Woj: Casey will be back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axel wrote: View Post
    Would Thibs even want to come here though?

Assuming he leaves Chicago, with what would likely be a messy divorce, does he want to come to a team that has a notorious coach fighter in Lowry over say, a team full of eager youngsters in Orlando who will follow his every command?

Personally, after the exhaustion of this season with the Bulls, a group of youngsters who want to learn and the sunny skies of Orlando sound a lot more enticing then the pressure of the Raps and the roster that comes with it.
    It's probably a waste of time to speculate on what Thibs would want…

…but in terms of what Masai can offer, I think he pitches the longview. Ownership with deep pockets committed to building a winner. Character, process and culture building emphasized. Overseen by a GM with a vision, but also the confidence and intelligence to step back and let the coach just coach. (Or not coach, as the case may be )

As for Lowry, if your description of him is actually how he's actually perceived by people in the league…you let Thibs know he'll be gone asap.
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Joey wrote: View Post
      But imagine Leafs Fans all turned to Casual Observers when something counter to logic happens with their team ... they would have NO fans left! And yet, they ALL seem to be Die Hards.

... what if MLSE is trying to turn us all into Leafs fans ...
      I'm sure they'd love that, but I can't see it happening based on the demographics of basketball fans (younger) vs hockey fans.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
        It's probably a waste of time to speculate on what Thibs would want…

…but in terms of what Masai can offer, I think he pitches the longview. Ownership with deep pockets committed to building a winner. Character, process and culture building emphasized. Overseen by a GM with a vision, but also the confidence and intelligence to step back and let the coach just coach. (Or not coach, as the case may be )

As for Lowry, if your description of him is actually how he's actually perceived by people in the league…you let Thibs know he'll be gone asap.
        Even then, if I'm Thibs, I would rather a young collection of talented players vs "promises of the future."

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I am putting all my fan emotions on hold until I see what Masai's up to. He's got a plan that probably hinges on summer 2016, the coaching decision is a part of that, and obviously nobody (even a guy like Woj) knows what the discussion is in the Raps' front office.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Even then, if I'm Thibs, I would rather a young collection of talented players vs "promises of the future."
            Could very well be.

I'm just guessing at what the Raptors would pitch.

I'm personally not thrilled with Orlando's roster. All the makings of a treadmill team.
            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Could very well be.

I'm just guessing at what the Raptors would pitch.

I'm personally not thrilled with Orlando's roster. All the makings of a treadmill team.
              2 Top 10 picked rookies.
              #2 pick sophomore.
              24 yr old center averaging 19 & 10 last year
              Future Lakers pick (top 5 protected in 2017 & 2018 - unprotected in 2019).

That's a hell of a treadmill.

Comment

If Casey was coming back, Masai would have said so already.

He's waiting to see about Thibs.
                I suspect Thibs isn't his first choice. Thibs is a good coach in many respects, but he overplays his starters and grinds them down, and I doubt Masai wants to bet that the Raps' training staff can counter that. I think Masai is either looking at one of the San Antonio assistants or he's got a lead on some guy we haven't even considered.

Comment

I think he'll be given a chance to get better with a new roster (as I'm sure this is coming up, given this news). If, by mid-season, he can't make us better, he's gone.
                  The NBA Larry O'Brien Trophy's 'Big Decision': "This is hard..(smiling)...but..I've decided to take my talents to North Texas, to join The Dallas Mavericks.

"My Gladiator verses VS. what ya verse says"--Adversaree
                  Check out my song "Beat Fighter 2010" (prod. by Pete Cannon)
                  www.myspace.com/adversareeteamfresh
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/adversaree
                  http://twitter.com/#!/GiftOfSpeech (Twitter)

Comment

2 Top 10 picked rookies.
                    #2 pick sophomore.

I'm quite aware of what their roster is comprised of thanks, lol.

For all their talent, it could be that no one they have tops out better than a fringe All-Star. That's the recipe for a treadmill team. Maybe a treadmill team for the ages, but still, a treadmill team.
                    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I'm quite aware of what their roster is comprised of thanks, lol.

For all their talent, it could be that no one they have tops out better than a fringe All-Star. That's the recipe for a treadmill team. Maybe a treadmill team for the ages, but still, a treadmill team.
                      Typically, a treadmill team is a team that isn't good enough to win or bad enough to get a top pick. Based on their picks alone, they aren't falling under "all the makings of a treadmill team" though. Whether they get it together or not is another question I guess,

Comment

MU could be keeping him because if he fires him now and the team starts out slow next season all eyes will be on him. But if Casey is still here MU can fire him to by himself more time.

But if MU truly thinks Casey is the man to take this team to the next level then we're screwed.
                        "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                          MU could be keeping him because if he fires him now and the team starts out slow next season all eyes will be on him. But if Casey is still here MU can fire him to by himself more time.

But if MU truly thinks Casey is the man to take this team to the next level then we're screwed.
                          Yeah, I've sort of thought the same thing as a possibility. It may actually be easier for Ujiri to fire him in, say, December..

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            Yeah, I've sort of thought the same thing as a possibility. It may actually be easier for Ujiri to fire him in, say, December..
                            Which would mean next year could end up as even more of a mess. Zero continuity, god knows what kind of development. In season coaching hires aren't exactly creme de la creme.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              This is exactly like Sam Mitchell 2.0
                              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

2 Top 10 picked rookies.
                                #2 pick sophomore.

The picks look nice, but I'm not a huge fan of the players that those picks represent. Without a nice FA signing I don't really see them breaking into elite either.

there are a few other up and coming teams I think will be better than them and be able to lock them out of any major success

Comment

Working...
                                X