There has never been a better time to rebuild than right now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Carmelo and one of those players is what you'd be starting with.

Then happens in free agency this year with their $28M in cap space?

Then what happens next year when they add enough salary for another max player?

I imagine that is the train of thought PJax would be taking.
    They can get a lot better than Lowry and Derozan for 4th pick. Why start out with that in a first place.
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• mengtot wrote: View Post
      Are you saying Det would trade their #8 pick for Ppat???

Phil Jackson is worried too much about appeasing Melo right now. DD will definitely not help with that and NY fans would riot if the team trades the #4 pick for him.
      http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2015/5...ade-draft-pick

yeah, i think so. might need to add the 20 or a future pick or something.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
        They can get a lot better than Lowry and Derozan for 4th pick. Why start out with that in a first place.
        who is available?

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
          Are they going to dump Calderon in the process?

Keep in mind there aren't a lot of tanking teams right now and those that are don't really have the assets....except Denver that is.

Denver certainly would be a good place for PJax to start his peddling.

But you're probably right. Who do you think they could get? Looking through the all-stars of the last 2 years, I don't think they can get any of them.

Comment

• I could see Knicks taking Lowry for #4 and salary dump. It would make sense for them.

DD however makes absolutely no sense for them.

Comment

The harm is based on the assumption you can get assets back for Lowry and DeRozan in a trade. If you can't get anything of value for them, then no, there is no harm.

re: bold
              That isn't straight forward. I know what I would rather. But is NY trying to build a contender NOW with an aging Melo? If they are, who is better? Two guys who have been All-Stars very recently or a virtual unknown that might never amount to anything?
              If NY is trying to build a contender now, they are better off doing it via free agency with the cap space they already have rather than trading their #4 pick for either DD / Lowry. I honestly don't see them trading the #4 pick for anyone from the Raptors. Don't get me wrong, if any top 10 pick in the 2015 draft is offered for either DD / Lowry I'm all for it but I do not see that realistically happening without adding a future pick and taking back longer term salaries to make it happen.

Comment

• Actually something to consider is Calderon's contract goes for TWO more seasons.

It is not like Greasy expiring next summer.

Calderon is going to cut in to the Knicks 2015 and 2016 cap space.

The whole league knows PJax plan is to build through free agency.

Granted they have the stretch provision which would take the cap hit to under $3M per season for 5 years but that is still $3M less in cap space.

Comment

• mengtot wrote: View Post
                  If NY is trying to build a contender now, they are better off doing it via free agency with the cap space they already have rather than trading their #4 pick for either DD / Lowry. I honestly don't see them trading the #4 pick for anyone from the Raptors. Don't get me wrong, if any top 10 pick in the 2015 draft is offered for either DD / Lowry I'm all for it but I do not see that realistically happening without adding a future pick and taking back longer term salaries to make it happen.
                  Let's say the Knicks took DeRozan ($10.1M) for 4th pick ($3,992,040, assuming the rather standard 120% rookie scale contract for a top pick) and Calderon ($7.1M). They would add a 25 year old all-star shooting guard in an effort to be more competitive immediately, and also add open up close to $1M in room to spend this summer.

Outgoing Salary: $11,092,040
                  Incoming Salary: $10,100,000

Taking on Lowry ($12M) in such a trade would actually just cost them $1M more than what they send out. Taking on either Lowry or DeRozan would not remove the Knicks from their free agent goals at all.
                  http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

Are they going to dump Calderon in the process?

Keep in mind there aren't a lot of tanking teams right now and those that are don't really have the assets....except Denver that is.

Denver certainly would be a good place for PJax to start his peddling.

But you're probably right. Who do you think they could get? Looking through the all-stars of the last 2 years, I don't think they can get any of them.
                    I'm wondering if Portland doesn't retain Albridge and Matthews. Would they be looking to trade Lillard? Because in the West Portland is kind of screwed. If not then it's free agency for Knicks

Comment

• Sounds like the same thought process used by Philadelphia!
                      And we know how well they are progressing

Comment

• Raptorfanatic wrote: View Post
                        Sounds like the same thought process used by Philadelphia!
                        we just have to wait and see how good Embiid is.

Comment

To answer your final question: who is talking 3 years? That is Colangelo-speak. That is why this team is as handicapped as it currently is. Also, there is no guarantee whatever happens is as good as DD/Lowry/JV. But again, mediocrity is now what we strive for?

If not 3 then how many years ? I can buy into a hard tank that will see us getting top 3-4 draft picks in at least 2-3 years. Those players have a chance to be a star. This type of tanking is 4-5 years minimum.

Comment

• McRealistic wrote: View Post
                            If not 3 then how many years ? I can buy into a hard tank that will see us getting top 3-4 draft picks in at least 2-3 years. Those players have a chance to be a star. This type of tanking is 4-5 years minimum.
                            No more than 6.

Comment

• Raptorfanatic wrote: View Post
                              Sounds like the same thought process used by Philadelphia!
                              Considering they are just 2 years in to their rebuild and 2 of their lotto picks have missed an entire season, another is in Europe, and the other was flipped for another likely lottery pick, I'd they are right on schedule.

They are in asset accumulation mode.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

So many people mock and ridicule them I think they will be serving helpings of humble pie soon enough.

Noel has turned out to be a fantastic piece to build around. He is going to be a defensive force for years.

Comment

• I would go as far as to say this if we do not trade some combo of DD/KL/JV or picks out this offseason, then Philly is closer to making the Finals than we are.
                                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
                                X