Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 501

Thread: Everything Delon Wright

  1. #41
    Raptors Republic Veteran JimiCliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    5,041
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Jangles wrote: View Post
    Didnt we have a defensive stopper, who is a poor shooter, but efficient scorer, on the roster who warmed the bench for most of last year?
    Delon Wright just needs to not destroy the locker room and he'll be fine lol.

    I really don't know about this pick. It's VERY hard for PGs who don't shoot the three to thrive in the NBA. I guess the ideal comp would be Livingston, but his height let's him abuse other guards in the post...Wright had better be an absolute monster on D.

    And with his lack of shot, how do you play him and Demar at the same time? Is this a hint that Demar isn't in the longterm plans?

  2. #42
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    4,729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It's a draft pick. In the Summertime in Toronto we will beta the shit out of this now for the next 6 weeks. Hilarious

    so my take on this guy;

    Pro's

    1. He is not coboclo. Period. No more gambles that take until the GM' contract is done to prove massive failures
    2. He's 24. Thank god. the biggest, and I mean HUGEST mistake is to call that "old". You don't age in people years, your prime is measured in "pro years" Don't mistake the two for being the same.
    3. 4 years in college. THIS might be one of the biggest things I am happy about. A guy that played for an NBA style coach in college, for 4 years, and will come into this league miles ahead of hlf the existing roster.
    4. His brother is already in the NBA. You can't buy that experience and guidance, you just can't. It's another big deal.
    5. Defence. He likes it. Period.

    cons.

    1. he can't shoot.



    Unfortunately for me, this is kind of a big deal. You already see how this affect DD. If you can't draw an NBA defender out to guard you, you're basically useless. I worry about this for Wright. I would hope, and I say this every year about every player, that this kid is getting up at least 2000 shots a day, and filling the rest of his day with weights.



    so basically I like the pick. I like the kid and his head. Love his age and his maturity. Love 4 years in college, and love his family ties to the NBA. If he isn't a stand out lottery win, he will at the least be a reliable role player and that ok....in the end, its the draft man..... ya never know.

  3. #43
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    4,729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote JimiCliff wrote: View Post
    And with his lack of shot, how do you play him and Demar at the same time? Is this a hint that Demar isn't in the longterm plans?
    no

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    1,296
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If he does not fix his shot, he will be defended very tightly in NBA and will not be able to stay on the court. I don't think he is a Rondo type player to get away with not having a good shot in NBA.

  5. #45
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    4,729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What tells you he isn't.

    xplain.

    Or is this just a guess disguised as knowledge.

  6. #46
    Raptors Republic Veteran JimiCliff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    5,041
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Superjudge wrote: View Post
    no
    Dude, can you not just let a man dream?

  7. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
  8. #47
    Raptors Republic Superstar Superjudge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Niagara
    Posts
    4,729
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    hahahahahaha

  9. #48
    Super Moderator Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    13,856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Axel wrote: View Post

    6. Drafts PG Delon Wright of Utah at #20 much to the chagrin of many RR posters who are screaming for PG George Lucas.
    Pretty good on my prediction from mcHappy's bragging rights thread. Swap Lucas for Portis (prediction was made long before Lucas withdrew ~ April 29th) and it's pretty bang on.

    Personally, I really like the pick. My top priority for the pick was perimeter defence, whether point or wing and Wright can kinda do both.

    Shared this link last month in the draft thread (god knows what page now)
    http://www.si.com/nba/2015/05/29/nba...y-delon-wright

    "8. Don't sleep on Delon Wright. A weakness of college hoops writers, who moonlight as draft analysts, is that we tend to get too bullish on seniors, so take this with that in mind: I'm bullish on Utah's Delon Wright as this draft's late-first/early-second round sleeper. A 6'5" point guard, Wright passes the eye test as a savvy playmaker and long-armed, steal-generating defender (he got the nickname "Sticky" from his old AAU coach for always getting his hands on the ball), and he excels in key statistical categories.

    Assists, rebounds and blocks per 40 minutes are some of the college stats with the strongest correlations to the NBA, and college steals per 40 are viewed as a success indicator. This past season, Wright averaged 6.2 assists, 6.2 rebounds, 1.2 blocks and 2.6 steals per 40 minutes, pace-adjusted. In the past 15 seasons of college hoops, there were only five other players—overall, not just among draft prospects—who averaged at least 5.0 assists, 5.0 rebounds, 1.0 blocks and 2.5 steals:

    ~~ Can't post the image but the chart shows D Wade, Lin, Francisco Garcia, Tyreke Evans, Kyle Weaver and Wright, who did it twice ~~

    An MVP, Linsanity, a 10-year veteran, a Rookie of the Year and a guy who at least briefly played well for OKC: This is good company for Wright to keep. He was arguably a better college player than everyone on that list except Dwyane Wade, has held his own in Drew League and pickup games with his older brother Dorell's NBA friends for years, and should be able to contribute in a bench role immediately as a pro. Scouts have concerns over Wright's long-range shooting ability, due to his general reluctance to take threes, and the fact that he made just 22.6% of them as a junior, but I think it's a bit overblown. He shot 35.6% from deep as a senior and 83.5% from the free-throw line, which is relevant because it tends to correlate to distance-shooting success in the NBA."

