Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai : "I've made a huge mistake" (sort of)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Masai hasn't tipped his hand, but is he ready to blow it up?

Interesting tidbit from latest Sheridan Hoops Mock Draft. Makes sense to me that he'd feel this way. Could make for an exciting draft or July at the very least

"According to several executives I spoke with, the Toronto Raptors are actively exploring trades for All-Star guard Kyle Lowry, former All-Star DeMar DeRozan and even Jonas Valanciunas, who is up for an extension this summer. According to these sources, Raptors GM Masai Ujiri wants to blow up this roster because he believes it has reached its ceiling, even in the weak East."

Read more at http://www.sheridanhoops.com/2015/06...sZPgIGQ1zKt.99
    Ball Don't Lie

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
      Ok but here's the thing that stats dont show.
      put a guy on the floor, let him jack it up, and basically move away from running the offence they way its suppose to be run. Yes, he gets hot often and hits shots, but whats the effect that has on the team as a whole past the minute effect of momentary statistical gain?

You have a center who is trying to improve, but doesnt see the ball. You have guys like PPAT that need touches to get going if they are to be options down the stretch when it counts. You have T-Ross, another spot up shooter that absolutely needs clean looks in the flow of offence to get hot...... if this isn't happening, you can feel the game getting away, because the way a guy like Sweet Lou i splaying is killing the flow of the game for everyone else.

Is he a bad guy? Fuck no. But is his style of play what you need moving forward if youre tryin gto build a balanced and effective offence? Nooope
      So I decided to take a stab at a few of these things.

Jonas w/out Lou vs with

Ortg 1.080 vs 1.115
      usage 20.4 vs 19.4

PP w/out Lou vs with

Ortg 1.140 vs 1.165
      Usage 13.3 vs 13.7

Ross w/out Lou vs with

Ortg 1.140 vs 1.165
      TS% 51.9 vs 51.2
      eFG% 50.6 vs 50.5

So what can we make of this vs the bolded?

1. Lou takes very, very few possessions away from Val (Val spent less than 1/3 of his time on the floor with Lou)

2. PP actually gets more possession w/Lou

3. Ross is shooting just as well with Lou as without.

As well, all those players have a better ortg with Lou out there (not surprising, since as was stated before, the teams played better with Lou on).

I really don't think Lou is having the negative impact being claimed here.

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
        So I decided to take a stab at a few of these things.

Jonas w/out Lou vs with

Ortg 1.080 vs 1.115
        usage 20.4 vs 19.4

PP w/out Lou vs with

Ortg 1.140 vs 1.165
        Usage 13.3 vs 13.7

Ross w/out Lou vs with

Ortg 1.140 vs 1.165
        TS% 51.9 vs 51.2
        eFG% 50.6 vs 50.5

So what can we make of this vs the bolded?

1. Lou takes very, very few possessions away from Val (Val spent less than 1/3 of his time on the floor with Lou)

2. PP actually gets more possession w/Lou

3. Ross is shooting just as well with Lou as without.

As well, all those players have a better ortg with Lou out there (not surprising, since as was stated before, the teams played better with Lou on).

I really don't think Lou is having the negative impact being claimed here.
        It would be interesting to see those splits as a 2013-14 vs 2014-15 comparison. To me, it felt like the whole mindset of the team became more ISO-oriented this year as compared to the previous season (post-Gay). IMO, the problem wasn't Lou himself, but rather having Lou allowed them to play ISO-style for 48 minutes, which eventually became the identity of the team.

Comment

GarbageTime, be quiet. You're ruining the story that it's all Lou Williams fault and the ISO offence he brought to the team. The fact that the defense couldn't slow down, let alone stop, even the worst NBA offences isn't nearly as big of an issue as Lou Williams taking some bad shots... Go back to your room.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
            It would be interesting to see those splits as a 2013-14 vs 2014-15 comparison. To me, it felt like the whole mindset of the team became more ISO-oriented this year as compared to the previous season (post-Gay). IMO, the problem wasn't Lou himself, but rather having Lou allowed them to play ISO-style for 48 minutes, which eventually became the identity of the team.
            Can't really give those comparisons as Lou wasn't with the team last year. We could look at those players same #s in 2013/14 vs this past year... but that wouldn't give us much in the way of explaining the impact of Lou himself on those players (even ignoring anything else, one would estimate 50% of any change would have nothing to do with Lou ie. the minutes he wasn't on the floor).

Comment

Nothing wrong with having Lou Williams.

He brings a valuable skill set to the team in certain situations.

The problem is the offense was geared towards getting to the line which means taking tough shots or forcing shots.

Specifically to Lou, there really was no better ISO player on the team....it was just overkill - especially at end of quarters.

I don't think Lou is a cancer to the team this season - that is on Casey and the front office for deciding to make the changes they did this off season.

Lou and Vasquez don't see their assist rates drop like they did relative to their career by accident.

Comment

#Please

Comment

holy sweet mother of jesus

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    Nothing wrong with having Lou Williams.

He brings a valuable skill set to the team in certain situations.

The problem is the offense was geared towards getting to the line which means taking tough shots or forcing shots.

Specifically to Lou, there really was no better ISO player on the team....it was just overkill - especially at end of quarters.

I don't think Lou is a cancer to the team this season - that is on Casey and the front office for deciding to make the changes they did this off season.

Lou and Vasquez don't see their assist rates drop like they did relative to their career by accident.
                    It's still crazy to me - Lou's AST per 36 dropped from 5.2 the previous year to 2.9 in Toronto (second lowest mark of his career, after his rookie season), and GV's 5.5 AST per 36 was the lowest of his career. Crazy, these guys were both perpetrators and victims of that flaming shitball of a system. But the ORTG was great! Passes lead to turnovers!
                    "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                      It's still crazy to me - Lou's AST per 36 dropped from 5.2 the previous year to 2.9 in Toronto (second lowest mark of his career, after his rookie season), and GV's 5.5 AST per 36 was the lowest of his career. Crazy, these guys were both perpetrators and victims of that flaming shitball of a system. But the ORTG was great! Passes lead to turnovers!
                      At least Casey has his scape goats.

Comment

Do it, Masai. DO. IT.

Comment

This is how summer. He has 2 full years to evaluate this roster. Casey is now MU's coach and got his stamp of approval.

Tomorrow is a big day and will say a lot about the direction that MU wants to take this team.

If it is a rebuild, it has to be done right which means trading : KL, DD and JV.

If it is adding talent, then we should see him active in trade market this summer starting from tomorrow night.
                          Last edited by McRealistic; Wed Jun 24, 2015, 03:38 PM.

Comment

He might blow it up?! I await to see....

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                              But it was! Third best in the league. So doesn't that mean that, at least on the offensive end, what the team was do was working?

Should also be noted:

Vasquez assist% (according to NBA.com) this past season 24.2%, last season 27.9

Comment

When your offense is held up by two of your top scoreres also leading the league in FTA drawn ON JUMP SHOTS, thepossibility of the offensive effectiveness of those players and the team becomes a statistical outlier which will inevitably revert to the mean and suck.

Ya no offense Lou but this isn't the early 2000's and I have no need for isolation scorers who provide nothing else. He can walk for free. Nice knowing ya

Comment

Working...
                                X