Poeltl & Pascal - The 2016 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Let say Sabonis becomes Scola and Skal becomes Frye. Which one would you rather at PF on this team?

Also if Sabonis reaches his ceilling Raptors are just a ECF team. If Skal reaches his ceilling Raptors are title contenders for years to come.
    In this "Sabonis = Scola, Skal = Frye" scenario, you pick Sabonis because Scola has by far the better career than Frye. Everybody complaining about Scola this year seems to have decided that Scola was always who he was this season, but Scola came to us when he was thirty-five, at the very end of his career - and Scola shot the three better this past season than Frye did (.404 to .387). During Scola's peak years in Houston he was a terrific player, a reliable 15-and-7 power forward with a great jumper, good court vision, decent defense and able to contribute without demanding too many touches. And we'd be getting Sabonis much younger and thus for much longer than anybody had Scola, since Scola played in the Euroloeague well into his prime.

And Sabonis reaching his ceiling is much more likely than Skal reaching his ceiling is.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
      Guess again. Casey was totally on board with Bruno (after Tyler Ennis).

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/...oclo-1.2689403
      Casey isn't going to say that he would of prefered someone else though. As soon as the pick is made as a coach you have back it.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• mjt20mik wrote: View Post
        This draft sucks.. stupid coin flip puts us at 9 instead of 8. Feels like Harison Barnes all over again.
        Nah, I like our options at 9. But I'm not especially interested in Murray.

Even that last coin flip has Drummond in our lap.

Comment

• Skal is a paper champion. He will bust and those high ceiling fantasies will leave the team who takes him empty handed.

Comment

• My guys for the 27th:

1. Brice Johnson/Zubac
            2. Yabusle
            3. Jackson
            4. Stone
            5. Ulis

Comment

• Also like Maker and Bembry. Bembry could play right away but we don't need that right now.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                Casey isn't going to say that he would of prefered someone else though. As soon as the pick is made as a coach you have back it.
                Don't often agree with you, but very much yeah.

What kind of of coach is going to start dissing a pick his GM just made?

Of course he's going to back the pick.
                If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• So this is the GREEN ROOM - since we pick 9th, it will be one of these dudes.

Wade Baldwin, Vanderbilt
                  Dragan Bender, Maccabi Tel Aviv
                  Jaylen Brown, Cal
                  Marquese Chriss, Washington
                  Deyonta Davis, Michigan State
                  Kris Dunn, Providence
                  Henry Ellenson, Marquette
                  Buddy Hield, Oklahoma
                  Brandon Ingram, Duke
                  Skal Labissiere, Kentucky
                  Jamal Murray, Kentucky
                  Jakob Poeltl, Utah
                  Domantas Sabonis, Gonzaga
                  Ben Simmons, LSU

The consensus is Brandon Igram and Ben Simmons are 1 and 2 so take them off the list and we got

Wade Baldwin, Vanderbilt
                  Jaylen Brown, Cal
                  Kris Dunn, Providence
                  Buddy Hield, Oklahoma
                  Jamal Murray, Kentucky
                  Jakob Poeltl, Utah

In most mocks Jamal Murray, Buddy Hield, Dragan Bender and Kris Dunn are off the the board by 5 or 6, so it is safe to assume they won't be there at 9

Wade Baldwin, Vanderbilt
                  Jaylen Brown, Cal
                  Jakob Poeltl, Utah

Knock the guards off the list and that leaves

Jakob Poeltl, Utah

Henry and Jakob are interesting role players but not the likely pick given various deficiencies.

that leaves Sabonis/Skal/Davis and Chriss

Chriss is getting some love near the top of the draft, Skal and Davis are both projects

SO BY PROCESS OF ELIMINATION

With the 9th pick in the 2016 draft the Toronto Raptors select...... Domininator Sabonis

END THREAD
                  For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                    So this is the GREEN ROOM - since we pick 9th, it will be one of these dudes.

Wade Baldwin, Vanderbilt
                    Jaylen Brown, Cal
                    Kris Dunn, Providence
                    Buddy Hield, Oklahoma
                    Brandon Ingram, Duke
                    Jamal Murray, Kentucky
                    Jakob Poeltl, Utah
                    Ben Simmons, LSU

The consensus is Brandon Igram and Ben Simmons are 1 and 2 so take them off the list and we got

Wade Baldwin, Vanderbilt
                    Jaylen Brown, Cal
                    Kris Dunn, Providence
                    Buddy Hield, Oklahoma
                    Jamal Murray, Kentucky
                    Jakob Poeltl, Utah

In most mocks Jamal Murray, Buddy Hield, Dragan Bender and Kris Dunn are off the the board by 5 or 6, so it is safe to assume they won't be there at 9

Wade Baldwin, Vanderbilt
                    Jaylen Brown, Cal
                    Jakob Poeltl, Utah

Knock the guards off the list and that leaves

Jakob Poeltl, Utah

Henry and Jakob are interesting role players but not the likely pick given various deficiencies.

that leaves Sabonis/Skal/Davis and Chriss

Chriss is getting some love near the top of the draft, Skal and Davis are both projects

SO BY PROCESS OF ELIMINATION

With the 9th pick in the 2016 draft the Toronto Raptors select...... Domininator Sabonis

END THREAD
                    Masai laughs and picks Kay Felder #9 just to screw it up

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                      All I'm saying with respect to workouts and Sabonis is that, by all accounts, he's demonstrated a good jumper in them. At Gonzaga he worked the post game because most of the rest of the team - and particularly Kyle Wiltjer playing starting power forward - were better shooting from distance. That doesn't mean Sabonis can't shoot, it just means he was playing in the manner that benefited his team most.

