Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Good Could JV Be If He Played 32 Minutes A Game.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Good Could JV Be If He Played 32 Minutes A Game.....

...with a good passing PG, in a system that used the PNR and he had an effective 3 point shooter as a wing?

I think that is the question that still needs to be answered. Oh, and just for fun, imagine that he played on a line in which three of the starters played adequate defense for their position.

I think last year, Lowry and Amir both played adequate defense. This past season, I think DeMar did most of the time. So far that's it, in my opinion.

As good as he is now +6 minutes

Comment

We should have found out what he could do in 32 MPG last season. Not sure how long before we get adequate defenders and shooters on board.

I think JV gets us 16&11 this year if he gets 30MPG.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Marginally better than he is right now?

Comment

Was listening to the Grantland post-draft podcast with Chad Ford and he talked about how development is sped up when players are allowed to simply go out and play through their mistakes. If JV had ended up on a lottery team and was fed 20+ post touches over night then I think he'd be really effective down there and his passing out of it would be miles ahead. Really hoping this team makes an effort to play through him more this year after seeing how bogged down their iso-heavy offence fared in the playoffs.

On the other hand, I think his defence would actually be worse. At the very least Casey is demanding effectiveness in the minutes he gives Valanciunas, and you would hope that's forcing a higher level of attention to detail. Unfortunately bigs usually take 5+ years to become GOOD defenders unless they have the body to compensate for their lack of experience. I don't think Val is ever going to be a monster horizontally on the defensive end, but I think he can be quite good as a paint anchor - he's already become much better at the verticality thing. He just needs more time on the court and better defenders in front of him to figure out how to use his size to deter penetration instead of trying to mitigate it after it's already happened.

Comment

Hope for the best but the guy still looks clueless a lot of the time on the court. My fear is that his awareness for the game will never truly come around. Fear that he will increase his TOs with increased touches (disproportional increase). I fear that he will also continue to struggle protecting the rim against the great, athletic players in the league.

That said no reason he can't average 15/12 in 30-34 mpg.

Comment

if we can pick up Trevor Ariza and Paul Millsap, both tough defenders that can shoot the 3 with Ross and 2Pat coming off the bench the court will open up wide for JV
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

32 MPG would be a nice start.

competent tactics from the coach would be even better.

Not playing with Demar "ISO long-2 jumpshit over 2 defenders" Derozan would help too.

I think JV should be around 15 PPG and 10 RPG in a good system right now, and who knows where he'd go from there.
                Last edited by KHD; Sun Jun 28, 2015, 11:35 AM.

Comment

When you have Casey as HC, you can't really properly gauge a project like JV. And the guy in charge of JVs development just got fired???
                  15/10 easily with add'l minutes
                  With right coaching and offensive system
                  18/10 + few assists.
                  ==
                  I know some ppl are hating on JV ; but keep in mind big a) man takes a while and b) He actually has talent, and if you don't like JV, it's OK, but WHO DO YOU REPLACE HIM WITH ??? and how much it would costs.
                  Let's get real, JV is here to stay , so let's do the best we can with him (unless you can convince Hinkie to give up one of his bigs)

Axel wrote: View Post
                  We should have found out what he could do in 32 MPG last season. Not sure how long before we get adequate defenders and shooters on board.

I think JV gets us 16&11 this year if he gets 30MPG.

Comment

distorsun wrote: View Post
                    When you have Casey as HC, you can't really properly gauge a project like JV. And the guy in charge of JVs development just got fired???
                    15/10 easily with add'l minutes
                    With right coaching and offensive system
                    18/10 + few assists.
                    ==
                    I know some ppl are hating on JV ; but keep in mind big a) man takes a while and b) He actually has talent, and if you don't like JV, it's OK, but WHO DO YOU REPLACE HIM WITH ??? and how much it would costs.
                    Let's get real, JV is here to stay , so let's do the best we can with him (unless you can convince Hinkie to give up one of his bigs)
                    Replace him with Lou

I'm sure Casey would love for his C to be able to take step back fade aways all game long.
                    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Working...
                    X