Everything Delon Wright

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    you do mean a guard who shot above 50 from the floor right?

The biggest concern about Wright's transition to the NBA revolves around his outside shooting. He made just 38 of 126 attempts the past two seasons (30%), and is especially limited as an off the dribble shooter. Wright's pull-up jumper is virtually non-existent at this stage, as he sports a low and slow release on his shot, and gets little to no elevation, which makes it difficult for him to create separation from defenders. His hesitance to shoot off the dribble is something that better defenses scouted and were able to take advantage of consistently the last two years, sagging way off him, going underneath screens on the pick and roll, and generally mucking up Utah's offense

From DraftExpress.comhttp://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3e9Mverrq
    http://www.draftexpress.com

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
      The biggest concern about Wright's transition to the NBA revolves around his outside shooting. He made just 38 of 126 attempts the past two seasons (30%), and is especially limited as an off the dribble shooter. Wright's pull-up jumper is virtually non-existent at this stage, as he sports a low and slow release on his shot, and gets little to no elevation, which makes it difficult for him to create separation from defenders. His hesitance to shoot off the dribble is something that better defenses scouted and were able to take advantage of consistently the last two years, sagging way off him, going underneath screens on the pick and roll, and generally mucking up Utah's offense

From DraftExpress.comhttp://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3e9Mverrq
      http://www.draftexpress.com
      Are those the only shots he can take now? Last year Kobe made 28% of his threes. I didn't know that when we talk about pgs that can't shoot we ignore the above 50% from the floor and only focus on behind the 3pt line. Seems like he is a player that excels at making shots but struggles from behind the arc.

Very different image, and more truthful, than a pg that can't shoot

Comment

Are those the only shots he can take now? Last year Kobe made 28% of his threes. I didn't know that when we talk about pgs that can't shoot we ignore the above 50% from the floor and only focus on behind the 3pt line. Seems like he is a player that excels at making shots but struggles from behind the arc.

Very different image, and more truthful, than a pg that can't shoot
        NBA is 82 games + playoffs with a 24 sec clock and better defenders. Whether a guy can shoot is more than %. Against NBA players college FG% sometime doesn't translate. Danials was OK in college but is still very inconsistent even against players in Australia.

Comment

NBA is 82 games + playoffs with a 24 sec clock and better defenders. Whether a guy can shoot is more than %. Against NBA players college FG% sometime doesn't translate. Danials was OK in college but is still very inconsistent even against players in Australia.
          yeah but 50% man. don't sell that short. that points directly to a player who understands his limitations and strengths.

Comment

Also don't forget this isn't your typical NCAA player. He regularly practices with NBA players because of his brother's connections. Not my personal pick, but he understands his game, how to make it work, excellent at changing speeds and already has NBA ready skills in how he splits defenses and uses the pick and roll. Combine that with defense, for a bench player how can fans complain?

He's not a pick I'm enthused about, but I understand the rationale.

Comment

All I hear when I read people talking about lack of outside shooting on here is:

"Don't like player X because he doesn't shoot the outside shot well but DD is a top 10 SG in the league #Provem"

Pick a goddamn narrative and stick with it!

*My bias is showing

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                All I wanted was a DEFENSIVE backup pg that can handle the ball. This guy seems to be able to do that, and there weren't many available currently employed in the NBA. Vasquez was a net negative as far as I'm concerned. Now we have more money to bring back either Lou or Amir AND sign potentially a semi higher tier player while still filling out the bench. If he can play 12-18 minutes a night and not fuck up the game, perfect. It also keeps Casey from playing a PG at the 2 position for extended periods, I'd assume. I would focus entirely on a GOOD PF and replacing T Ross for a nice upgrade at the SF position, which should in turn force Caseys hand into giving JJ 15-20 minutes a night again and restores natural positions
                The part where you said natural positions stuck out to me. We have two SG's playing minutes at SF. T-Ross is 6'6-6'7 guarding and has shortish arms. We need someone who is 6'9 or 8 and ways at least 235. James Johnson would be the best....but he isn't 3 and D just the D and slashing. What would be good is having a starting caliber 3 like middleton and have a bench with T Ross, JJ, PPat/somone new, BEBE, Wright.

Also if we have a proper SF it would help out demar because he would have more energy on the offence and defensive end.

We don't need a superstar even....just a solid allstar caliber player even if its a borderline all star.

Comment

you misunderstand me. elfrid is sick is a statement of his ability to play basketball. where as the next sentence, which had a full stop, finished the comparison asked by the original question. where i think that ennis is a better prospect than wright but wright is a better defender and player at this stage.
                  Ah I see... I still think Ennis isn't. However I haven't seen enough of the kids game. I think playing in phx for most of the year stunted his growth. Now he is going to be a third stringer and barely see anything on the bucks. I think they will both be at summer league so yeah.

Comment

yeah but 50% man. don't sell that short. that points directly to a player who understands his limitations and strengths.
                    He's also a 80%+ FT shooter. If he's open he can probably sink shots but Casey does not set up shooters and without a jumper or finishing ability he will struggle under Casey. I don't hate Wright I hate Casey

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                      I think playing in phx for most of the year stunted his growth.
                      Agreed.

Comment

He's also a 80%+ FT shooter. If he's open he can probably sink shots but Casey does not set up shooters and without a jumper or finishing ability he will struggle under Casey. I don't hate Wright I hate Casey
                        I know you hate Casey.

You pointed to trends from college to the NBA and here point to ft%. That generally translates into the ability to add range because a player has good mechanics.

I think Wrights' court time is not going to be the same as other rookies. He isn't a 19 year old kid. He had a full college career. Utah paid for his development and instead of capitalizing on his growth by leaving the raptors, the raptors will be capitalizing on that growth.

I will go ahead and say it here that without a trade to bring in a vet pg, which I don't think will happen, that Wright is the incumbent back up pg. He will play with Lou and Lowry, not necessarily all three at once, and probably very limited time with demar, unless demar shows up hitting 32+% from 3 all of a sudden.

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                          The part where you said natural positions stuck out to me. We have two SG's playing minutes at SF. T-Ross is 6'6-6'7 guarding and has shortish arms. We need someone who is 6'9 or 8 and ways at least 235. James Johnson would be the best....but he isn't 3 and D just the D and slashing. What would be good is having a starting caliber 3 like middleton and have a bench with T Ross, JJ, PPat/somone new, BEBE, Wright.

Also if we have a proper SF it would help out demar because he would have more energy on the offence and defensive end.

We don't need a superstar even....just a solid allstar caliber player even if its a borderline all star.
                          Middleton I feel will resign in MIL but with Hezonja being drafted in ORL I feel as if Orlando thinks they'll lose Tobias Harris in RFA and that opens up an opportunity for us to sign him to an offer sheet.

Comment

I'm for Tobias Harris. Is it possible ORL doesn't match with hezonja now as you said? And I'm not aware of our cap, do we have the funds to make a strong bid?
                            in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

Seems like he is the type of player they want at the three. Is he worth the max though. Lowry demar Harris 2pat jv seems fine to me. If we max him do we have enough for a reasonable Lou deal or do we lose our bench scoring?

Comment

Solid pick. Defensive point guard. High IQ player. Rebounds, steals, passes the ball. Knows his strengths, his weaknesses and willing to improve overtime. I think i'm convinced he was the BPA @ 20.
                                #JaysWinningLikeItz93'

Comment

Working...
                                X