Poeltl & Pascal - The 2016 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter N wrote: View Post
    I really hope this doesn't become another Barnes/Ross situation with us missing out on this kid by one pick. He looks so good out there already......damn you ping pong balls!

https://youtu.be/CmdiLYLcwBo
    Thing is, he went for 13/28 and the other Bogdanovic. If Masai really wanted him he was there for the taking.

I'm still not sure what the plan is for another backup C and an energy big like Siakam. At some point we need to consolidate assets to help lift the ceiling of this squad.

Comment

• Letter N wrote: View Post
      I really hope this doesn't become another Barnes/Ross situation with us missing out on this kid by one pick. He looks so good out there already......damn you ping pong balls!

https://youtu.be/CmdiLYLcwBo
      Marquese Chriss is looking real nice in pre-season. Rim protection, highly mobile, distance shooting range, ridiculously athletic. Everything the NBA is looking for in a modern PF.

The Suns got Chriss for a song, really. Pick #13 + Pick #28 + scrub + bunch of 2nd round filler picks. Raps could have easily trumped that package, but he is really young and I think Masai/Casey want more "NBA ready" players like Poeltl and Siakam. He was ranked as high as #2 at one point by DX, leading up to the draft.

Chriss could go down as yet another tragic move by the Sacramento Kings front office.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
        Marquese Chriss is looking real nice in pre-season.Rim protection, highly mobile, distance shooting range, ridiculously athletic. Everything the NBA is looking for in a modern PF.

The Suns got Chriss for a song, really. Pick #13 + Pick #28 + scrub + bunch of 2nd round filler picks. Raps could have easily trumped that package, but he is really young and I think Masai/Casey want more "NBA ready" players like Poeltl and Siakam. He was ranked as high as #2 at one point by DX, leading up to the draft.

Chriss could go down as yet another tragic move by the Sacramento Kings front office.
        We got ours at 27 with Siakam...The Kings could fuck up a two car funeral.
        Last edited by Demographic Shift; Sat Oct 15, 2016, 11:49 AM.
        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
        - TGO

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post
          We got ours at 27 with Siakam...The Kings could fuck up a two car funeral.
          I dunno. At the moment, Chriss does seem to have better shooting mechanics and above-the-rim finishing ability, so it will be interesting to see where they both end up.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
            I dunno. At the moment, Chriss does seem to have better shooting mechanics and above-the-rim finishing ability, so it will be interesting to see where they both end up.
            Chriss was my first pick early when he was ranked 7th then he started moving up in draft projections for known reasons,yes Siakam is looking good so far and might have the edge over Chriss around the basket(rebounding,hustling,put baks...) but i'm not sure Siakam can develop a reliable shot from deep.

Comment

• Chriss does have a higher ceiling than Pascal; he just looks more fluid, more natural shooter and of course his crazy athleticism gives him a potential added level. Chriss is very young and if developed properly he could become an all-star (big IF)....Pascal imo will never be one and that's not an insult to him because he could be a very high level role player which is really all you could ask for of a #27 pick. I said before and I'll say it again but he really looks to be an Amir/Biz hybrid but quicker than either so that's great value to us because we certainly NEED a hustle player filling the lanes and blocking shots. If he can ever get to nailing his jumper with good consistency, he'll make that jump to high level role player.

But it's not really fair to compare a player picked #8 with #27...there's a reason each were picked were they were and technically Chriss wasn't even an option for us so it's not like we "missed out" but you would think we did have an opportunity to trade to be in position. I'm interested to see who we draft in next year's mega draft because since Bruno experiment it seems IBM Watson is electing to go with "safer" picks over upside. Our guys imo fit more of a high level role players that fit a system like the Spurs model instead of chasing upside. So far my early guess is we will be trying to draft Frank Jackson and OG Anunoby (with Masai wet dreaming of Bam Adebayo but he'll go too high) although I would like us to try Jonathan Jeanne with one of our picks.

Comment

• I think what he's saying is we should've picked Chriss instead of Poeltl, which I agree with. I still don't really understand why we drafted Jakob.

Comment

• Lupe wrote: View Post
                  I think what he's saying is we should've picked Chriss instead of Poeltl, which I agree with. I still don't really understand why we drafted Jakob.
                  How does this statement make ANY sense? Chriss was picked before Poeltl. Therefore, Masai could not pick Chriss unless he was willing to move up. None of us know what/if that was possible. We know what the Suns offered, but we can't assume that the Kings would have given the Raps a similar deal (we can guess, but that's it).

Of course Poeltl isn't as good as Chriss. Show me the person on this thread who thought that Poeltl was going to be the better player? You don't understand the Poeltl pick? Poeltl had the highest upside of the players available. Simple as that. Is he who I would have picked? No, but I don't have access to the same amount of data, and don't have the resources they have.

Sometimes you have to trust professionals with more information than you.

To me, the selection was completely understandable.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    Murray was pretty good last night. 16 points with 7 rebounds and 6 assists. He's not a great defender and that will take time.. and that might have cost him minutes under Casey. But offensively I would not be surprised at all if Murray out produces Ross by the end of the year.
                    Not-great Murray showed up tonight, shot 4 for 16 from the field, including 0 for 6 from beyond the arc

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                      How does this statement make ANY sense? Chriss was picked before Poeltl. Therefore, Masai could not pick Chriss unless he was willing to move up. None of us know what/if that was possible. We know what the Suns offered, but we can't assume that the Kings would have given the Raps a similar deal (we can guess, but that's it).

Of course Poeltl isn't as good as Chriss. Show me the person on this thread who thought that Poeltl was going to be the better player? You don't understand the Poeltl pick? Poeltl had the highest upside of the players available. Simple as that. Is he who I would have picked? No, but I don't have access to the same amount of data, and don't have the resources they have.

Sometimes you have to trust professionals with more information than you.

To me, the selection was completely understandable.
                      The "professionals know better" argument can be used successfully in many instances, but the NBA Draft is definitely not one of those.

Comment

• Both are looking pretty good - virtually guaranteed production/value over their rookie contracts and beyond, with Siakam being the more immediate of the two.

Comment

• Poeltl and Siakam quickly validating their own selections.

Comment

• The first two games shows that most rookies have more ups and downs then veterans. Injuries are giving these fellows more minutes which is fine as long as they improve.

Comment

• To think of all the people who were all bend out of shape at the idea of these guys getting minutes just a couple days ago. Told you guys these two had what it took to contribute in the small roles we needed them to do. Which is play D, rebound and run the floor. Which our all strengths of Poeltl & Pascal.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• I think the Raps need to get Poeltl on the floor more than this. Making the playoff is a formality with this talent. Now is the time for him to work out his rookie mistakes.

Comment

Working...
                                X