Woj: Casey will be back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post
    Option #4, MLSE doesn't want to pay two head coaches at once, and Masai thinks Nurse is his guy. We improve the roster and fire Casey during the season at the first sign of a slump, promoting Nurse to head coach. No extra money needed.
    Option #4b:

Nurse gets a short at interim head coach giving an evaluation period for Masai as to his head coaching abilities and suitability. Meanwhile Kevin Ollie's buyout goes down to just $1M from current $4M at UCONN. KD is a pipe dream, no question, but there is enough smoke that I believe Masai will definitely pursue it. It is a bonus that Ollie seems to be a competent coach in addition to his relationship with Durant.

**should be noted that Nurse wasn't actually a Masai guy. Yes he was hired when Masai came on board but Casey had spent time with him interviewing and picking his brain about the horns offense. Colangelo got fired, Nurse didn't think a move to NBA would happen as Casey was unlikely to be retained by new GM, but lo and behold, Casey was retained and Nurse was brought in after all. I can't find story I read on these details. You'll have to take me at my word - lol.

League sources say the Raptors have already conducted initial interviews with assistant coach hopefuls Nick Nurse of the Rio Grande Vipers of the D League, former Raptor and current Brooklyn assistant Popeye Jones and ex-NBAer Tyronn Lue. Whether those three have to be re-interviewed once Ujiri is on the job full-time remains to be seen but the future of the current staff is cloudier than it’s ever been. None have contracts guaranteed past the end of June and it’s expected none will be in town this week when some players come back for workout sessions with members of the team’s training staff.

The emergence of those names as possible replacements to a staff including Johnny Davis, Scott Roth, Tom Sterner and Micah Nori is not news, the fact they’ve already spoken to members of the Raptors front office would suggest significant change to Dwane Casey’s staff is at hand. Team sources said weeks ago that seeking permission to interview potential new assistant coaches was simply a due diligence process; the desire now for change with a new general manager in place has been hastened.

Casey, according to league sources, has already spoken at length with Ujiri and Leiweke and would seem safe from any purge. He has a year left on his contract.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...ing_house.html

Great read on Nurse, very long, detailed article on him and his journey to NBA assistant coach:

In 2007, the NBA Development League (still in its early stages) awarded an expansion franchise to Des Moines. Given a chance to coach closer to home while simultaneously taking a step closer to the NBA, Nurse accepted an offer to coach the Iowa Energy.

Having coached at many different levels, Nurse says now that the D-League is the most challenging. The main reason is the unprecedented roster turnover that happens during the course of a season, as players are shuffled out of the league via NBA call ups, or decisions to take overseas offers or retire from the game entirely. “The nice way of putting it is that it’s a transitionary league,” Nurse explains. “It’s unbelievable training for rebuilding chemistry during a season. [In any other league], a coach will get a team, and once the chemistry is right, it stays that way. In the D-League, you’re rebuilding that 10 to 15 times within a single season.”

Nurse wasn’t just learning on the court and the sidelines. The D-League allows players to participate in continuing education courses through its player development program. Nurse became the first coach to take advantage of that opportunity. During his time in Iowa, he enrolled in online courses on Interpersonal Communication and Conflict Management offered by Michigan State University, which he said helped him improve his communication skills with both players and referees.

By the summer of 2013, Nurse had accomplished all that he could as a coach outside of the NBA. In his six seasons in the D-League—with the Energy and, later, the Rio Grande Valley Vipers—Nurse finished with a 192-123 record (.610) and became the first head coach in D-League history to lead two different teams to the championship. He’d also worked as an assistant for the British National Team and at NBA Summer League. He finally received the call from the NBA in July 2013, when the Raptors hired him to join Casey’s coaching staff for the 2013-14 season.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...ors-assistant/

Comment

• Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
      #3. Masai realized the type of talent Casey has to work with doesn't match his coaching style, specifically defensively. So, he's going to add more pieces to see if there is any improvement and if the coach and his system are worth keeping. If they're shit, coach is gone before December. Players are moved at trade deadline and we're back to square one.
      Then why not just get a new coach now ?