    The age thing doesn't bother me. Sure, as a senior, he has less potential for development, but should offer more substance from the get go. And it's not like he is old and only has a few years of shelf life. If we can get a solid backup PG for 10 years at 20th pick, then that is fantastic value imo.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

  10. Like vino, Scraptor, stooley, Superjudge liked this post
  11. #49
    Raptors Republic Rookie StaytheCourse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote raptors999 wrote: View Post
    Casey will not play a rookie, especially one who can't create his own shot. If MU doesn't get a PG, Lou if he re-signs or even Demar will be playing PG. Not sure if Wright as a rookie is better than Julyan Stone
    Exactly what I fear the second coming of Julyan Stone!
    Twitter:@coachclement

    The best way to predict your future is to create it - Peter Drucker

  12. #50
    Super Moderator Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    13,856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote StaytheCourse wrote: View Post
    Exactly what I fear the second coming of Julyan Stone!
    Haha, that is crazy talk. Stone was inept on offence, Wright is not. He is a pass first PG who can hit his shots, but looks for others. How is that not a good thing? Or do people want another me-first player in the back-court?
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

  13. #51
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    20,302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    For what its worth, Casey says Wright was the guy all week that they were going with.

    Quote Superjudge wrote: View Post
    It's a draft pick. In the Summertime in Toronto we will beta the shit out of this now for the next 6 weeks. Hilarious

    so my take on this guy;

    Pro's

    1. He is not coboclo. Period. No more gambles that take until the GM' contract is done to prove massive failures
    2. He's 24. Thank god. the biggest, and I mean HUGEST mistake is to call that "old". You don't age in people years, your prime is measured in "pro years" Don't mistake the two for being the same.
    3. 4 years in college. THIS might be one of the biggest things I am happy about. A guy that played for an NBA style coach in college, for 4 years, and will come into this league miles ahead of hlf the existing roster.
    4. His brother is already in the NBA. You can't buy that experience and guidance, you just can't. It's another big deal.
    5. Defence. He likes it. Period.

    cons.

    1. he can't shoot.

    His maturity will no doubt be good currency in the locker room. He is not a project and I think will surprise some doubting Raptors fans early because they're used to their rookies being very raw. This guy isn't the classic Raptors' wild card pick.

    There are many cases of guys coming into the league and then developing their offense. There are few examples of guys coming in and then developing their defense. For some reason on the defensive side of the ball if you don't have it before going to the pros you're unlikely to ever have.

  14. #52
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Everything Delon Wright

    Wright's shooting woes are overblown. We needed defence at the perimeter. John Wall being allowed to dance in the playoffs and the likes of a healthy Kyrie going through Raptor pylons means the team never gets out of the first round. Both Wright and Powell are good picks/fit for this team. Now, they just need to go and get Millsap and CoJo and this team will be better than last year.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

  15. Like Joey, Apollo liked this post
  16. #53
    Raptors Republic Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    5,627
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Jangles wrote: View Post
    Didnt we have a defensive stopper, who is a poor shooter, but efficient scorer, on the roster who warmed the bench for most of last year?
    Big difference is that Wright is supposedly an excellent passer & natural distributor with really high BBIQ. Don't know that much about him, but he sounds a bit like Jason Kidd 2.0. It will be very interesting to see what happens to that natural BBIQ after one season under Casey.

    I like the pick.

  17. Like stooley, Apollo liked this post
  18. #54
    Super Moderator Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    13,856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    For what its worth, Casey says Wright was the guy all week that they were going with.
    Not sure that is a positive endorsement.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

  19. #55
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    20,302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Not sure that is a positive endorsement.
    It's not a slight either. I don't care if Casey is gushing about him. Casey is on borrowed time.

  20. #56
    Super Moderator Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    13,856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Big difference is that Wright is supposedly an excellent passer & natural distributor with really high BBIQ. Don't know that much about him, but he sounds a bit like Jason Kidd 2.0. It will be very interesting to see what happens to that natural BBIQ after one season under Casey.

    I like the pick.
    Solid rebounder from the guard spot too.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

  21. Like Apollo liked this post
  22. #57
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    20,302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Big difference is that Wright is supposedly an excellent passer & natural distributor with really high BBIQ. Don't know that much about him, but he sounds a bit like Jason Kidd 2.0. It will be very interesting to see what happens to that natural BBIQ after one season under Casey.

    I like the pick.
    Excuse me sir, you're at a ten, we need you at about a six. Thanks.

  23. Like Day One liked this post
  24. #58
    Super Moderator Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    13,856
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    It's not a slight either. I don't care if Casey is gushing about him. Casey is on borrowed time.
    Agreed.

    Very happy with the pick. Not so happy about the coach.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

  25. Like Day One, Just Is, Apollo liked this post
  26. #59
    Raptors Republic Veteran Jangles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    7,775
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    If nothing else changes between now and November, very little will change next season. A rookie back up PG, playing 10-15 mpg will do virtually nothing for this team. He's not going to be the difference between us losing to or beating Wall and the Wiz.

    Even if the kid plays more and is a able to lock down good PGs right off the bat, its the system thats truly broken and he will likely be less effective anyway.

  27. #60
    Administrator Apollo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    20,302
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Jangles wrote: View Post
    If nothing else changes between now and November, very little will change next season. A rookie back up PG, playing 10-15 mpg will do virtually nothing for this team. He's not going to be the difference between us losing to or beating Wall and the Wiz.

    Even if the kid plays more and is a able to lock down good PGs right off the bat, its the system thats truly broken and he will likely be less effective anyway.
    They're selecting 20th. What did you really expect from this pick? There is a lot of time between now and November. This was one of many potential pieces to come.

  28. Like golden, Axel liked this post
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •