New Assistant Coach rumours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post
    Mike Malone just got hired as the new Nugget's head coach.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources...174036769.html

One more possible assistant (or replacement head coach) off the table.
    Wow that came out of nowhere.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      Yeah, at this point I'm not sure any coach in their right mind would join the team. As S.R. mentioned, no one wants to come coach under a lame duck coach....And I'm sure it makes it extra bad that Casey will probably be on the hot seat from the tip of the season, since there were visible flaws all season last year that were never adjusted. It's a messy situation. Pretty much just guys desperate for a job would come here.
      Really? You get called up to the big leagues and you think people would be declining it? I mean some of these guys may never have the opportunity to get their "foot in the door" ever again. I could think they are desperate to get an interview for the job much less the job itself.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
        Really? You get called up to the big leagues and you think people would be declining it? I mean some of these guys may never have the opportunity to get their "foot in the door" ever again. I could think they are desperate to get an interview for the job much less the job itself.
        Not everyone's coming in with the same ability, qualifications and potential. If I'm pegged as one of the sexy, sharp up-and-coming assistants, you're damn right I'm staying away from an organization that:

- Deployed archaic offensive AND defensive systems this past year.

- Is making a routine of firing ACs.

- Already drove one well-regarded AC to quit.

- Has a hard-headed alpha dog star player who gave a pretty transparent vote-of-no-confidence to the head coach at exit interviews.

We'll be selecting from the dregs.
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• JimiCliff wrote: View Post
          Not everyone's coming in with the same ability, qualifications and potential. If I'm pegged as one of the sexy, sharp up-and-coming assistants, you're damn right I'm staying away from an organization that:

- Deployed archaic offensive AND defensive systems this past year.

- Is making a routine of firing ACs.

- Already drove one well-regarded AC to quit.

- Has a hard-headed alpha dog star player who gave a pretty transparent vote-of-no-confidence to the head coach at exit interviews.

We'll be selecting from the dregs.

The Brad Stevens' are waiting for HC offers, not AC offers. The rest are trying to get their foot in the door and will jump on an offer.

AC's get fired or let go all the time, it's not something that happens just with the Raptors. This franchise is not in some sort of massive disaray as what some fans may think. We are, to the contrary doing quite well and regarded as a great organization to work for imo.

Comment

I didn't specify type of coach. Guys looking to get their foot in the door are desperate. Desperate for their first opportunity.

But for assistant coach spots? Who has been linked to the Raptors (regardless of truth to rumours)? All the "good" names have been established pro coaches, be it as a head or assistant coach. And everybody seems to passing on Toronto.

Any head coach in pretty much any decent pro league here or in Europe would just not care to be put in the terrible situation Toronto looks to be from a coaching staff perspective. Same goes for most NCAA div 1 head coaches. Those college jobs are pretty sweet. Any assistant coach from the NBA (ie someone who's already gotten through the door) wouldn't want the uncertainty and potential instability in the situation either.

So we lost 2 long-time NBA assistant coaches who are both, from what I can tell, fairly well respected around the league, and we can't attract guys with comparable resumes. I'm sure they'll find a couple of guys, but the search is looking pretty bad right now. You can tell that just by Stackhouse's name coming up. Obviously you never know if a guy will prove himself...but a egotistical volume scorer who was very inconsistent through his whole career doesn't scream "good coach".

Comment

The Brad Stevens' are waiting for HC offers, not AC offers. The rest are trying to get their foot in the door and will jump on an offer.

AC's get fired or let go all the time, it's not something that happens just with the Raptors. This franchise is not in some sort of massive disaray as what some fans may think. We are, to the contrary doing quite well and regarded as a great organization to work for imo.
              I think the more macro situation of the franchise is good, but the micro situation of the coaching staff is not. I'm sure lots of guys would like to work for Toronto at the moment in a general, but at the moment, many will be wary of the coaching situation if that's their area.

Guys who want to get their foot in the door, even those desperate guys, will still be more reluctant to come to a situation like ours than one with more stability. You don't want to get your foot in the door only to have to go through essentially the same process the next summer.

Comment

I can't recall ever hearing about a franchise parting ways with two sets of assistants, all of whom served under the same coach, in a span of two years.
                "Stop eating your sushi."
                "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                - Jack Armstrong

Comment

• Could it be possible that Stackhouse may have also declined? As someone else mentioned Casey's contract situation definitely plays into the calc for potential seekers.

C'mon Masai extend Casey.

Comment

• this will be a wasted year if we don't blow up the core (that is, Lowry and Derozan) at this point.

Comment

• Bring back Eric Hughes and Micah Nori LOOOOL!

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                        this will be a wasted year if we don't blow up the core (that is, Lowry and Derozan) at this point.
                        There is nothing more to say.

Comment

Maybe, everyone's got their reasons and every situation is different. Maybe you get the offer and you phone up Bill Bayno and he says, 'don't take that job' and you listen. Maybe you look at Casey as being on the hot seat and don't want to leave your current secure job for a new one that may only last a year. Maybe you don't like living in Toronto. Could be lots of reasons.

Also, generally speaking, hiring people who are desperate just to get the interview, let alone the job, means you aren't hiring anyone who is any good.

Comment

• Just a quick link to the RR article about Sergio Scariolo, the Spanish national team head coach who also turned us down.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                              Maybe, everyone's got their reasons and every situation is different. Maybe you get the offer and you phone up Bill Bayno and he says, 'don't take that job' and you listen. Maybe you look at Casey as being on the hot seat and don't want to leave your current secure job for a new one that may only last a year. Maybe you don't like living in Toronto. Could be lots of reasons.

Also, generally speaking, hiring people who are desperate just to get the interview, let alone the job, means you aren't hiring anyone who is any good.
                              +1

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                                There is nothing more to say.
                                The more I read/see people bringing up re-tread names, the more and more I want a full blow up. Just not sure it's coming since they brought Casey back. Then again, he's a perfect lame-duck coach to be canned once they go super young. Either way, there's almost no way he survives the upcoming season.

The players names I'm seeing bandied about just don't cut it for me, so I'd prefer going all-out with prospects and draft choices. Reminds me of the way a certain rival GM I know is trying to build their team.

Comment

Working...
                                X