Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great comment again.
    Especially about Gortat and Drummond.
    And Drummond can't hit FTs, plus you really don't know IF he's going to develop offensively. In JV's case, the question is more like how high is his offensive ceiling.
    People who never plays bball are saying how awkward is JV in the post. The answer to that "IT DOESN'T MATTER".
    As long as he's scoring, the polishing will come later, same with the footwork. Great footwork takes time IF you're not naturally gifted like the Dream or Embib.

People think Gortat is some kind of beast down low and an ALL star (he's not, DMC is and JV will).
    Wait til next series and you will see how much Raps truly sucked donkey balls in that series. We made the WIZ team look like the DREAM team. We really did!

Axel wrote: View Post
    But Drummond isn't nearly as good offensively. So it's basically a wash in my books. Drummond gets a lot more opportunity to score because his team tries to get him more involved than the Raps, but his %s aren't nearly as good cause JV is way more polished.

You also need to check out Gortat's regular season stats, cause you are letting the playoffs completely warp your perspective.

Don't forget, JV is already on a great path for his position.
    http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...295#post366295

Comment

Abbas wrote: View Post
      I think he's currently top 15 and hopefully he'll be top 10 next season

My list
      Top 15 Centers
      1 Marc Gasol
      2 DeMarcus Cousins
      3 DeAndre Jordon
      4 Dwight Howard
      5 Al Horford
      6 Brook Lopez
      7 Nikola Vucevic
      8 Rudy Gobert
      9 Joakim noah
      10 Andrew Bogut
      11 Tyson Chandler
      12 Andre Drummond
      13 Marcin Gortat
      14 Hassan Whiteside
      15 Jonas Valanciunas

For the 15th spot some could even argue Robin Lopez deserves it more than JV

EDIT: Roy Hibbert
      I would put Noah and Bogut a bit higher. Probably at 6 and 7.

Vuc is a beast on a terrible team. Hardest one to judge. Great offensive player who rebounds...but he's a been very weak defensively in pretty much every way so far.

Gobert and Whiteside are a bit hard to judge due to small samples. So they may be over/under valued here.

Basically I'd bump the vets up a bit, and I'd say there's very little gap between a fair chunk of guys, probably after the top 5 or so. Lots of guys with some kind of flaws or limitations in their game. Jonas is somewhere in that 10-15 range, but could easily jump a lot of guys with slight improvements on both ends.

**I'd not count Horford if possible even though he plays C because he's played out of position his whole career. Just need to watch the current playoffs to see that it really IS a problem having him play C, because he can simply have trouble with a big C who's skilled, like Lopez. But anyway, lets since he does start there.

**I'd also probably flip Jordan and Howard. Jordan's become one of the best defensive/rebounding Cs in the game (maybe the best), but he's horribly limited offensively and will always be the 5th option on the floor. His D carries his rank, but two-way guys should be higher (which is similarly why i think Bogut and Noah should be bumped up ahead of guys like Brook and Vuc). Being able to carry a decent, possibly significant offensive load is a huge asset.
      Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Apr 30, 2015, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Here's my trade value ranking follow Simmons' rules of thumb

Marc Gasol Can't see Memphis accepting a 1 for 1 trade for any of the players below
        DeMarcus Cousins Most dominant C alive, precarious situation in SAC
        Rudy Gobert Just scratching potential - rookie contract
        Karl Towns Sky's the limit
        DeAndre Jordan Lots of years left, still getting better
        Jahlil Okafor Better all around Big Al is pretty damn good
        Dwight Howard Can make big swing up or down in the next couple months
        Andre Drummond Still raw but very high potential, ceiling is so much higher than JV but larger risk
        Jonas Valunciunas Not sure if I would trade for anyone below.. Maybe just a homer
        Joel Embiid Injury concerns, could be top 3 by end of next season
        Brook Lopez Underrated but needs team to be constructed around him
        Al Horford Great player in his prime, good contract, probably not a C; couldn't guard most of these guys single coverage
        Nikola Vucevic No inside presence, great numbers
        Hassan Whiteside Headcase risk
        Jusuf Nurkic Not so familiar with his game but seems to be valued prospect
        Willie Caulie-Stein Peak Tyson Chandler in 5 years
        Tyson Chandler Getting up there in age
        Nerlens Noel Defensive impact player, might not be a true C
        Andrew Bogut A winner, not an impact player on offense
        Joakim Noah Seems to be breaking down
        Marcin Gortat Current league average C
        Al Jefferson Twilight years

Comment

The_Warlord wrote: View Post
          Here's my trade value ranking follow Simmons' rules of thumb

