Backup point guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Primer wrote: View Post
    Gary Neal played just as good on his next teams, the issue is he was never very good. Look at his stats with the Spurs and afterwards, basically exactly the same.
    While his stats were similar his actual impact was not the same. He was never going to go off and be a starter and put up near allstar numbers, but with a specific role defined in San An he was effective and made winning plays. His stats were empty in his other stops over the last 2 seasons.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

It's hard to acquire a backup PG without spending too much. If GV can actually play like he did in NOLA then I think he's one of the better ones in the league. However if GV is being traded, then I say just give Nando de Colo a contract. He is an RFA and played in Europe for a year.. so his value should be fairly decent. And he came from the Spurs system as well.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
        It's hard to acquire a backup PG without spending too much. If GV can actually play like he did in NOLA then I think he's one of the better ones in the league. However if GV is being traded, then I say just give Nando de Colo a contract. He is an RFA and played in Europe for a year.. so his value should be fairly decent. And he came from the Spurs system as well.
        I want us to bring back Nando to fill Lou Williams 6th man role. Nando is more of a SG than a PG, but he does have some decent PG skills. I think he'd work better from a team perspective, and he should be way way cheaper than Lou would be.

Comment

I dont understand why Raptor fans are so stuck on old raptor players who used to play for this team.

Comment

McRealistic wrote: View Post
            I dont understand why Raptor fans are so stuck on old raptor players who used to play for this team.
            We still have the rights to Nando, that's why. He is ours if we want to sign him to a new deal.

Also, please check out how amazing he played in euro league when given a bigger role. I think he got exactly the kind of minutes against high level competition he needed to take his game to the next level.

I am tired of hearing about Ed Davis, so I do feel you on some of the former raps players.

Comment

Before deciding on if the raptors need a back up PG, don't they have to decide on what they're doing with Casey and Lou?

The type of PG you go after will change depending on if Lou stays or goes. I actually don't mind GV if he's allowed to operate the PnR. That's his one elite skill and Casey hasn't exploited it. I know his weaknesses on D but he's a back up PG, none of them are perfect and can be hidden in the right system.
              Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
              Because its 2015

Comment

Since we have GV under contract still, 3rd string PG, and heir apparent after this year to the backup role, seems more pressing. Could definitely be addressed through the draft if a good PG prospect is available at our pick.

Starting PF and SF are definitely the biggest team needs, followed by backup SG (6th man), and then 3rd string young prospects at PG, SG, PF, and possibly C depending on if Bebe is given the backup role or not (he should be, time to give him some damn minutes already).

Comment

I agree with one of the posts above I think the spurs covet Cory for depth and insurance on both mills and parkers health

Comment

no way you get joseph without overpaying for him. spurs invested too much time with him.

Comment

otiswolf1 wrote: View Post
                      no way you get joseph without overpaying for him. spurs invested too much time with him.
                      They still have Parker and Mills though and want a shot at a free agent. A decent sized bid might scare them off.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Some form of GV for CoJo might work. Before coming to the Raps, GV used to be a high IQ player who led the league in assists. Spurs like those type of players. Defense might scare them off, but when used properly, GV adds a scoring & playmaking dimension that could fit the Spurs nicely.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                          Some form of GV for CoJo might work. Before coming to the Raps, GV used to be a high IQ player who led the league in assists. Spurs like those type of players. Defense might scare them off, but when used properly, GV adds a scoring & playmaking dimension that could fit the Spurs nicely.
                          Or we could just sign Joseph?

I'm sure if the Spurs had their pick of having GV and his contract and not having GV and his contract, they'd turn him down even if they didn't have to give anything up

Comment

Okay guys relax. Gv isn't that bad. Yes his defence is putrid but he's a backup point guard for fucks sake. They all suck one way or another. At least gv is clutch af and probably the clutchest player on our roster.

The point guard position is probably our best and most deep position. Don't let one bad playoff run blind your vision.
                            I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

Joseph is being groomed by Pop to succeed TP as the point guard of the future. He and Kawaii are the future of the Spurs.

I'd rather go after the Aussie guy from the Cavs, Matthew Devaladova. Great defender, good ball IQ, did a great job shutting down Lowry.

Comment

2KJ wrote: View Post
                                Joseph is being groomed by Pop to succeed TP as the point guard of the future. He and Kawaii are the future of the Spurs.

I'd rather go after the Aussie guy from the Cavs, Matthew Devaladova. Great defender, good ball IQ, did a great job shutting down Lowry.
                                Agreed on Delladova, he's great. Can shoot 3's and draw fouls pretty well. Like a better version of GV.

Comment

Working...
                                X