Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Everything Delon Wright

Raptors Republic Superstar OldSkoolCool's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

All I hear when I read people talking about lack of outside shooting on here is:

"Don't like player X because he doesn't shoot the outside shot well but DD is a top 10 SG in the league #Provem"

Pick a goddamn narrative and stick with it!

*My bias is showing

2. Like Just Is, Joey, Nilanka, KHD liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote KeonClark wrote: View Post
    All I wanted was a DEFENSIVE backup pg that can handle the ball. This guy seems to be able to do that, and there weren't many available currently employed in the NBA. Vasquez was a net negative as far as I'm concerned. Now we have more money to bring back either Lou or Amir AND sign potentially a semi higher tier player while still filling out the bench. If he can play 12-18 minutes a night and not fuck up the game, perfect. It also keeps Casey from playing a PG at the 2 position for extended periods, I'd assume. I would focus entirely on a GOOD PF and replacing T Ross for a nice upgrade at the SF position, which should in turn force Caseys hand into giving JJ 15-20 minutes a night again and restores natural positions
    The part where you said natural positions stuck out to me. We have two SG's playing minutes at SF. T-Ross is 6'6-6'7 guarding and has shortish arms. We need someone who is 6'9 or 8 and ways at least 235. James Johnson would be the best....but he isn't 3 and D just the D and slashing. What would be good is having a starting caliber 3 like middleton and have a bench with T Ross, JJ, PPat/somone new, BEBE, Wright.

Also if we have a proper SF it would help out demar because he would have more energy on the offence and defensive end.

We don't need a superstar even....just a solid allstar caliber player even if its a borderline all star.

4. Like Wild-ling#1, blackjitsu liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    you misunderstand me. elfrid is sick is a statement of his ability to play basketball. where as the next sentence, which had a full stop, finished the comparison asked by the original question. where i think that ennis is a better prospect than wright but wright is a better defender and player at this stage.
    Ah I see... I still think Ennis isn't. However I haven't seen enough of the kids game. I think playing in phx for most of the year stunted his growth. Now he is going to be a third stringer and barely see anything on the bucks. I think they will both be at summer league so yeah.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    yeah but 50% man. don't sell that short. that points directly to a player who understands his limitations and strengths.
    He's also a 80%+ FT shooter. If he's open he can probably sink shots but Casey does not set up shooters and without a jumper or finishing ability he will struggle under Casey. I don't hate Wright I hate Casey

Raptors Republic Veteran Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
    I think playing in phx for most of the year stunted his growth.
    Agreed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    He's also a 80%+ FT shooter. If he's open he can probably sink shots but Casey does not set up shooters and without a jumper or finishing ability he will struggle under Casey. I don't hate Wright I hate Casey
    I know you hate Casey.

You pointed to trends from college to the NBA and here point to ft%. That generally translates into the ability to add range because a player has good mechanics.

I think Wrights' court time is not going to be the same as other rookies. He isn't a 19 year old kid. He had a full college career. Utah paid for his development and instead of capitalizing on his growth by leaving the raptors, the raptors will be capitalizing on that growth.

I will go ahead and say it here that without a trade to bring in a vet pg, which I don't think will happen, that Wright is the incumbent back up pg. He will play with Lou and Lowry, not necessarily all three at once, and probably very limited time with demar, unless demar shows up hitting 32+% from 3 all of a sudden.

9. Like Superjudge liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
    The part where you said natural positions stuck out to me. We have two SG's playing minutes at SF. T-Ross is 6'6-6'7 guarding and has shortish arms. We need someone who is 6'9 or 8 and ways at least 235. James Johnson would be the best....but he isn't 3 and D just the D and slashing. What would be good is having a starting caliber 3 like middleton and have a bench with T Ross, JJ, PPat/somone new, BEBE, Wright.

Also if we have a proper SF it would help out demar because he would have more energy on the offence and defensive end.

We don't need a superstar even....just a solid allstar caliber player even if its a borderline all star.
    Middleton I feel will resign in MIL but with Hezonja being drafted in ORL I feel as if Orlando thinks they'll lose Tobias Harris in RFA and that opens up an opportunity for us to sign him to an offer sheet.

Raptors Republic Starter koncept's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm for Tobias Harris. Is it possible ORL doesn't match with hezonja now as you said? And I'm not aware of our cap, do we have the funds to make a strong bid?

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like he is the type of player they want at the three. Is he worth the max though. Lowry demar Harris 2pat jv seems fine to me. If we max him do we have enough for a reasonable Lou deal or do we lose our bench scoring?

Post Thanks / Like

Solid pick. Defensive point guard. High IQ player. Rebounds, steals, passes the ball. Knows his strengths, his weaknesses and willing to improve overtime. I think i'm convinced he was the BPA @ 20.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote MACK11 wrote: View Post
    I like this pick but his age is just such a downer. The guy will be 24 halfway into his rookie season. He's basically gonna be in his prime by his sophomore season.
    This team had a 27 year old as a backup point guard, now you are composing about athe back up point guard who is 3.5 years younger!