Marc Gasol Can't see Memphis accepting a 1 for 1 trade for any of the players below
          DeMarcus Cousins Most dominant C alive, precarious situation in SAC
          Rudy Gobert Just scratching potential - rookie contract
          Karl Towns Sky's the limit
          DeAndre Jordan Lots of years left, still getting better
          Jahlil Okafor Better all around Big Al is pretty damn good
          Dwight Howard Can make big swing up or down in the next couple months
          Andre Drummond Still raw but very high potential, ceiling is so much higher than JV but larger risk
          Jonas Valunciunas Not sure if I would trade for anyone below.. Maybe just a homer
          Joel Embiid Injury concerns, could be top 3 by end of next season
          Brook Lopez Underrated but needs team to be constructed around him
          Al Horford Great player in his prime, good contract, probably not a C; couldn't guard most of these guys single coverage
          Nikola Vucevic No inside presence, great numbers
          Hassan Whiteside Headcase risk
          Jusuf Nurkic Not so familiar with his game but seems to be valued prospect
          Willie Caulie-Stein Peak Tyson Chandler in 5 years
          Tyson Chandler Getting up there in age
          Nerlens Noel Defensive impact player, might not be a true C
          Andrew Bogut A winner, not an impact player on offense
          Joakim Noah Seems to be breaking down
          Marcin Gortat Current league average C
          Al Jefferson Twilight years
          Depends on what the Raptors intend to do. If rebuilding, I wouldn't mind trading JV for Embiid, but I don't think the sixers do it.
          "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

hotfuzz wrote: View Post
            Depends on what the Raptors intend to do. If rebuilding, I wouldn't mind trading JV for Embiid, but I don't think the sixers do it.
            Embiid's a tough sell. He has the tools to be a monster. But there's enough risk that he could be a total bust just based on injuries. He's a young big man who's already struggling with foot and back issues, two things that often shorten/destroy careers. I'd struggle to trade any good piece for such a guy.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              Embiid's a tough sell. He has the tools to be a monster. But there's enough risk that he could be a total bust just based on injuries. He's a young big man who's already struggling with foot and back issues, two things that often shorten/destroy careers. I'd struggle to trade any good piece for such a guy.
              not to mention work ethic issues as well.

Comment

JV is currently top 15 but he has huge potential to be a top 10 or even top 5. He has the size, fundamental post up game, and is a good FT shooter. It really depends on how the Raptors are gonna use him, which is why I will always prefer a pass-first pg.

So far, the current system wants to make JV into a Tyson Chandler/DeAndre Jordan type but he's more of an Andrew Bynum/Brook Lopez. Not sure what Magloire really does but JV needs a Kareem or Ewing to coach and mentor him.

Comment

2KJ wrote: View Post
                  JV is currently top 15 but he has huge potential to be a top 10 or even top 5. He has the size, fundamental post up game, and is a good FT shooter. It really depends on how the Raptors are gonna use him, which is why I will always prefer a pass-first pg.

So far, the current system wants to make JV into a Tyson Chandler/DeAndre Jordan type but he's more of an Andrew Bynum/Brook Lopez. Not sure what Magloire really does but JV needs a Kareem or Ewing to coach and mentor him.
                  A (Lawson-Derzaon-Khris.M-Kenneth.F-JV) sounds sooo GREAT

Pass first PG
                  Amazing at getting to the line SG
                  Near elite 3P shooter
                  Hustle Player who rebounds great
                  Post-up Big man
                  Abbas wrote:

First of all i was my own source

Comment

Abbas wrote: View Post
                    A (Lawson-Derzaon-Khris.M-Kenneth.F-JV) sounds sooo GREAT

Pass first PG
                    Amazing at getting to the line SG
                    Near elite 3P shooter
                    Hustle Player who rebounds great
                    Post-up Big man
                    That's a middle of the road team that wouldn't ever make a deep playoff run.
                    "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

That team will be better then the team we have right now

And with that team we will have a shit ton of cap space to spend it on our bench

Add people like
                      - Noris Cole
                      - Marco Belinelli
                      - JJ
                      - Ed Davis
                      - Parkins

Now that team will have some vets/experienced-players and it will have some youngsters who have talent

So yes they could make a deep playoff run
                      Abbas wrote:

Comment

It's better than our team...

Lowry > than Lawson when Lowry's on point, but Lawson >>>> Playoff Lowry
                        DD
                        Middleton > Ross
                        Faried > Amir
                        JV
                        The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

007 wrote: View Post
                          It's better than our team...

Lowry > than Lawson when Lowry's on point, but Lawson >>>> Playoff Lowry
                          DD
                          Middleton > Ross
                          Faried > Amir
                          JV
                          Sure, but it's still not good enough to make a deep run.
                          "Stay steamy"

- Kobe

Comment

In this year's East? Definitely can.

Comment

Yes man They can

And plus next season Derozan and JV will be a step better. Add a near allstar pass first pg, elite 3p shooter, very good re bounder/hustle player and a veteran bench you can a contender in the East
                              Abbas wrote:

Comment

Pretty darn high. I've been going over his post-up stats and he's already scary good, even with his limited number of moves.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X