Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how have the Raptors prepared for Thursday night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how have the Raptors prepared for Thursday night?

From Dan Tolzman, director of scouting:

On it Ujiri, Tolzman, and the staff have arranged (and rearranged) the names of each draft-eligible player grouped in tiers. A line separates each tier, “and above that line we’ll rank guys based on talent and team need. Below the line we’ll do the same.”

The idea, Tolzman says, is to only target players above a line, or in the highest tier possible, meaning don’t expect the Raptors to necessarily draft for need on Thursday.

“As players come off the board we’ll try not to go below a line to draft for need. If, say, we have four small forwards already and our best player available in Tier 2 is a small forward, we’re going to take that guy. We’re not going to reach into Tier 3 if we don’t need to.”

“All that work from the last months… We drew these lines to create our tiers after so many hours of conversation,” Tolzman says. “There’s a reason we have these guys in groups: Sometimes talent outweighs the team need. You keep building that depth because you never know what your roster will look like a few months from now. If you’re deep with talent it’ll work out.”

This is shaping up to be one of the least predictable drafts in years, it’s outcome in flux like names on a board. The Raptors are hoping their preparation will help keep them above the line.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/basketball/n...utweighs-need/
    This is most definitely likely to be most unpredictable draft in years. Not only from picks but from trades. I can't wait.

so anti-Colangelo
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I haven't been quite this excited for a draft in a while, and it sounds like I can get on board with their drafting mentality. I like that system.

I'm excited for some of the names that might be on the board still when 20 comes around, could end up being a good year at the draft

Comment

Colangelo strategy:

"Basically we'll have our eyes on two or threes players, and if they're all gone, we'll stop giving a fuck, and I guess let the coach pick."
        "Stop eating your sushi."
        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Very interesting approach to drafting, and I like it.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
            Colangelo strategy:

"Basically we'll have our eyes on two or threes players, and if they're all gone, we'll stop giving a fuck, and I guess let the coach pick."
            Enough time has passed that I laughed out loud at this.

Comment

Great to see Masai still knows what he's doing! Masai still knows what he's doing, right guys?
              "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                Great to see Masai still knows what he's doing! Masai still knows what he's doing, right guys?
                Great question for Friday morning!

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

This is most definitely likely to be most unpredictable draft in years. Not only from picks but from trades. I can't wait.
                  Good because I don't think a team should ever draft based on need (unless there's tie on their draft board). I mean otherwise you see guys like Hoffa going before Iguodala...

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post

I didn't see the words Caliper Test used anywhere, so that's a relief. But then again, we drafted Ross over Drummond partly because Casey was high on Ross' character and BC thought Drummond had "mental makeup" issues, so who knows?

If anybody doesn't believe that the draft is one gigantic crapshoot, please read this one again .... and weep

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...ndre-drummond/

There’s a checklist: talent, physical tools, basketball IQ, how they perform, how we anticipate they’ll perform. Character. Emotional make-up. Marketability. Each component is part of the process. The toughest is what’s inside a player. You can’t see the heart, the emotional aspect of things.

Picking eighth, I passed on somebody I consider a top-five talent in the draft because we felt like he didn’t have the right mental makeup. I passed on someone we thought was a top-three physical specimen because we felt he wasn’t the right fit for our team and didn’t have the right mental makeup.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      Good because I don't think a team should ever draft based on need (unless there's tie on their draft board). I mean otherwise you see guys like Hoffa going before Iguodala...
                      Ross over Drummond just cause we had JV

Now imagine we had both JV and Drummond? We could've traded one for a big return.
                      "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

MACK11 wrote: View Post
                        Ross over Drummond just cause we had JV

Now imagine we had both JV and Drummond? We could've traded one for a big return.
                        Colangelo passed on Drummond, not because we had JV, but because he thought Drummond was a head case.

"I passed on somebody I consider a top-five talent in the draft because we felt like he didn’t have the right mental makeup"

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                          I didn't see the words Caliper Test used anywhere, so that's a relief. But then again, we drafted Ross over Drummond partly because Casey was high on Ross' character and BC thought Drummond had "mental makeup" issues, so who knows?

If anybody doesn't believe that the draft is one gigantic crapshoot, please read this one again .... and weep

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.c...ndre-drummond/
                          I'm not sure a guy admitting he passed on a top 5 talent, and a top 3 athlete because of need and "mental make up" (something he bombed on previously... ie. Bargnani and the calipre test) is evidence that the draft is a crap shoot.

Seems more like evidence that the guy making the decisions is extremely important... and some make pretty dumb decisions.

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                            I'm not sure a guy admitting he passed on a top 5 talent, and a top 3 athlete because of need and "mental make up" (something he bombed on previously... ie. Bargnani and the calipre test) is evidence that the draft is a crap shoot.

Seems more like evidence that the guy making the decisions is extremely important... and some make pretty dumb decisions.
                            BC's draft record is really not that bad going back to Phoenix, actually. Probably upper middle of the pack for a GM. That's one thing you can't really slag him on. Even the Bargs draft - that was a hideous draft, talent wise. At least Bargs is still in the league and the only player better than him drafted top 5 who's also still in the league is Aldridge.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                              BC's draft record is really not that bad going back to Phoenix, actually. Probably upper middle of the pack for a GM. That's one thing you can't really slag him on. Even the Bargs draft - that was a hideous draft, talent wise. At least Bargs is still in the league and the only player better than him drafted top 5 who's also still in the league is Aldridge.
                              I can't say I agree on his draft record... in Phoenix he had his dad to hold his hand, in Toronto it was horrific. But I'm not here to debate that.

Its more about his comment vs the state of the draft. I find it a stretch to correlate a guy admitting he past on a better player with the draft being a crap shoot. If anything its shows how much a poor decision (whether the guy is a good decision maker or not) creates the appearance of uncertainty.

Comment

Working...
                              X