Everything Delon Wright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jangles wrote: View Post
    Well its no secret that Casey favours veterans. Its also different when you have 2 early-mid lottery pick rookies versus a late first round rookie. I would think there is a lot more pressure to find minutes for the lottery pick rooks.
    I don't know why people are having such a hard time wrapping their head around this kid playing next year. Just 2 days ago masai implyed he made a huge mistake with his vasquez-lou matador backcourt. They draft a SENIOR point guard that the coach loves trade vasquez immediately, you guys don't see the plan? Masai freed enough room to bring back lou AND sign a marquee sf/pf. We actually need lous bench scoring now, he should mesh well with a pass first stopper.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Raptorfanatic wrote: View Post
      Ujiri indicated the Raptors were going to pick the best available player at 20th regardless of need.
      Was Delon Wright the best player available ????
      I would of thought Portis and others would have ranked higher in terms of pure talent.
      The concept of a "best player available" is a myth. It's too subjective to have any meaning.

If you asked 10 people who the 20th best player going into the draft was, you would've likely got 10 different answers.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
        I know most of your posts are just based on the premise "I hate Casey", but this whole "will not play a rookie" thing is highly overblown. The only rookies he didn't play were Bruno and Bebe, and anyone being honest with themselves knows they shouldnt have been playing anyway. Ross and JV both played every game as part of the rotation in their rookie year.

I would venture to guess quite confidently that this guy was brought in to get an honest shot at backup pg, especially with Vasquez out the door. We had way too many "small ball" 1-2-3's last year, MU knew it, and this guy won't get Vasquez like minutes, he will probably be here to strictly relieve Lowry twice a game. Not saying we won't bring in another guy for insurance, or training camp competition, but I would bet my bottom dollar Wright will get an honest shot at it
        It isn't just young players, Casey has always had trouble managing rosters and playing time. A 49 win team that clinched the Atlantic early shouldn't be overplaying Lowry or in previous years giving Butler and Anderson playing time over the younger players once they were out of the playoffs.

Comment

I don't know why people are having such a hard time wrapping their head around this kid playing next year. Just 2 days ago masai implyed he made a huge mistake with his vasquez-lou matador backcourt. They draft a SENIOR point guard that the coach loves trade vasquez immediately, you guys don't see the plan? Masai freed enough room to bring back lou AND sign a marquee sf/pf. We actually need lous bench scoring now, he should mesh well with a pass first stopper.
          Raptors brought in a large SF after being bullied in the playoffs and Casey used him perfectly.

Comment

Lou and Vasquez just don't work together, on either end. Wright and Lou has a decent chance of working.
            The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
              Raptors brought in a large SF after being bullied in the playoffs and Casey used him perfectly.
              What does that have to do with this?

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                The concept of a "best player available" is a myth. It's too subjective to have any meaning.

If you asked 10 people who the 20th best player going into the draft was, you would've likely got 10 different answers.
                this is a great point. there's no such thing as "bpa". a team's draft board is semi-based around need, to one degree or another.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                  I think his ceiling is a starting PG on a bad team or an above average backup on a contender, with lockdown defending. Not a star, but an important piece for a contender.
                  Sounds about right. In that Darren Collison mold, though his breakdown ability could lift him a little higher.

Comment

• 007 wrote: View Post
                    Lou and Vasquez just don't work together, on either end. Wright and Lou has a decent chance of working.
                    It would, except Lou's a UFA and we're not signing him.

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                      The biggest concern about Wright's transition to the NBA revolves around his outside shooting. He made just 38 of 126 attempts the past two seasons (30%), and is especially limited as an off the dribble shooter. Wright's pull-up jumper is virtually non-existent at this stage, as he sports a low and slow release on his shot, and gets little to no elevation, which makes it difficult for him to create separation from defenders. His hesitance to shoot off the dribble is something that better defenses scouted and were able to take advantage of consistently the last two years, sagging way off him, going underneath screens on the pick and roll, and generally mucking up Utah's offense

From DraftExpress.comhttp://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3e9Mverrq
                      http://www.draftexpress.com
                      I think an encouraging sign is that his brother entered the league with the same knock and now his shooting is his best skill. Not far fetched to think that he could follow a similar path especially if he works at it
                      Ball Don't Lie

Comment

No, just...no. Masai freed enough room to sign a marquee SF/PF and a SF/PF. We need to fill both positions. Lou is as good as gone, the only exception being if we get our SF/PF with a DeMar trade.

Crazy pills, i tell you.

Comment

• SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                          It would, except Lou's a UFA and we're not signing him.
                          Wanna bet?

Comment

Wanna bet?
                            Sure, signatures? I'd also be happy to ban myself if I'm wrong. Do I get to keep the exception that we could sign Lou if we trade DeMar?

Comment

Wanna bet?
                              SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post
                              Sure, signatures? I'd also be happy to ban myself if I'm wrong. Do I get to keep the exception that we could sign Lou if we trade DeMar?
                              For what it's worth, I agree with SkywalkerAC that Lou shouldn't be back, but I actually think Masai will attempt to keep him.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                                this is a great point. there's no such thing as "bpa". a team's draft board is semi-based around need, to one degree or another.
                                And the interviews with Tolzman before the draft made it really clear they were using a 'tier' approach in their draft board. Meaning that generally, if one player left was of a higher tier than other players, they would take that player. But if multiple players available are on the same tier, then other factors including positional need would come into play. So rather than being the best player available, it's likely that when it was their turn to pick, there were a few players they had on the same tier, including Wright, but they liked Wright and saw a role on the team for him more than the others.

Comment

Working...
                                X