comment

• Cavs want a backup guard that can pass.. GV would fit perfectly.

However Haywood's contract is interesting. It's only worth $2.2M before July 1st.. and $10.5M after.

So the Raptors could trade Ross for #24 right now (would just waive Haywood and only get Ross' contract off the books but replace that with another rookie scale contract). Ross doesn't pass but fits that 'guard' that Cavs are looking for.

Or they can wait until after July 1st and create a package like GV+JJ or GV+TR for #24 + cap space.

Preferably I would like to keep TR because he'll be worth more than pick #24 after his rookie contract is over. Assuming he gets a reasonable deal (reasonable should be mid-level or below mid-level even with his potential).

GV+JJ is intriguing.. Could gain $8.9M just like that and use that on Amir (or Lou to replace GV) and then still have enough to sign a free agent like Middleton, Carroll or Harris.

I can't stand GV so the thought of him playing for another team is actually really intriguing (even if he wins a championship). Hate to see JJ go but it's not like he'll play for Casey anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X