Bill Simmons and ESPN to Part Ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

magoon wrote: View Post
    Fox Sports and NBC, at a minimum, will be falling over themselves to offer Simmons a wheelbarrow full of money.
    I believe Simmons comments about Roger Goodell led to his firing. With Fox and NBC having NFL broadcast rights, a Simmons hiring is not likely in the works, imo.

Comment

EverythingBlaxx wrote: View Post
      I can see Yahoo in his future. I think Marissa Mayer, in her everlasting quest to turn Yahoo around, will give him the creative license and freedom he is looking for along with the dollars. Adding him to a team that includes Woj, Marc Spears and all the people behind Ball Don't Lie makes almost too much sense.

Plus if anyone is going to figure out how to truly monetize podcasts beyond Subway and SquareSpace ads, it's probably going to be Bill Simmons.
      Wherever BS lands, look for a heavy dose of insults/slights to Raptor fans (and Canadians in general) to pump up troll clicks. Simmons wrote the book on that.

Comment

Simmons is a huge jerk, a Celtics homer. Take him for what he is, a fan with a loud microphone. He will not be missed on ESPN.

Comment

Sticks wrote: View Post
          Simmons is a huge jerk, a Celtics homer. Take him for what he is, a fan with a loud microphone. He will not be missed on ESPN.
          You joined in 2014, and your only post is hating on Bill Simmons? He is a good talent and a basketball historian who does a decent job mixing humor with basketball. He basically created Grantland. Don't be such a hater.

Comment

Hurricane_Herm wrote: View Post
            You joined in 2014, and your only post is hating on Bill Simmons? He is a good talent and a basketball historian who does a decent job mixing humor with basketball. He basically created Grantland. Don't be such a hater.
            Agreed. Him being a homer for his hometown teams is why I really like him. He's like one of us, a normal fan, not some former player or robot journalist with none of their own opinions.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
              Agreed. Him being a homer for his hometown teams is why I really like him. He's like one of us, a normal fan, not some former player or robot journalist with none of their own opinions.
              Hey he is transparent about it ...

The more I think about it .. Nobody wins with Bill Leaving .... ESPN is better with him and ESPN is the best canvas for Bill to express his creativity ..
              Last edited by guyroch; Fri May 15, 2015, 12:40 PM.

Comment

No podcasts this week ... His take on Patriots would be fun and Clippers game 6 disaster would also be intereresting ..

Comment

There will be no farewell columns, podcasts or television appearances for Bill Simmons on ESPN.

SI has learned that ESPN and Simmons have worked out an agreement that officially ends his tenure as a front-facing employee for ESPN. Simmons sent an email to Grantland staffers this week informing them that he would no longer be working for the site he founded in 2011. Simmons will also no longer do podcasts or appear on television for ESPN.

An ESPN spokesperson declined comment Friday afternoon when contacted by SI. The Simmons camp has declined all interview requests since last week, including one from SI on Friday

Comment

Since being fired by ESPN, Bill Simmons has sent multiple goodbye emails to members of the Grantland staff. Here is a portion of one of them:

Wanted to tell you that it looks like I am done being involved with Grantland. Can’t say much here for obvious reasons, at least for now—I know you understand. In the short-term—don’t let this bullshit affect you. Just keep doing what you’re doing. It’s a job. We tried to make it feel like it was more than a job these last four years, but right now, it’s still a job and Grantland is still being consumed and judged by the general public (with unusually high standards, too). So keep the quality of your work as high as it’s always been. Work situations are rarely going to be perfect and you can’t allow it to affect what you’re doing. The best way to “respond” right now is to keep putting out a great site. If you didn’t know, April was our best month—we passed 10 million uniques without chasing traffic and without any leading-the-site promotion whatsoever from ESPN.com (just one Mets piece for like 90 minutes, that’s it). We built an audience because of quality and quality only. You guys should feel good about that

Comment

I see Bill Simmons as a heir apparent to Irnie Johnson

Comment

ball4life wrote: View Post
                        I see Bill Simmons as a heir apparent to Irnie Johnson
                        Why not give him a blank chq and come do all of his stuff on TSN or Sportsnet . Heck MLSE maybe to take over CEO of their organization .

Comment

Bill Simmons To Host Weekly Show On HBO

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...ly-Show-On-HBO

Comment

Bill Simmons is back … with a new podcast - Just in time for NBA season ..

Bill Simmons is coming back to podcasting. The creator of ESPN’s Grantland announced on Twitter Monday that he’ll be returning to the airwaves this fall — Oct. 1, to be exact. Needless to say, that first episode should be a doozy. Simmons has never shied away from voicing his opinions, but his breakup with Disney-owned ESPN came in rather spectacular fashion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...a-new-podcast/

Comment

guyroch wrote: View Post
                              Bill Simmons is back … with a new podcast - Just in time for NBA season ..

Bill Simmons is coming back to podcasting. The creator of ESPN’s Grantland announced on Twitter Monday that he’ll be returning to the airwaves this fall — Oct. 1, to be exact. Needless to say, that first episode should be a doozy. Simmons has never shied away from voicing his opinions, but his breakup with Disney-owned ESPN came in rather spectacular fashion.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...a-new-podcast/
                              "Simmons used his podcasting success as a springboard to building a brand." WTF the Internet didn't start with podcasting. Bill's "Sports Guy" brand started online in Boston with an AOL column way back in the 90's - wayyyyyy before iPods and podcasts came around. #GetYourDigitalMediaFactsStraight #ImNotReallyUpset
                              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                                "Simmons used his podcasting success as a springboard to building a brand." WTF the Internet didn't start with podcasting. Bill's "Sports Guy" brand started online in Boston with an AOL column way back in the 90's - wayyyyyy before iPods and podcasts came around. #GetYourDigitalMediaFactsStraight #ImNotReallyUpset
                                I don't think Simmons got popular nationwide until the podcast came out. That's probably what they meant.

Comment

Working...
                                X