Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Make Terrible Mistake By Firing Tom Sterner ... no one cares about Bayno.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Casey got fired, Sterner would be gone anyways. New coaches usually bring in their own guys with them as assistants.

As far as the assistants getting fired, I've been saything that they work most closely with player development and both JV and Ross really didn't take the step forward they needed to this season. Ross stepped backwards. Can't have two starters out of sync with the rest of the team and hope to get anywhere, so they need to make some changes to get those two where they need to be. Not made at either firing if it gets JV and Ross developed faster. Will miss Sterner though, guy was straight up entertaining and you could just tell how much he loved talking basketball and working in the NBA. I think he gets another job somewhere in the NBA.

Comment

I just want to bring him back so i can say goodbye

Comment

There have been many rumors Ujiri wants to shake up Toronto’s assistants, and his blatant omission of giving them the same support he gave Casey is probably a strong sign they don’t have it.

The Raptors had an above-average defense in Casey’s first season and an above-average offense in his second. There are signs Casey will be a good coach for the Raptors, but they haven’t put it all together yet. Maybe new assistants will help them get there, but that’s not all they need.

A roster that features shooters Rudy Gay, DeMar DeRozan and Andrea Bargnani isn’t the easiest to coach. Those players overlap skills more than they complement each other. More than help with the coaching staff, Casey needs someone to upgrade Toronto’s players, and that’s where Ujiri comes in.

Casey deserves this third year and a chance to prove himself while Ujiri builds a potentially winning roster. In time, Ujiri will have a better idea how well Casey can coach the players the new general manager wants, and then Ujiri can make a more informed decision on his coach.
        This quote is from an article two years ago. Sound familiar?

Comment

Thank god Nurse is still on the staff, all will be well. I'm convinced Masai brought in Nurse as his head coach in training, the only thing Nurse resume lacked was NBA coaching experience, and now he has 2 years under his belt. By not firing Casey yet, it will allow Masai to fire him early in the season, and promote Nurse to head coach, while still paying him his assistant coach salary, so we don't end up paying any extra money except for maybe a new assistant brought in.

This is all Masai's plan to get his guy in place while not rocking the money boat of the MLSE. Look for the new assistants brought in to be guys that would complement Nurse, so some defensive minded assistants and player development guys. Nurse is all about high octane offense and I would expect a very different style of play once he is in control. Much more similar to the team right after the Rudy Gay trade, lots of ball movement and off ball movement, using multiple screens, and taking open looks with a lot of 3s.

I bet Nurse was the guy rumored to be looking to get out of dodge since Casey wouldn't listen to him, but Masai assured him he'll get the coaching gig as soon as Casey falters. Now, if Nurse is let go, then we're really fucked and I have no idea what Masai is doing.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
            You could have said this was written yesterday about this year and you literally would only have to change one word ("third") and replace or remove Gay and Bargnani's names.

Seriously, at this point, I REALLY don't think its the players (...except Bargnani) or the assistants here...
            "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
            "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

So, dysfunction reigns in the coaching ranks AND within the player group.

And Masai would claim he couldn't tell/intervene? He says he had to study this after the season. I hate it when people try to be disingenuous....on purpose.

Maybe there is dysfunction in the management ranks as well.

Time for a new poll....which group is more responsible for the season ending?

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                So, dysfunction reigns in the coaching ranks AND within the player group.

And Masai would claim he couldn't tell/intervene? He says he had to study this after the season. I hate it when people try to be disingenuous....on purpose.

Maybe there is dysfunction in the management ranks as well.

Time for a new poll....which group is more responsible for the season ending?
                Clearly all of the above.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                  Yeah how dare he play his heart and soul out and have a career season, while playing through injuries at the end of the season
                  For a million time. I don't buy the injury excuse. Lowry started playing poorly after being named an all star starter. He injured his back during the Wolves game in Toronto. I don't have the schedule with me but that game was what, 1 month after the all star break??
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

In fairness, I seem to recall at the time that there was some friction with Casey and the staff because there were too many guys who were seen to be Colangelo's water carriers rather than Casey's assistants. I think the move two years ago was not only about improving the quality of the staff but cleaning out guys from the BC era.

This move has other motivations....

Comment

MU has upgraded the players since then. Hence the 48 & 49 wins. Now he needs to upgrade the current players again.

I don't believe Casey is here for the long haul but I can't see him being let go during this upcoming season unless there's a full-on mutiny. I think he's safe for next season and once he's a lame duck coach there's likely only a slim chance of him getting another extension. Though if MU performs some miracles and suddenly the roster is twice as talented & competitive then we'll have to wait and see what the results are. That could encourage MU to keep him around or it could encourage him oust DC and bring in a certified championship coach.
                      Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                        For a million time. I don't buy the injury excuse. Lowry started playing poorly after being named an all star starter. He injured his back during the Wolves game in Toronto. I don't have the schedule with me but that game was what, 1 month after the all star break??
                        Well he probably burnt himself out trying to carry the team when DeMar was out as well and never was able to get the energy back.

Comment

According to Doug Smith, Bayno wanted out while Sterner was shown the door. I wonder if Bayno was unhappy with JV's lack of touches/opportunities.

Bayno wanted to go, he wasn’t overjoyed with his season in Toronto and he was exited, as they say at the highest levels of important human relations departments, at least a couple of days ago. It really had little to do with any performance issues, put that right out of your mind, please.

Sterner? He’s a casualty; there was really nothing specific that he did wrong, it’s just that Masai, after his post-season chinwags with Dwane, wanted some changes and Sterner got caught up in it. I’m told some of the TV broadcasts won’t be nearly as entertaining with him gone but that’s no big deal.

The other two, Jesse Murmuys and Nick Nurse, seem safe, at least from folks I talked to. Murmuys actually worked in Denver with Masai so I would presume he’ll stick around, Nurse is seen as something of an up-and-comer after some D League success.
                          Link: http://www.thestar.com/sports/doug_s...c-changes.html

Comment

Mack North wrote: View Post
                            Still don't get how a whole new assistant coaching staff is gonna help the head coach, especially if they're not "his guys". Why not just can everyone and start fresh? It's not making much sense... Masai better have some tricks up his sleeve or he's gonna feel the wrath by this time next year if the team doesn't improve. I'm still hopeful that doesn't happen...
                            This is indeed baffling.

Comment

i still think Nurse is being semi-groomed for the job
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

[QUOTE=Mess;472226]MU has upgraded the players since then. Hence the 48 & 49 wins. Now he needs to upgrade the current players again.

I don't believe Casey is here for the long haul but I can't see him being let go during this upcoming season unless there's a full-on mutiny. I think he's safe for next season and once he's a lame duck coach there's likely only a slim chance of him getting another extension. Though if MU performs some miracles and suddenly the roster is twice as talented & competitive then we'll have to wait and see what the results are. That could encourage MU to keep him around or it could encourage him oust DC and bring in a certified championship coach.[/QUOTE

But why not just bring in your guy now? To me that says DC is MU's guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X