The Reason Behind Masai's 2015 Off-Season Moves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Reason Behind Masai's 2015 Off-Season Moves

The theme of this off-season has been quite clear. Masai has gone after plus defenders and a rookie who is mature and known for his defense. I'd like to start a discussion as to why this was Masai's course of action. Was it because:
    1. Casey complained that the players he had lacked certain attributes for his system to work, and that he could assuredly implement a top defensive team if given the right players for the job.
    2. We ranked poorly in defense during the season and in the playoffs, so it was the logical move to make
    3. The Raptors have enough offensive potency that they didn't need additional offensive players
    4. We had no chance at prime offensively minded FAs, so instead we told defensive players we will give them an offensive role
    5. Insert Your Own Reasoning Here

Marz wrote: View Post
    The theme of this off-season has been quite clear. Masai has gone after plus defenders and a rookie who is mature and known for his defense. I'd like to start a discussion as to why this was Masai's course of action. Was it because:
    1. Casey complained that the players he had lacked certain attributes for his system to work, and that he could assuredly implement a top defensive team if given the right players for the job.
    2. We ranked poorly in defense during the season and in the playoffs, so it was the logical move to make
    3. The Raptors have enough offensive potency that they didn't need additional offensive players
    4. We had no chance at prime offensively minded FAs, so instead we told defensive players we will give them an offensive role
    None of the big moves were pro-active. If Milsap leaves DC is resigned by Atlanta and if LMA doesn't join the Spurs CoJo stays. Guys kinda fell into MU's lap. Trading GV made sense but Lou and Amir probably get resigned if the other two event dont happen.

Comment

It seems to me like he's only going to make trades he knows he won (asset wise), emphasize picks, or players under 30 with a complete game, and stay deep and somewhat competitive until either or both a) THE trade presents itself and/or b) a home run draft pick (primo pasta pick 2016?)
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

As for the original post, reasons 1-4 are all applicable and have some merit. I don't care what anyone says, I'd rather field a strong roster with flexibility and wait to pounce than go the sixer route.
        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Even though it's taken way longer than I personally prefer, I really think he's essentially still evaluating the core of the team and Casey. For the past few years, MU has pointed to the summer of 2016 as the critical team-building period. It's no coincidence that during that offseason:

- Casey's contract will be finished
          - DeRozan will take action to show his intentions
          - core (DeRozan & Lowry) will have shown what they can do
          - young players (Valanciunas, Ross, Patterson) will have had a few seasons to improve
          - they will have 2 1st round picks in the current and next draft
          - they will have tons of cap space (granted, most teams will, but it still speaks to preserving financial flexibility)

It makes sense, even though it makes the past couple seasons (and this upcoming season) seem like a complete waste of time. However, the playoff run greatly increased the hype around the Raptors among new, casual and 'fair weather' fans, increased local/Canadian (and even US) media coverage, kicked off the "We the North" campaign, and will culminate this season by welcoming new jerseys and the all-star game.

MU's approach (timing, really) might irk some of the hardcore fans, but from a franchise management perspective, he and TL have been extremely shrewd.
          Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Fri Jul 10, 2015, 02:09 AM.

Comment

Yeah he addressed the issues from last season. However it is important to also point out that the fact that we were never going to get guys like Middleton or Harris because they were restricted and their teams were prepared to match any cap sheet offer. We got one of the bigger free agents this time round and that is really to say something. Last time we got a decent FA we got Turkolu, and no one was happy or atleast I wasn't impressed because there were other people that we could have or should have thrown money towards like shawn marion. This time we finally went after defensive minded personell and top/elite personell. don't forget this guy was mentored by tony allen. The only other option would have been to go after a 4/power forward, however we have struggled at the 3 spot for the longest time. The last time we had a 3 who could defend and contribute offensively was.... Don't worry ill wait for you to say the answer.....

All in all im happy and yeah.

Lastly on a side note change the title bruh..... his name is Masai not Masa lol.

Comment

Masai has acquired 4 first round picks over the next 2 years (although only 1 may end up being lottery). We are continuing to build on our successes without sacrificing too much and strengthening up some of our bigger weaknesses. Although we may not be east contenders we are still left in a good position.
              in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

Frank Vogel of the Indiana Pacers comments on coaching a team with personnel changes:

"There will be some challenges, but that's what coaching is about: adjusting. Every year you have changes on your roster and you have to tailor your system to the roster. That's a challenge year in and year out, and that's something I enjoy."