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
        Option #4b:

Nurse gets a short at interim head coach giving an evaluation period for Masai as to his head coaching abilities and suitability. Meanwhile Kevin Ollie's buyout goes down to just $1M from current $4M at UCONN. KD is a pipe dream, no question, but there is enough smoke that I believe Masai will definitely pursue it. It is a bonus that Ollie seems to be a competent coach in addition to his relationship with Durant.

**should be noted that Nurse wasn't actually a Masai guy. Yes he was hired when Masai came on board but Casey had spent time with him interviewing and picking his brain about the horns offense. Colangelo got fired, Nurse didn't think a move to NBA would happen as Casey was unlikely to be retained by new GM, but lo and behold, Casey was retained and Nurse was brought in after all. I can't find story I read on these details. You'll have to take me at my word - lol.

Great read on Nurse, very long, detailed article on him and his journey to NBA assistant coach:
        The Nick Nurse angle is the most plausible scenarios put forth. It shields MU from blowback if he were to name Nurse as his head coach this offseason should things not pan out. As an interim head coach he can easily be let go if needed without too much blame on MU.

Comment

• Will be interesting to see what two Assistants Masai adds to the coaching staff. Might be the future coach in waiting is one of those guys, my money is just on Nurse for now.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
            Will be interesting to see what two Assistants Masai adds to the coaching staff. Might be the future coach in waiting is one of those guys, my money is just on Nurse for now.
            People are claiming Casey wants a former NBA player on the staff.
            Axel wrote:
            Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
            KeonClark wrote:
            We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
            KeonClark wrote:
            I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
              Jamaal Magloire is already on his staff.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                One with, you know, talent, and skills to teach.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  One with, you know, talent, and skills to teach.
                  This is what I remember the most about Magloire

OG is our king

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                    Then why not just get a new coach now ?
                    There's a million explanations, none of which I know for certain and all of which are flawed.

I don't agree with keeping Casey, I think it makes for an unnecessary sticky situation. I'm just trying to keep an open mind and give the benefit of doubt to Masai because I'm pretty sure he's smarter than me when it comes to basketball.
                    Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                    Because its 2015

Comment

• Cody73 wrote: View Post
                      Yeah, so he can activate him for games. lol.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                        Yeah, so he can activate him for games. lol.
                        Player coach Rasual Butler......

Remember when Casey use to give Rasual Butler heavy minutes, despite how terrible Rasual Butler was?

Comment

• Didn't someone mention Billups as a potential assistant coach/head coach in training. This seems like an interesting candidate because he is already close with Lowry, our best player. If Billups can keep Lowry focused then eveyone else will follow his lead. Billups has plenty of respect around the league as well. Someone potential free agents might want to play for if all options in front of them are equal....could tip the balance scenario.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            I know that he is probably just the token Canadian but I really like him. I have observed approaching fans and thanking them for coming to their and their support for the team. He is truly a good ambassador for the team--whether he contributes to the coaching not sure-but having a former player who appreciates the fans and treats them with respect is a good example for players like TR.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                              Didn't someone mention Billups as a potential assistant coach/head coach in training. This seems like an interesting candidate because he is already close with Lowry, our best player. If Billups can keep Lowry focused then eveyone else will follow his lead. Billups has plenty of respect around the league as well. Someone potential free agents might want to play for if all options in front of them are equal....could tip the balance scenario.
                              Yeah I agree and Billups career not too dissimilar from Lowry's.

Comment

• psrs1 wrote: View Post
                                Yeah I agree and Billups career not too dissimilar from Lowry's.
                                Billups would be awesome as an assistant coach to be groomed for the future. Superstars like Chris Paul just rave about the guy. People shed tears when he leaves their city. lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X