Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puffer wrote: View Post
    "Where is your argument now Ch1s1anL?? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!"
    First off very mature. Second when did I single out JV? I said the frontcourt was out rebounded and out classed. I should know by now that everything lead back to the golden boy.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
      This team did live or die by our guards. That's why the Wiz game plan was to take the ball out of our guards hands. They basically said if JV/Amir/2pat/hansbrough beats us were live with that. Great game plan cause we don't have any play makers in the frontcourt. Which was no secret. That why there so many talks and rumours about Taj Gibson and David West around the trade deadline. We have great bigs when it come to catch and finishing but, if you put them in a situation when they have to make a play. That's when we get in trouble.
      The narrative of the "analysis" you and this writer are pushing makes no sense though.

Make other guys beat them? How would you define that strategy? I think 99% of people would say the crux of it is getting the ball OUT of certain players' hands and INTO other players' hands. In this case, out of our guards, like DD, GV, Lou, Lowry (you know, when he wasn't on the bench), and into the hands of our other guys, mostly bigs and Ross. Going to ignore JJ since he barely played.

So lets look at FGAs and USG, reg season vs playoffs for the bigs and Ross who generally don't have the ball in their hands as much.

JV....8.2 to 9.5 FGA, 19.1% to 19.3% USG....basically one more shot on pretty much the same usage
      Amir....6.9 to 7.3, 15.7% to 16.6%
      Pat....6.6 to 6.8, 13.1% to 13.5%
      Tyler....2.2 to 1.3, 10.5% to 8.2%
      Ross....9.2 to 7.3, 18.3% to 13.0%

So there was no significant increase for anyone in FGAs or USG%. In other words, it was still the same cast taking most of the shots and usage. The only person whose FGAs went up by a decent margin was DeMar, and actually on slightly less usage.

So the closest you and this writer are to any kind of truth is more that Washington made it really hard for our main guys, and they didn't try and/or didn't have a strategy to get others involved. If Washington's strategy was to "make other guys" beat them, then the Raptors response was to not even bother trying. Thus instead of trying to move the ball to open guys and have other guys (bigs + Ross) have to make shots, the same guys (DD, Lowry, Lou, GV) just held the ball and made worse plays.

*And while many defend DD because he was our "best" player in the playoffs, it's not like he played very well. Despite his 3% being higher than ever, he was less efficient on offence. Despite picking up his rebounding and passing, he still monopolized the offence a lot (averaged 20 pts on 20 shots). We can't play an ISO-heavy system with players who lack the talent to dominate (what it takes in the playoffs) in isolation. It's just stupid.
      Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed Jun 3, 2015, 11:44 AM.

Comment

When do teams start bringing in players for private show cases, interviews etc.?

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
          First off very mature. Second when did I single out JV? I said the frontcourt was out rebounded and out classed. I should know by now that everything lead back to the golden boy.
          The team was out-rebounded. The team was out-classed.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            The narrative of the "analysis" you and this writer are pushing makes no sense though.

Make other guys beat them? How would you define that strategy? I think 99% of people would say the crux of it is getting the ball OUT of certain players' hands and INTO other players' hands. In this case, out of our guards, like DD, GV, Lou, Lowry (you know, when he wasn't on the bench), and into the hands of our other guys, mostly bigs and Ross. Going to ignore JJ since he barely played.

So lets look at FGAs and USG, reg season vs playoffs for the bigs and Ross who generally don't have the ball in their hands as much.

JV....8.2 to 9.5 FGA, 19.1% to 19.3% USG....basically one more shot on pretty much the same usage
            Amir....6.9 to 7.3, 15.7% to 16.6%
            Pat....6.6 to 6.8, 13.1% to 13.5%
            Tyler....2.2 to 1.3, 10.5% to 8.2%
            Ross....9.2 to 7.3, 18.3% to 13.0%

So there was no significant increase for anyone in FGAs or USG%. In other words, it was still the same cast taking most of the shots and usage. The only person whose FGAs went up by a decent margin was DeMar, and actually on slightly less usage.

So the closest you and this writer are to any kind of truth is more that Washington made it really hard for our main guys, and they didn't try and/or didn't have a strategy to get others involved. If Washington's strategy was to "make other guys" beat them, then the Raptors response was to not even bother trying. Thus instead of trying to move the ball to open guys and have other guys (bigs + Ross) have to make shots, the same guys (DD, Lowry, Lou, GV) just held the ball and made worse plays.

*And while many defend DD because he was our "best" player in the playoffs, it's not like he played very well. Despite his 3% being higher than ever, he was less efficient on offence. Despite picking up his rebounding and passing, he still monopolized the offence a lot (averaged 20 pts on 20 shots). We can't play an ISO-heavy system with players who lack the talent to dominate (what it takes in the playoffs) in isolation. It's just stupid.
            #ShotsWeNormallyMake
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Arguing that JV isn't slow, or isn't late most the time is ridiculous. Arguing he has good defensive awareness....mmmmm nope, doesn't work.

He's a healthy, 7 foot man, him grabbing 9 boards it pretty much expected, not something to comment him for.

Kid needs to get better, period. If not, he's gotta goooooo

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                Arguing that JV isn't slow, or isn't late most the time is ridiculous. Arguing he has good defensive awareness....mmmmm nope, doesn't work.

He's a healthy, 7 foot man, him grabbing 9 boards it pretty much expected, not something to comment him for.

I don't think the debate is around the fact that he's often late helping, but rather around why he's late helping (or why he seems to need to help on every possession). Though quite often he wasn't late, so much as he was facing a 2-on-1 from inside the key.

I think even the biggest JV supporter would agree that he still has tons of room for improvement. However, I think that speaks more to his ceiling than it does his current shortcomings.

There's something to be said about 'fit' between personnel and systems, and I can't see how anybody can objectively argue that the current defensive system the Raptors employ is designed to play to JV's strengths. Whether you keep the player, keep the coach, or keep both and change the system... well that's the interesting question moving forward.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post

Well, only 17 players in the entire league averaged 9 rebounds per game this year.

And every player needs to get better. If Lowry or DD don't get better, they need to go too. Of course he needs to get better. And there is no reason to think he won't - he's gotten much better every year.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                  X