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/sto...-season-070815

The problem with the way that Masai Ujiri has gone about rebuilding the Toronto Raptors is that he has adjusted the team to match his coach's system, rather than asking the coach to adjust his system to the talents of his players. It's completely backwards.

I will give Coach Casey credit for adjusting his offence--fourth in the NBA--to the players he had last year, but not for adjusting his defence, which fell off dramatically from the previous season. With the exception of Lou Williams, he never seems to create systems to take advantage of his players' strengths, or to hide their weaknesses.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  Even though it's taken way longer than I personally prefer, I really think he's essentially still evaluating the core of the team and Casey. For the past few years, MU has pointed to the summer of 2016 as the critical team-building period. It's no coincidence that during that offseason:

- young players (Valanciunas, Ross, Patterson) will have had a few seasons to improve
                  - they will have tons of cap space (granted, most teams will, but it still speaks to preserving financial flexibility)

It makes sense, even though it makes the past couple seasons (and this upcoming season) seem like a complete waste of time. However, the playoff run greatly increased the hype around the Raptors among new, casual and 'fair weather' fans, increased local/Canadian (and even US) media coverage, kicked off the "We the North" campaign, and will culminate this season by welcoming new jerseys and the all-star game.

MU's approach (timing, really) might irk some of the hardcore fans, but from a franchise management perspective, he and TL have been extremely shrewd.
                  I guess the biggest question mark I have moving forward is DD's status. DD could leave next year and we get nothing. MU does seem to be shrewd re assest management and marketing. MU seems to be growing closer and closer to DC. In managing people a good manager can bring out the strengths in their personnel and work on improving their areas of weakness. When you have someone who cannot adapt and is inflexible, changing some staff may help but to suit the systems in place but you will never achieve the full potential. DC is stubborn and inflexible--he will not change. Let's see if his system and structure will work better with new personnel. I am skeptical.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post

"Tons" of cap space is a little strong. If they let Ross, JJ, Scola and DeMar walk, and JV is not signed to an extension so only his cap hold is on the cap, they will have 23M or so in cap room. That's enough for an RFA max (equivalent to about 16M this summer) but not enough for a DeMar/Durant age max.

If they extend both Ross and JV this summer, odds are at least 10M of that disappears. At that point they are better off giving DD whatever he wants to keep him as a (hopefully) tradeable asset and add via trade. Also note that the MLE will be much less valuable, as it does not scale with the cap.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                      None of the big moves were pro-active. If Milsap leaves DC is resigned by Atlanta and if LMA doesn't join the Spurs CoJo stays. Guys kinda fell into MU's lap. Trading GV made sense but Lou and Amir probably get resigned if the other two event dont happen.
                      I'd say MU's biggest move, Demarre Carrol's $60M contract, was very pro-active. He was there bright and early at his home and went strong with recruitment. Atlanta hadn't shown much interest at that point, so I think the Milsap leaving point is moot - yes, I read reports that it was between Milsap and DC, but that decision had already been made I feel when Atlanta didn't try to court DC very strongly.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post
                        "Tons" of cap space is a little strong. If they let Ross, JJ, Scola and DeMar walk, and JV is not signed to an extension so only his cap hold is on the cap, they will have 23M or so in cap room. That's enough for an RFA max (equivalent to about 16M this summer) but not enough for a DeMar/Durant age max.

If they extend both Ross and JV this summer, odds are at least 10M of that disappears. At that point they are better off giving DD whatever he wants to keep him as a (hopefully) tradeable asset and add via trade. Also note that the MLE will be much less valuable, as it does not scale with the cap.
                        So then we end up with the same lineup next season? I think we can get away without a starting PF for one season, but not for the foreseeable future. Unless you believe Masai is going in the small-ball direction, which makes no sense unless we trade JV a la Roy Hibbert.

Comment

So then we end up with the same lineup next season? I think we can get away without a starting PF for one season, but not for the foreseeable future. Unless you believe Masai is going in the small-ball direction, which makes no sense unless we trade JV a la Roy Hibbert.
                          Oh, there would almost certainly be an attempt to bring in another star level player through trade. Just saying, cap room is increasingly looking like it is not the route Masai is looking to take.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

They don't need free agency to get better in 2016.. after all they should hopefully be getting a lottery pick to join their team. Horford would be awesome though in the starting unit.

Comment

So then we end up with the same lineup next season?
                              Highly unlikely. The Raptors won't be using all 4 first rounders over the next 2 years cause there won't be any room on the roster for all of them, so at least one or two of those will eventually be moved and other roster spots will open up.

Comment

Working...
                              X