X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
    @Apollo,

I think that in the past American players might have wanted to leave Toronto, but I don't think that's the case anymore.

The Face of the All Star game isn't a one night thing. Melo was all over the news for months leading up to the All Star game. His face was plastered over every advertisement for it. Professional athletes are ego maniacs. You have to be, you have to crave and love the attention (with some exceptions like Kawhi). But for the most part being a quiet star is not what being a professional athlete is all about. Increasing your brand and being the face of a franchise or an all star game I think carries more weight than you're giving credit for.

Then again, I'm just a guy on the internet, so who knows? Lol
    I am also some dude on the Internet. There's a lot more going on during his contract than that game and the lead up. He's entering the prime years of his career.

Comment

Papa Burgundy wrote: View Post
      LMA and Demar would be the best 1-2 punch of deep 2pt jumpers ... whether that's good or bad.

Since most free agents are looking for 1-2 year deals before the new massive expected cap raises, why not spend those 2 years by joining an all-star backcourt in the weaker conference ... and take a few easy runs at the conference finals?
      Demar wont be hear if LA is, I am confident Masai is smart enough to see that is a bad idea.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        No, I'm not putting words in his mouth. I'm speculating on his views of the organization based on everything that happened during the lead up to him leaving and all things after his departure.
        And you're saying he'll transfer those views to Aldridge. Isn't that putting words in his mouth?

Anyways, we're sort of getting off topic. It's possible that Bosh has sour memories of Toronto, and it's possible that he might convey that message to Aldridge, and it's possible Aldridge is easily influenced by Bosh's opinion.

But it's just as likely that none of the above happens, which what my initial response to you was trying to suggest. For every negative point against Toronto, there are positive points as well. We don't know how heavily Aldridge weighs one point over the other, so to outright dismiss the possibility of him signing here, isn't the most accurate of statements.

But if you were intentionally trying to be hyperbolic, then I take back everything I wrote

Comment

Well answer me this, who was the last big free agent signing by the Toronto Raptors? Just to help those "yes but that wasn't Ujiri" promoters, how many huge free agent signings did Ujiri make in another "non-big market" of Denver, Colorado?

It's difficult to win the FA sweepstakes.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

Well answer me this, who was the last big free agent signing by the Toronto Raptors? Just to help those "yes but that wasn't Ujiri" promoters, how many huge free agent signings did Ujiri make in another "non-big market" of Denver, Colorado?

Kyle Lowry last season.
            "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
            "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

Just Is wrote: View Post
              Kyle Lowry last season.
              Lowry was different because he played here. This gets back to my point in a way: There's nothing wrong with Toronto except the perception of those outside.

Comment

Just Is wrote: View Post
                Kyle Lowry last season.
                Meh. Lowry was a Tier 2 or Tier 3 free agent who was our guy and no other true options were there at the money Toronto was offering.

LMA is a Tier 1 free agent with 8 teams offering him the max (or close enough to it to be immaterial). Entirely different animal.

Comment

I agree.

Comment

I am also some dude on the Internet. There's a lot more going on during his contract than that game and the lead up. He's entering the prime years of his career.
                    We're all dudes on the Internet... Gawking at this (this one's for you Apollo - Rogers wins life):

A video posted by Olivia Munn (@oliviamunn) on

“The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• One last word on the matter. There is no evidence that the perception of the Raptors has changed and you won't get that until someone big actually signs. If some big free agent signs I'll be right there with you celebrating... That however is a big 'if' considering where the team is and where it's been...

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                        One last word on the matter. There is no evidence that the perception of the Raptors has changed and you won't get that until someone big actually signs. If some big free agent signs I'll be right there with you celebrating... That however is a big 'if' considering where the team is and where it's been...
                        Disagree.

The fact he will listen to toronto is a big deal in helping change perception.

For most Raptors were never an option.

Baby steps.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                          Disagree.

The fact he will listen to toronto is a big deal in helping change perception.

For most Raptors were never an option.

Baby steps.
                          Agreed.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
                            One last word on the matter. There is no evidence that the perception of the Raptors has changed and you won't get that until someone big actually signs. If some big free agent signs I'll be right there with you celebrating... That however is a big 'if' considering where the team is and where it's been...
                            Who is the last big free agent to sign in San Antonio? I can think of literally none.

Who is the last big free agent to sign in NYK? I got nothing.

Who is the last big free agent to sign in LA? Shaq?

It's a pretty much useless benchmark you're setting there. Most guys end up staying with their current team, and big name players typically only move around via trade. Aldridge is going to be one of those rare exceptions, like Dwight was when he signed with Houston. There are lots of arguments to make on why or why not sign with Toronto, but the whole "they haven't signed a huge free agent recently" is not one of them.

We maintained our big time UFA in Lowry over Miami and Houston, who were offering close to the same money albeit a bit less. Patterson turned down a larger offer from Orlando to stay in Toronto. Those two signings tell me the perception has already changed, and if we get Aldridge, we can put this myth to bed.

Comment

• IF:

1) We can convince LMA that we are finals contenders with him
                              2) Entice Portland for a S&T

THEN:

We can offer LMA more money than any other team, and also a quick route to the NBA finals.

THUS:

We are LMA's best choice.
                              The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                                IF:

1) We can convince LMA that we are finals contenders with him
                                2) Entice Portland for a S&T

THEN:

We can offer LMA more money than any other team, and also a quick route to the NBA finals.

THUS:

We are LMA's best choice.
                                Not under the current CBA, those kind of sign and trades are no longer allowed. You can only sign and trade a player for what the team they're going to could have offered them in free agency, e.g. the 4 year max deal, not the 5 year max deal from bird rights.

Comment

Working...
                                X