Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Demar Trade Options Your Thoughts (Front Page)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
    Yeah he tore his Achilles which is why he won't get a big fat new contract. And you say he's in a tier just below all-star but he's a great defender that can shoot the 3, post up, distribute and doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective. That's pretty much exactly what we need. Wes Matthews and a healthy Lowry in the back court is way better and works way better than Kyle and DeMar.

I know there is risk in going after an injured player (don't know how he will heal and how long it will take) but in my mind he's worth taking a risk on.
    I don't think you get him at a discount. If he's being low-balled, I see him signing a one year deal (or something like one plus a player option) so he can re-enter free agency next summer, when tons of teams will have money with the cap going up. To get him on a multi-year deal, basically think you're going to have to ignore the injury. He's looking for what could be the only huge contract of his career, after all.

He is good at all those things, but the achilles is something that could linger, which is not uncommon and a main reason it's considered arguably the worst injury in sports (at least running sports). It will impact his game on both ends if it does. And he's not getting any younger. Not that he's old, but younger is usually better when you're hoping something will fully heal.

Comment

I don't even have a big problem with getting Matthews in terms of his game. he's a great player.

But between his injury issues and his age, I'm not sure how good it is for building this team up to get to a higher level than they are now. He'll be 29 and so will Lowry, and JV will then basically be our only young piece. You better have other moves lined up to make us an immediate contender, because otherwise you're not really extending it's window to build one or raising the ceiling really with just that move.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        I don't even have a big problem with getting Matthews in terms of his game. he's a great player.

But between his injury issues and his age, I'm not sure how good it is for building this team up to get to a higher level than they are now. He'll be 29 and so will Lowry, and JV will then basically be our only young piece. You better have other moves lined up to make us an immediate contender, because otherwise you're not really extending it's window to build one or raising the ceiling really with just that move.
        So you sign him to a 2 year deal with a player or team option, depending on what the deal is for.

You'll get a younger piece by trading DeMar for a draft pick or young developing player.
        Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
        Because its 2015

Comment

So you sign him to a 2 year deal with a player or team option, depending on what the deal is for.

You'll get a younger piece by trading DeMar for a draft pick or young developing player.
          Yes, but there's obviously no guarantee DeMar's return will be an elite talent that can raise the team's ceiling. And then you will have young, non-star pieces, and aging non-star pieces.

I'd rather trade DeMar for a proven vet all-star (even if it takes sweetener) who can make us better now if we're aiming to be better in the next 2-3 years (and I don't see what that trade could be). Or just trade both DeMar and Kyle to go full on youth movement. That in-between ground is tricky, especially since we lack a franchise player...or you know, a real identity of any kind as a team.

Comment

Yes, but there's obviously no guarantee DeMar's return will be an elite talent that can raise the team's ceiling. And then you will have young, non-star pieces, and aging non-star pieces.

I'd rather trade DeMar for a proven vet all-star (even if it takes sweetener) who can make us better now if we're aiming to be better in the next 2-3 years (and I don't see what that trade could be). Or just trade both DeMar and Kyle to go full on youth movement. That in-between ground is tricky, especially since we lack a franchise player...or you know, a real identity of any kind as a team.
            A proven vet all star is hard to get and expensive. I'd lose my shit if we somehow got Middleton and Matthews. It's a pipe dream but hot damn.

KL
            Matthews
            Middleton
            PPat
            JV
            Because its 2015

Comment

A proven vet all star is hard to get and expensive. I'd lose my shit if we somehow got Middleton and Matthews. It's a pipe dream but hot damn.

KL
              Matthews
              Middleton
              PPat
              JV
              Of course they're hard to get, but the idea is to try and avoid becoming a treadmill team. Signing mid-tier free agents (probably at overpays), and drafting in the late 1st round is a difficult way to move out of being a treadmill team.

Comment

Of course they're hard to get, but the idea is to try and avoid becoming a treadmill team. Signing mid-tier free agents (probably at overpays), and drafting in the late 1st round is a difficult way to move out of being a treadmill team.
                I wouldn't call Middleton a mid-tier free agent he's more than that. Matthews might be coming off the injury but the raptors have one of the best medical staffs in the league.
                Because its 2015

Comment

As much as I would like to have Middleton and Matthews...having those guys on the wings will still not make us a contending team.

And, if I'm Matthews...why would I leave Portland for the Raptors?

FA is a joke...stay away from it for major signings

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
                    As much as I would like to have Middleton and Matthews...having those guys on the wings will still not make us a contending team.

You'd leave Portland if LMA leaves because that team will implode.

I don't think FA is a joke, it's a joke if you over pay on long term deals but that's not always the case.
                    Because its 2015

Comment

there's been a couple articles about players in the west coming to the east because it's easier to get to/deeper into the playoffs

just sayin'
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Tell that to Atlanta, who signed Milsap, Carroll, Korver, and Thefolosha in FA, which got them to the ECF. 3 out of 5 starters and 6th man from free agency. Key bench pieces in Bazemore and Antic too. You can build through FA if you have a great GM.
                        Last edited by Primer; Tue Jun 2, 2015, 04:27 PM.

Comment

It's great you call him Zazar.
                          I just realized its Zarar

Comment

From the guys mentioned in this thread, how many of them were top 5 draft picks ?

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                              Tell that to Atlanta, who signed Milsap, Carroll, Korver, and Thefolosha in FA, which got them to the ECF. 3 out of 5 starters and 6th man from free agency. Key bench pieces in Bazemore and Antic too. You can build through FA if you have a great GM.
                              Atlanta is a good destination

Raptors are not

Comment

Atlanta is a good destination

Raptors are not
                                How so? Atlanta was a treadmill poster child when they made those signings that Primer mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                                X