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote koncept wrote: View Post
    I'm for Tobias Harris. Is it possible ORL doesn't match with hezonja now as you said? And I'm not aware of our cap, do we have the funds to make a strong bid?
    I am for trading for Terrance Jones , before signing a swing man. The PF position is the main concern. But with almost 22 million to spend before you hit the salary cap - trading for jones gives you 20 million dollars to pursue a new a SF and resign LWilliams and still have monies before you hit the luxury tax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
    I am for trading for Terrance Jones , before signing a swing man. The PF position is the main concern. But with almost 22 million to spend before you hit the salary cap - trading for jones gives you 20 million dollars to pursue a new a SF and resign LWilliams and still have monies before you hit the luxury tax
    I'm for this idea of signing Jones but I believe Masai is trying to sign a big name @ PF as well during free agency rather than a SF. There really is not many solid available SFs on the market this year during free agency. Alternatively, I like absorbing Lee's contract if we can get Looney from GS as well as a kicker.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at the player, I think the pick is fine, he is a bit older than most draft choices but he seems to have a more well-rounded game to go with it.

i just hope this isn't a "casey pick". rumors of him being on board with the pick disturb me. Hopefully, him being "on board" simply mean that Masai said "we're drafting him", and Casey said "OK".

I don't want any more of Casey's "basketball" philosophies in this team.

Raptors Republic Veteran Jangles's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote KHD wrote: View Post
    Looking at the player, I think the pick is fine, he is a bit older than most draft choices but he seems to have a more well-rounded game to go with it.

i just hope this isn't a "casey pick". rumors of him being on board with the pick disturb me. Hopefully, him being "on board" simply mean that Masai said "we're drafting him", and Casey said "OK".

I don't want any more of Casey's "basketball" philosophies in this team.
    But things turned out really well when we listened to Casey in 2012.

/s

19. Like Superjudge liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Casey will not play a rookie, especially one who can't create his own shot. If MU doesn't get a PG, Lou if he re-signs or even Demar will be playing PG. Not sure if Wright as a rookie is better than Julyan Stone
    I don't agree. Guards tend to transition easier to the pros than some of the other positions. I don't know how much he will be playing but I think he will be playing sooner rather than later. He's a senior, he's really big and knows how to use that size by playing some good D. If he's going to stick in the league he's probably going to make an impact earlier on in his career; this isn't a project pick. Casey needs to support this pick and play the man. He's it and Casey is crazy if he asks DeMar to be the floor general - That version of the Raptors goes no where anytime soon.

Raptors Republic Veteran Jangles's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    I don't agree. Guards tend to transition easier to the pros than some of the other positions. I don't know how much he will be playing but I think he will be playing sooner rather than later. He's a senior, he's big and knows how to play D. If he's going to stick in the league he's probably going to make an impact earlier on in his career; this isn't a project pick.
    Didnt we have a defensive stopper, who is a poor shooter, but efficient scorer, on the roster who warmed the bench for most of last year?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jangles wrote: View Post
    Didnt we have a defensive stopper, who is a poor shooter, but efficient scorer, on the roster who warmed the bench for most of last year?
    I threw in another line in my post. Casey needs to do whatever MU wants if he wants to stick in Toronto. If the results aren't there then you damn well best be on the same page as your boss because you have no safety net (results).

This team is nowhere near a championship. What they did here was land a guy who can play now a little and who has huge upside if he develops some range.

Raptors Republic Icon
    Post Thanks / Like

More information on Wright from write up on winning 2015 Bob Cousy Award:

Utah senior point guard Delon Wright won the 2015 Bob Cousy Point Guard of the Year Award. Wright beat out fellow finalists T.J. McConnell of Arizona, Tyus Jones of Duke, Kevin Pangos of Gonzaga, and Fred VanVleet of Wichita State. Wright faced every other finalist this season except Pangos. Wright joins the excellent group of previous award winners, including Shabazz Napier, Connecticut (2014), Trey Burke, Michigan (2013), Kendall Marshall, North Carolina (2012), Kemba Walker, Connecticut (2011), Greivis Vasquez, Maryland (2010), Ty Lawson, North Carolina (2009), DJ Augustin, Texas (2008), Acie Law, Texas A & M (2007), Dee Brown, Illinois (2006), Raymond Felton, North Carolina (2005) and Jameer Nelson, St. Joseph's (2004). Wright was the first player from Utah to win the award that was created in the 2003-04 season.

Wright led Utah to the Sweet 16 and a 26-9 overall record. For his strong play this season, he was also named an AP and NABC All-American. Wright finished first on the team with 14.5 points, 5.1 assists and 2.1 steals per game, and he was second with 4.9 rebounds. He had a 19.1 efficiency rating, the best in the Pac-12. In his two seasons at Utah, he led the Runnin' Utes to 47 wins. He also finished third in career steals (155). He also had 1,022 career points, 397 rebounds, 352 assists, and 77 blocks. Wright was named first team All-Pac-12 in both of his seasons at Utah.

Wright winning the Cousy Award further calls into question how he could be passed over for Pac-12 Player of the Year.

http://www.blocku.com/2015/4/10/8385...ob-cousy-award
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    More information on Wright from write up on winning 2015 Bob Cousy Award:
    Nice numbers. Eager to see how it translates into the NBA.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread Information