(He only took 14 three point attempts during the season, but when he did he made 5 of them - that's .357 on threes. Small sample size, obviously, but there's promise there.)

Workouts obviously don't mean gameplay doesn't matter, and gameplay should be valued more than workouts when weighing a player. But workouts can provide an idea of how well a player does things that he was not called upon to do during his college career.
                      I have always weighted gameplay at a factor of 10:1 when figuring out which kids to take during tryouts. By no means is selecting a pro athelete in an NBA or NHL draft in any way on the same plane as picking out kids for rep teams in minor hockey comparable. Its me and the other guy with coffee for a week trying to watch 50-60 kids on the ice vs a team of incredibly sophisticated talent assessors who have all year to follow prospects and all kinds of film to watch to help arrive at a decision.

I say 10:1 because after our first year of picking out kids there was a whiff of mega proportions picking a kid based on the skill drills we had drawn up. He could skate better than all.. .handle the puck like it was glued to his stick and make passes right on the tape......I didn't pay to much attention to the one on one drills because of the "workouts".

Then came the games. OMG. Not a clue how the game was played. He would just stop at times. Kids with a quarter of his skill would embarrass him. Felt bad for the kid but learned something about workouts/tryouts vs game play.

In games you can see who knows what to do. How to get to the spot first. When to go and when to stay. You don't get that in a workout.
                      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                      - TGO

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                        Don't often agree with you, but very much yeah.

What kind of of coach is going to start dissing a pick his GM just made?

Of course he's going to back the pick.
                        There's a difference between dissing the pick and talking glowingly and effusively, like Casey did about Bruno in many interviews. No coach openly disses the pick, but I don't remember Sam Mitchell pumping up Hoffa, or even Bargs, like this....

“Bruno is an athletic phenomenon,” Head Coach Dwane Casey said. “At 20, you are not going to get a perfect player, but this young man has a chance to hit it big. He is raw, but he going to be a guy that is going to develop in our program and grow and do a lot of things for us. Defensively, he is long, covers a lot of ground, gets down in a stance, block shots with his length. We all went down to see him workout and I was truly impressed with his workout. We are excited about getting him."
                        http://probballreport.com/bruno-cabo...er-mediocrity/

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                          In this "Sabonis = Scola, Skal = Frye" scenario, you pick Sabonis because Scola has by far the better career than Frye. Everybody complaining about Scola this year seems to have decided that Scola was always who he was this season, but Scola came to us when he was thirty-five, at the very end of his career - and Scola shot the three better this past season than Frye did (.404 to .387). During Scola's peak years in Houston he was a terrific player, a reliable 15-and-7 power forward with a great jumper, good court vision, decent defense and able to contribute without demanding too many touches. And we'd be getting Sabonis much younger and thus for much longer than anybody had Scola, since Scola played in the Euroloeague well into his prime.

And Sabonis reaching his ceiling is much more likely than Skal reaching his ceiling is.
                          I would happily get a Scola at no.9, but I think Scola as a likely scenario gets thrown around way too easily for Sabonis. Scola was an absolute overachiever, A+ hustle combined with A+ finesse. Sabonis has the hustle, but he's far behind in everything finesse.

I feel about that comparison a bit like when people compare a high energy defensive SG who can't shoot to Tony Allen, or when people compare a talented athletic skilled 5ft something guy to Iverson or Muggsy Bogues. Those guys succeeded despite serious flaws.. but they needed practically absolute perfection in what they did! If instead of being an A++ god defensively Tony Allen is just a B+, then he's an end of bench role player.

If Sabonis doesn't achieve Scola's fantastic skillset and craftiness, and he's not anywhere close to it right now, then what is he? A better rebounding, more center-ish Darius Songaila? I think that's a more likely outcome.

Comment

• I just know Sacramento is going to reach for a player(Skal, Sabonis, Ellenson). Letting one of the top 8 drop to us. I'm hoping its Jaylen Brown.

Apparently no player in the top 12 would workout for them
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Admittedly having not watched more than some highlights and the dx strength/weakness vids, i like Isaia Cordinier at 27. Great athlete with a good jumper. Very young, recently turned 19 and has a great vision. When he tightens his handle i could see him being a second ball handler as he is a very creative passer. Makes up for lacking wingspan on defense with excellent effort, which makes me think he will reach his somewhat limited defensive potential just through effort. Could leave him in Europe for a year if you wanted as well.

Comment

• BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                                I would happily get a Scola at no.9, but I think Scola as a likely scenario gets thrown around way too easily for Sabonis. Scola was an absolute overachiever, A+ hustle combined with A+ finesse. Sabonis has the hustle, but he's far behind in everything finesse.
                                Yeah, but: Scola entered the league at 27. Sabonis will enter the league at 19. That kind of matters. Finesse in particular is the result of years of play.

Comment

Working...
                                X