Everything Bismack Biyombo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
    So you're so confident in Bebe, you don't think we need to sign a 3rd C?
    I'm very confident in Bebe being able to handle the back up C spot (even moreso since he actually can play a little at the 4 as well).

You sign a 3rd back up C because Bebe's biggest issue is his durability.
    "My biggest concern as a coach is to not confuse winning with progress." - Steve Kerr
    "If it's unacceptable in defeat, it's unacceptable in victory." - Jeff Van Gundy

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post
      I'm very confident in Bebe being able to handle the back up C spot (even moreso since he actually can play a little at the 4 as well).

The issue with Bebe is that he hasn't had a shot at consistent minutes yet. He's shown flashes of brilliance, and disappointment. I think we need to see him play some consistent backup minutes before we pass on him. He's got a pretty unique skill set for a 7 footer. I'd compare him to Alexis Ajinca, with a little more offensive skill. Bebe has shown he has great touch with the pass, can finish alley oops, and has been working on his short-mid range jumper. I think he needs work on his conditioning and defensive instincts, but he's definitely capable of being a solid back up center.

Comment

• Just Is wrote: View Post

It's not like we need a whole lot from Bebe. Hit shots when wide open, set screens, don't be a complete defensive liability.

Literally all we need from our backup center.
        twitter.com/anthonysmdoyle

Comment

• Biz was great, feel good year, high emotional impact for the fans, but I agree you can find find a backup big who will give you 80%+ of what he gave for less than half the cost of what he's likely to command. Considering the roster still has needs elsewhere (starting 4, backup 3), that's the best overall direction for the team. Most of BB's opportunity for impact came because of JV injuries, and you have to plan as tho he'll be healthy next year.

The only mitigating factor is BB talking about taking a discount. We'll see how serious he is about that.
          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

• There's also the problem of the better the backup C is, the less time Valanciunas is going to get.

Comment

• Raptorsnz wrote: View Post
              There's also the problem of the better the backup C is, the less time Valanciunas is going to get.
              You don't give JV significantly less minutes. Maybe 3-4. You give him additional touches to increase his impact and have him go harder. Then you do get your bench center to dominate the other team's bench. More points with JV and the starters. More points from your bench. You win more games. JV is more rested when you enter the playoffs. Kyle and DeMar don't have to carry as much of a load.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                You don't give JV significantly less minutes. Maybe 3-4. You give him additional touches to increase his impact and have him go harder. Then you do get your bench center to dominate the other team's bench. More points with JV and the starters. More points from your bench. You win more games. JV is more rested when you enter the playoffs. Kyle and DeMar don't have to carry as much of a load.
                LESS minutes for JV? LESS minutes?

He played 26 MPG this year. He needs to be at 32 minimum next year.

Comment

You want to play our second best player 22 minutes a game?

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                    LESS minutes for JV? LESS minutes?

He played 26 MPG this year. He needs to be at 32 minimum next year.
                    Yeah, I was thinking a few less than what he SHOULD be playing...34 minutes is what I have believed was necessary. I misspoke myself. But over the course of the season, I think there are matchups in which JV should play less than Biyombo. Faster more mobile bigs. Bigs with an outside shot where BB's faster recovery time would allow him to cover and still get back for rim protection. I don't think you pick a starting five and that is it, matchups be damned. Maybe you always start JV but, depending on the opponent, maybe he comes out after the first 3-4 minutes and BB goes in for 8-10. It depends on what makes sense. It depends on the matchups. Having such different bigs gives you the ability to play smart basketball with two completely different looks.

Of course, what you do also depends on who MU gets as a PF.

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking a few less than what he SHOULD be playing...34 minutes is what I have believed was necessary. I misspoke myself. But over the course of the season, I think there are matchups in which JV should play less than Biyombo. Faster more mobile bigs. Bigs with an outside shot where BB's faster recovery time would allow him to cover and still get back for rim protection. I don't think you pick a starting five and that is it, matchups be damned. Maybe you always start JV but, depending on the opponent, maybe he comes out after the first 3-4 minutes and BB goes in for 8-10. It depends on what makes sense. It depends on the matchups. Having such different bigs gives you the ability to play smart basketball with two completely different looks.

Faster more mobile bigs stand no chance of guarding JV. So as long as we are willing to go to JV and let him dominate those matchups, we can force any smaller bigs out of the game.

Comment

You do not beat faster teams trying to match their speed on the defensive end. You beat them by slowing down the pace and negating that advantage by forcing a slow halfcourt game. Biyombo's quickness had little to no impact on him matching up against guys like Love and Frye in the Conf Finals. And it was like that all year.

It helps mostly on switches, but if you're having to switch a lot that's probably not a good sign. We aren't a Miami (esp the LeBron years) or GSW where we have lots of athletic defenders of similar sizes and defensive ability (and don't necessarily have the best interior play). We can't play with lots of trapping and switching on the perimeter.

This playoffs convinced me more than ever that we absolutely need to go against this small ball fad. Maybe down the line as our personnel changes, but at the moment we're at our best playing defensive, low-turnover (we're not good at making decisions when the pace picks up...if it's not turnovers it's rushed shots that fuel the other team's break) basketball where we'll have to become a bit more efficient offensively as a team.

Comment

• Barolt wrote: View Post
                          Faster more mobile bigs stand no chance of guarding JV. So as long as we are willing to go to JV and let him dominate those matchups, we can force any smaller bigs out of the game.
                          He's at his worst if he has to guard bigs with a three point shot. He doesn't have the speed to contest and recover. I'm not making myself very clear here.

Comment

He's at his worst if he has to guard bigs with a three point shot. He doesn't have the speed to contest and recover. I'm not making myself very clear here.
                            But those guys can't guard JV either.

And if he's hitting his shots in the paint at ~60-65% because he's being guarded by a smaller guy, they have to hit their 3s at ~42-45%, every possession, to keep pace. I think that's a reasonable gamble.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              ..This playoffs convinced me more than ever that we absolutely need to go against this small ball fad. Maybe down the line as our personnel changes, but at the moment we're at our best playing defensive, low-turnover (we're not good at making decisions when the pace picks up...if it's not turnovers it's rushed shots that fuel the other team's break) basketball where we'll have to become a bit more efficient offensively as a team.
                              Again, I think it depends on matchups. If MU can find a mobile 4 who can guard the big 3 pt shooters, and leave JV at home in the paint,. all is well and good. But I see your point and don't disagree in principle. JV can dominate on the offensive end. It's he D when matched up a big who can stretch the floor that is an issue.

I love JV and value his contributions highly. But he has foot speed issues.

Comment

Again, I think it depends on matchups. If MU can find a mobile 4 who can guard the big 3 pt shooters, and leave JV at home in the paint,. all is well and good. But I see your point and don't disagree in principle. JV can dominate on the offensive end. It's he D when matched up a big who can stretch the floor that is an issue.

I love JV and value his contributions highly. But he has foot speed issues.
                                But again, you're not going to win that battle with a quicker centre. Shooting bigs don't pull up with the ball like Stephen Curry. They get kickouts, meaning they have space...no one is closing that space. Chandler wasn't helping Dallas win by chasing guys out off the 3 pt line. They would zone up a lot against faster, smaller matchups, and thankfully for them Miami also wasn't the best shooting team for a small ball club.

When Biyombo is defending a shooter he often does a terrible job because his instincts, like most Cs, tell him to help in the lane. He gives up many open 3s when his man is off the ball, which again is often the case with big shooters.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X