Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Bebe have Rudy Gobert-like potential?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Bebe have Rudy Gobert-like potential?

Ok, it's getting into the dog days of the off-season. Not much to talk about and the same old tired debates going back and forth. So, here's something perhaps worth discussing.

One of the biggest stories of last season was the stunning and rapid development of Rudy Gobert into an elite defender. His combination of physical tools and quickness turned around Utah's season - I believe Utah was a top 3 defensive team after the all-star break, or something like that. It was surprising because Gobert was extremely raw when he was drafted. Looking at the Draftexpress profiles, you see that Bebe has similar physical tools and quickness... Gobert is taller, yes, but Bebe makes up for that with his hair (... just checking if anybody's still reading this.)

Anyways, I know that the first comment will be that playing under Dwane Casey is the worst place for a young player to develop, but it would be a shame to see a player like Bebe, who seems to be well suited for the way the NBA is changing go to waste. What would it take for him to realize his potential? Does he have attitude issues? The other question is: why did the light go on for Gobert, when he came into the league with so little experience

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...Nogueira-5957/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Rudy-Gobert-5878/

I think Bebe needs to have nice long stint with our new D league team. I think the chance to have a regular role with a team and the feeling of being valuable will make a big difference.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Bebe isn't as long as Gobert is (7 foot versus Gobert's 7'2", 7'6" wingspan versus Gobert's 7'9"), and although those few inches don't seem like a lot, they make a huge difference.

As for Gobert versus Bebe in terms of playskill, Bebe needs to harden up significantly. Gobert's issue was never toughness, it was lack of coordination. Bebe is the opposite.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
        ..and although those few inches don't seem like a lot, they make a huge difference.
        ahem....that's what she said
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

bebe always looks so utterly lost and stiff out there, i honestly wonder if he'll ever be a rotational player at best. having Casey as his coach doesn't help either.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            bebe always looks so utterly lost and stiff out there, i honestly wonder if he'll ever be a rotational player at best. having Casey as his coach doesn't help either.
            "Always"? You mean in his six 4 minute appearances last season?

also, OP- nitpicking but this is far from the dog days. Playoffs are still ongoing and we played 6 weeks ago. You think this is bad, wait till early september. That's when withdrawals peak.
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
              "Always"? You mean in his six 4 minute appearances last season?

also, OP- nitpicking but this is far from the dog days. Playoffs are still ongoing and we played 6 weeks ago. You think this is bad, wait till early september. That's when withdrawals peak.
              summer league as well, but yeah, point taken.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I don't look at Bebe and think, there's a high iq player.
                I'll be happy if he can be a solid bench big, energy guy with a decent mid range(looks like they want him to shoot it while in the limited minutes)

Comment

Bebe has all the makings of a good rebounder and shot blocker. He just needs some minutes. Here's hoping we don't bring in anyone else at backup C so Casey has to play him. Bebe killed it in the DLeague so I'm not sure a stint there would make a big difference.

Basically, I think we'll be a mediocre team (40-50 wins) whether we play Bebe or someone different at backup C, so we might as well develop the young guy on a rookie deal.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                    Bebe isn't as long as Gobert is (7 foot versus Gobert's 7'2", 7'6" wingspan versus Gobert's 7'9"), and although those few inches don't seem like a lot, they make a huge difference.

As for Gobert versus Bebe in terms of playskill, Bebe needs to harden up significantly. Gobert's issue was never toughness, it was lack of coordination. Bebe is the opposite.
                    Interesting points. I'm not really sure how much to trust those Draftexpress measurements, though. Rudy is 2 inches taller with an additional 2 inches in wingspan, yet Bebe has almost the same standing reach 9-7 vs. 9-6?? Does this mean that Rudy has Bosh-like longer neck? lol.

And do those few inches really make that much difference in performance? (cue the punchline). 2 players similar to Bebe would be John Henson and Clint Capela - both of whom are shorter with less wingspan and standing reach than Bebe, yet Capela and Henson put up even better BLK% numbers than Gobert last year. I think the toughness issue you mentioned makes more sense than the physical tools, as well as the terrible environment for developing young players BBIQ that exists on the Raps.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/John-Henson-5236/

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Clint-Capela-6359/
                    Last edited by golden; Mon Jun 15, 2015, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                      Bebe has all the makings of a good rebounder and shot blocker. He just needs some minutes. Here's hoping we don't bring in anyone else at backup C so Casey has to play him. Bebe killed it in the DLeague so I'm not sure a stint there would make a big difference.

Basically, I think we'll be a mediocre team (40-50 wins) whether we play Bebe or someone different at backup C, so we might as well develop the young guy on a rookie deal.
                      I don't think we can say he killed it, he put up 8 points and 10 boards over 4 games shooting a pretty low 43% from the filed. Her did show flashes, but it was a small sample and inconsistent at best.
                      Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Depends if he stays with the raptors. With us, he could be the 4th big. With another team, could be an all star.

Comment

slow down lool
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

Totally just going to quote my own post in from a similar thread this season:

Axel wrote: View Post
                            I think people are dismissing Bebe because we got him so cheap from Atlanta (essentially a throw in on a salary dump), but he was drafted 16th in 2013. Not exactly some random scrub. (It's funny that Gobert's name gets used since he was picked 27th in the same draft.)

DraftNet had him scored as a 94 overall player (based on skill scores for everything from athleticism (9), to NBA ready). He was projected to go 16th, but was 9th on their big board and 4th for positional rank.

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/lucas-nogueira

They had his NBA comparison as Joakim Noah/Samual Dalembert

"Strengths: A project, but one with loads of untapped potential ... His game has made some noticeable strides over the past 6 months ... A high level athlete even by NBA standards with ridiculous size/length at 7' feet, with a 7'6 wingspan. His combination of length and fluidity/athleticism makes him an extremely intriguing prospect ... Quick reflexes ... He even shows some touch around the basket and a decent offensive feel. While not much of an outside threat, his midrange game shows some ability and potential to develop ... He's best at scoring on garbage baskets and can get out on the break and finish ... Seems to understand what he does well offensively and stays "within himself" ... Solid rebounder. Goes after the ball on both ends and although his positioning could improve, he's got natural rebounding abilities ... Quick feet. From Brazil, and his footwork is excellent, a "futball" upbringing has given him excellent foot dexterity. Able to slide his feet laterally better than the average 7-footer ... Solid hands. A 60% free throw shooter, which is not great but good for his age and position and should improve ... As the 2012-13 season has progressed, his defense has shown some improvement."

DraftExpress has his Best Case: Marcus Camby and his Worst Case: Hassan Whiteside (obviously pre-Miami Whiteside).

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...Nogueira-5957/

I'll close with the most promising aspect of the DraftExpress profile that hasn't been touched on already:

"To his credit, Bebe made significant and very noticeable strides in virtually every area as the season moved on, improving week by week seemingly, even if he wasn't always rewarded for it with additional playing time. His feel for the game has undoubtedly improved, as has his focus-level, effort, and commitment to playing solid basketball on every possession. There is clearly a great deal of physical potential and talent to work with here, and he's definitely still getting better at this stage."

The bold is important for a young guy playing under Casey.

The guy will improve and I think he could be the back-up C next season (we'd need a 3rd big in the rotation cause Bebe will foul a lot at first, like many shot blocking bigs do).
                            http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...-be-good/page2
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I just don't see DC playing Bebe. Garbage time only. The D-League is where he needs to be next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X