No announcement yet.

DeRozan for #5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really think a lot of people are undervaluing DeMar in terms of the return you can get for him.

Cleveland gave up 2 1st round picks for Kevin Love, one of them being the best bet at a superstar we've seen in some time.

The #5 pick and some throw ins to match salary isn't enough for DeMar.
    Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
    Because its 2015

Comment

DeRozan for the #5 would be spectacular for the Raps. I could actually see the Magic doing it as well, as mentioned they already have a ton of guys on rookie deals and look like they wanna fight for a playoff spot

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
        I really think a lot of people are undervaluing DeMar in terms of the return you can get for him.

Cleveland gave up 2 1st round picks for Kevin Love, one of them being the best bet at a superstar we've seen in some time.

The #5 pick and some throw ins to match salary isn't enough for DeMar.
        Kevin Love was on a whole other level than Demar though. Love had the 6th best WAR (wins above replacement) in the entire NBA when that trade was made. Demar's best ever WAR was in 2013-14 where he ranked 98th in the NBA. You shouldn't expect Love-like returns for Derozan. The #5 pick and filler seems like a reasonable return, but I'd be stoked if Masai could do better than that.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
          Kevin Love was on a whole other level than Demar though. Love had the 6th best WAR (wins above replacement) in the entire NBA when that trade was made. Demar's best ever WAR was in 2013-14 where he ranked 98th in the NBA. You shouldn't expect Love-like returns for Derozan. The #5 pick and filler seems like a reasonable return, but I'd be stoked if Masai could do better than that.
          I would be stoked with the #5 as i think the group of Winslow, Porzingis, Cauley-Stein n Hezonja have similar ceilings to that of DeRozan with none of them being anywhere near as ball dominant as DeMar.

Comment

Liberal wrote: View Post
            I would be stoked with the #5 as i think the group of Winslow, Porzingis, Cauley-Stein n Hezonja have similar ceilings to that of DeRozan with none of them being anywhere near as ball dominant as DeMar.
            Also key is the #5 pick is locked up on a cheap deal for 4 years, so even if Derozan is better, the fact he would cost $15M-$20M more than #5 covers that difference in current abilities.

Comment

Also key is the #5 pick is locked up on a cheap deal for 4 years, so even if Derozan is better, the fact he would cost $15M-$20M more than #5 covers that difference in current abilities.
              :-) you damn right! Not too mention i really dont think DeRozan is worth more than $10M per even in the new cap. He needs a smaller role to be on a successful team.

Comment

This also makes the case as to why Orlando shouldn't do it. Sure, they have 7-8 players on rookies deals. But there's no reason they couldn't trade away the 3-4 who they think aren't keepers (Fournier, Harkless, Nicholson) packaged with 2nd rounders or something and get a player similar to DD (who isn't due a raise after 1 season) and keep the #5 pick.

I just think it would be a stupid trade for them.
                Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post
                  This also makes the case as to why Orlando shouldn't do it. Sure, they have 7-8 players on rookies deals. But there's no reason they couldn't trade away the 3-4 who they think aren't keepers (Fournier, Harkless, Nicholson) packaged with 2nd rounders or something and get a player similar to DD (who isn't due a raise after 1 season) and keep the #5 pick.

But is Orlando a team that might do something stupid? I mean, they did sign Ben Gordon as a free agent last year

Comment

To what was essentially a one year deal to soak up bench minutes.

Hey if Orlando wants to do something dumb go ahead. But that seems to be the basis for a lot of theoretical Raptor trades.
                    Two beer away from being two beers away.

Comment

RepTdot wrote: View Post
                      ...would love to see Orlando's fans response to the Idea of getting DeRozan
                      I am a Magic fan. Lived there for a while before moving to CAN. I would definitely do #5 for DeRozan. We need an established player who can score. We have a very good defensive squad and a couple spot up guys but we need someone who can create their own shots. A backcourt of Elfrid, Oladipo defense and DeMar on the wing shooting mid range would be deadly.

How about #5 and Nicholson for DeRozan (if were getting greedy also Patrick Patterson)? Nicholson comes home and we get the headcase off of our backs.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        But is Orlando a team that might do something stupid? I mean, they did sign Ben Gordon as a free agent last year
                        There was nothing stupid about the Ben Gordon signing.

They signed him to a 2yr deal for 4.5M per year. Obviously the plan was, if he played well off the bench they could flip him to a contender for a pick or young prospect this upcoming season (2015-16) as a cheap expiring. If not, well... he just comes off the books next year. Also allowed them to hit the cap floor I believe.

As for the DeRozan for #5. Not happening. Why would Orlando want DeRozan when they already have Oladipo at the 2 spot? No point dealing a #5 pick to create a controversy at a position that is already pretty well set for the future.

Comment

JWash wrote: View Post
                          There was nothing stupid about the Ben Gordon signing.

They signed him to a 2yr deal for 4.5M per year. Obviously the plan was, if he played well off the bench they could flip him to a contender for a pick or young prospect this upcoming season (2015-16) as a cheap expiring. If not, well... he just comes off the books next year. Also allowed them to hit the cap floor I believe.

As for the DeRozan for #5. Not happening. Why would Orlando want DeRozan when they already have Oladipo at the 2 spot? No point dealing a #5 pick to create a controversy at a position that is already pretty well set for the future.
                          No, it was stupid.

Why was it stupid? Because he's an NBA player who has been nothing but a negative for the previous two teams he played for before Orlando signed him. Detroit and Charlotte, two teams with a fair amount of youth in his stints with them, did all they could to get rid of him. And they had a really hard time, because he has basically no trade value. Meanwhile, you're giving minutes to a guy whose last team asked him to basically stay away so that he wouldn't negatively impact chemistry. And with a young team, why would you want that kind of guy around? Just on the off chance that you need 4.5M in filler?

Terrible signing. If you're going to make that kind of deal, don't see why you'd risk it on a potentially toxic player like Gordon. At least go after a high character vet.

Comment

BreakingBradStevens wrote: View Post
                            I am a Magic fan. Lived there for a while before moving to CAN. I would definitely do #5 for DeRozan. We need an established player who can score. We have a very good defensive squad and a couple spot up guys but we need someone who can create their own shots. A backcourt of Elfrid, Oladipo defense and DeMar on the wing shooting mid range would be deadly.

How about #5 and Nicholson for DeRozan (if were getting greedy also Patrick Patterson)? Nicholson comes home and we get the headcase off of our backs.
                            If DeMar and Pat are going out, we better be getting a shitload more than just #5 and Nicholson (who might not even belong in the league).

Comment

BreakingBradStevens wrote: View Post

well i'd say DeRozan & Ross for #5, Nicholson and S&T Harris still is the only viable trade with Orlando, so basically Derozan would be replacing Harris at the 3 (getting an All-Star back for someone leaving) with Ross off the bench for Nicholson (on the verge on getting cut anyway) and Orlando is just giving up their #5 lottery pick.

in theory I like it although in reality its not happening

Comment

Mess wrote: View Post

Nicely said. I don't think Orlando thinks that they can compete seriously this year so why give away such a big asset for one year rental. They can ride this team for another year and when the big FA of 2016 happens, they have ton of young talent and cap space to go after S&Ts and FAs ...

DD is not a type of player that would move the needle for this team. We know he is not a #1 option in a play off wining team. I don't know, I just don't see it.

Comment

Working...
                                X